View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #34
RalphyS
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Spielberg's Munich causes controversy

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) Oftentimes, sex isn't a complement of love. As a Christian, I believe that God commanded for sex to take place between a man and his wife: there exists little doubt that they would love each other. However, today, people often confuse "true love" with more of an infatuated love. Do two high schoolers have a grasp on what love is, if they say they love each other? In my experience, no. To me, the mind of most 14-18 year olds doesn't quite grasp what exactly love is, and what it entails. They think it's just sort of a feeling you get when you're around someone, or missing someone when they're gone, etc. People, both in high school and college, take this false conception of what love is and take the next step: the belief they're ready for sex. Unfortunately, it's not quite so emotionally fulfilling when you realize that perhaps you don't really love this other person.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV) reads as follows:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

So, in my opinion, if you can honestly and truthfully say that you believe each and every one of these things about your relationship with your significant other, then it's love. If not, then you're more likely dealing with an infatuated love, in which obsession and lust (and perhaps sex) dominate open, honest communication, among these other things.

Well what I said before applies to love too, I think. Maybe 14-18 year olds don't know what "true love" is, but I have seen enough divorces of people in their 30's, 40's or even older, so they quite haven't grasped the concept either, I guess. Love is a subjective feeling, what you may consider love could be blind devotion to me, and what I consider love might be lust for you. Neither one of us should therefore tell the other what to do with their 'love'!

And as you might expect I do not feel there is anything wrong with 2 consenting adults having sex just for the fun of it. Whether a life consisting of only this is a fullfilling life is an entirely different matter.

Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love.
Butch Hancock

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl

Last edited by RalphyS : 01-26-2006 at 08:17 AM.