View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 09:08 PM   #11
Aimee
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Double Post

Quote: Uh, I knew we were hated, but maybe not to that extreme..  Me too. I guess I just can't conceive of anyone having that much hate for a collective country.  

I visited Turkey in 1996 (I found it to be much more Greek than Arabic by the way). There were two types of people, Turks who have stars in their eyes about America. They couldn't understand why we would choose to burn our own flag or wear it as underwear, but think it's awsesome that we at least have that right. Then there were the Kurds who hate America, Americans and everything capitalism stands for. These people were out on the streets of Istanbul hawking newspapers that propel hate for us. It would have frightened me if I had not been with a Turkish person. Even still, these people were not targeting Americans on the street. Their main aim was to push the hate by getting people to read their newspapers and thus think the way they do. There are thinkers and doers. If there are enough thinkers, then what the doers do seems right.