View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 03:38 PM   #38
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) Sorry, but Bush isnīt skilled enough to run your country. You deserve better.
While I'll admit Bush is not perhaps the most intelligent man on the face of the earth, we do have multiple branches of government in these here United States. So while the president may be the foremost figure/symbol of our nation, he, by no means, runs this place. The legislative branch was created, in our constitution, to be the strongest branch and while power has, over time, shifted toward the executive branch, the legislature is by no means lesser than the President. At this point in time, the two branches are roughly equal in power. However, when both houses of the legislature, both which consist of members of both parties (obvious statement here, but necessary for emphasis) vote to give the power to the executive to declare war, than room for bitching among anti-war sentiments is decreased. And as I conveniently learned in my philosophy class today, elected Democrats in the legislature have no room to complain that it's unjust b/c they're in the minority because, as members of an elected legislature in which majority rules, they already understand the "risks", etc. associated w/ being in the minority.