View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by addicted2stapp) Woah, I didn't know any of this. Are you serious? I think it's stupid, it's good music, and should be free to anyone, they shouldn't have to pay to listen to it! I just think it's weird. I don't know of any New Zealand rock bands who do that here, probably because the companies don't have enough money for the request. J/k.

I think the real issue is that fact that the dancers make money...the club makes money....using the music in question. By law they are supposed to pay a licensing fee....I think I read that it amounts to less than $1,000 a year. A drop in the bucket compared to the bucks the club makes in a year. Its the same way if a company wants to use a song in a commercial....they stand to make money from the advertisement...therefore they are required to pay for the use of the song. Lots of early rock artists....people like Chuck Berry, etc. alot of them never earned what was rightfully theirs, because they never got the royalties they were entitled to. BMI is actually an organization that protects the rights of bands and songwriters to make sure they get what they are lawfully entitled to.