View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero

I love it, but then again, I loved The Fragile on the first listen as well. The only track I really don't dig that much is The Beginning of the End. It kind of reminds me of how I felt about The Hand That Feeds. I got tired of that one rather quickly, though it kicked major ass live. I think the songs flow pretty well as a concept album. It doesn't feel disjointed to me at all. A lot of people have complained about the similar-used song structure, but I don't know, I think it works in the context of what Trent's trying to set up. It is like a story told from different points of view. On a purely sonic note, I absolutely love all of the electronic noise. Though it's not new from Trent, I really like the way he's mixed it all up. It's as if he's tossed all those familiar noises up in the air and put them back together in a controlled-chaos sort of way. And, my being a fan of rhythm, I REALLY love the emphasis on bass and drums in this album. It's fucking sexy as hell. I can see myself dancing to this whole album. I'm going to get a great workout.

Vocally, I think it's great the way he twists the music around. There is a lot going on here that I couldn't hear at the listening party because they had the bass turned way the fuck up. He does a lot less shouting/screaming in this and there seems to be way more varying emotions. Could be age, and I mean that in a good way. He's not just railing; he's pointing things out and he's really trying to communicate even more, I think, in a more mature fashion. Oh, and sonically for me, this is a headphones album all the way. That's the only way I've listened to it so far.

I totally agree that YZ blows W_T out of the friggin water.