Thread: Daily Bread
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #3073
Sasa
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

Multi-tasking (NOT)

Do you know that noone can really multi-task? The brain is not set up that way. We only have the potential to focus on one thing at a time. So instead of multi-tasking what we are really doing is switching from thing at time quickly. Some have the gift of switching tasks faster and staying focused on each one without getting flustered.

I have learned that though we may think we can, we can't. When we are in a stressful situation we can become emotionally hijacked and our focus becomes shifted on to the stressor and it is taken away from our task. In order to shift it back to the task at hand. We have to stop and take time to literally shift back. Take breaths, count to 10, visualize. anything to shift the focus away from the stressor.

Yesterday I saved my manniquin patient...Yay! Interesting thing is it was the same scenario with different meds and a different problem but the same situation. Physician ordering...read back...except this time I said wait...this is not right. You are going to have to give me a new order. You can't put Lovenox in an IV. As soon as I said that the person behind the one way mirror said ..Stop...scene complete, you guys are finished.

The entire two days...taught us how to work together as a team and how to be assertive and a patient advocate in the face of authority. Because to err is human. We all make mistakes. It is up to each one of us to have each others backs and to not be afraid to say. I don't know everything but my gut is telling me something is not right. We have to be able to swallow our pride, crucify the ego and reach out to each other for help and also help each other when we see a brother or sister in need, don't let them hang themselves.

"We are our brother's keeper..." In every situation...

This professor has flown helicopters for the Navy, and also flown into major storms, he also teaches meteorology, safety and aviation at a local university. He told us stories, and taught us amazing concepts that changed who I am. Awesome human being. He touched my heart and changed who I am in two days. That is pretty powerful stuff. People are amazing.

I kept thinking he was a mind reader because he called me out in front of everyone and said ...didn't you say you were feeling a little anxious today? I thought to myself I didn't say it out loud but yes...I said that. He looked at me and said, you are not the only one. How sweet is that?

Have a great day!

Last edited by Sasa : 10-11-2012 at 06:08 AM.