View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) For places to live, I would suggest California. I love it there. New York is definetly a place with oppurtunity. Maybe also Texas? You could work in Las Vegas or Reno if you want to be a showgirl.
Midwest, baby! our cost-of-living is the lowest in the nation, I believe. Gas prices here are only $1.70 or so. housing is also much much more affordable here. i remember when my dad's company was considering transfering him out to Cali about 7 years ago, he asked a guy out there how much it would cost to live in a 50-yr old house that's about 2000 sq ft on roughly 1/8 acre lot, in a AAA school district (i guess that's a good thing?), live within 30 mins of work, etc. I think the figure was well over $500,000. We bought our house for about $170,000. Plus it's nice and not crowded most places here (except Chicago, but they don't count b/c the Cubs suck). And we get all types of weather here in Missouri, all in moderation.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) Do not come and work as in illegal. Trust me when I say that we hate illegals coming in and taking our jobs and will try very hard to get rid of them. Usually we succeed. Also, it's illegal for the employer to hire an illegal and they'd face penalties too if caught.
i don't have much experience in terms of getting a job taken from an illegal, but as of right now, i don't mind the legals coming in & taking the jobs that we otherwise wouldn't like (cleaning crews, lawn mowing, etc.). but the illegals are a drain, receiving services from the federal, state & local gov'ts for which they don't pay (thru income & property taxes). but i do know people that have had difficulty finding work, an occurrence which they attributed to large numbers of immigrants concentrated in a relatively small area.