Currently: Offline
Re: *The Official "Full Circle" Reviews Thread*

Boston Globe Review:
Quote: Creed, 'Full Circle'
November 2, 2009

Creed Full Circle
Wind Up
ESSENTIAL “Away in Silence’’

Creed’s reunion album proves that sometimes a little - no, make that a lot - of humbling can be good for a rock band. Once you get past the opening salvo, the obvious arena-pleaser “Overcome’’ (derivative of Creed!), the hard rockers offer up a muscular set that can be interpreted as singer Scott Stapp’s plea for redemption. Stapp has written lyrics that look transparently at his failures and weaknesses. While he is not poetic, he is affecting in his nakedness and honesty. On “Suddenly,’’ he writes, “So suddenly, hit with what I’ve lost/ Suddenly my world is falling apart.’’ On the title track, he sings, “Took for granted what you should have preserved.’’ Virtually every song is influenced by the same sentiments. The sound, crisply produced by Howard Benson, is based around Mark Tremont’s bulldozer guitar work, swelling choruses, and Stapp’s still overly Eddie Vedder-esque howling. Two acoustic songs, “Rain’’ and the superb “Away in Silence’’ (“I’m not the man I used to be,’’ Stapp sings), are the best tracks, full of nuance and less reliance on conventional arm-swaying Creed tendencies. Creed has always been one of rock’s punching bags, but this album, at least, shows it can take a punch.

One Nation. Indivisible.