Thread: Daily Bread
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #1004
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

Quote: Quote: (Originally Posted by HeavenBesideYou) It is curious... Curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare.
Mark Twain
To trust the God of the Bible is to trust an irascible, vindictive, fierce and ever fickle and changeful master.
Mark Twain, a Biography

The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it...
Mark Twain's Notebook

Satan hasn't a single salaried helper; the Opposition employ a million.
Mark Twain

Between believing a thing and thinking you know is only a small step and quickly taken.
Mark Twain, "3,000 Years Among the Microbes"

When one reads Bibles, one is less surprised at what the Deity knows than at what He doesn't know.
Mark Twain's Notebook

The so-called Christian nations are the most enlightened and progressive...but in spite of their religion, not because of it. The Church has opposed every innovation and discovery from the day of Galileo down to our own time, when the use of anesthetic in childbirth was regarded as a sin because it avoided the biblical curse pronounced against Eve. And every step in astronomy and geology ever taken has been opposed by bigotry and superstition. The Greeks surpassed us in artistic culture and in architecture five hundred years before Christian religion was born.
Mark Twain, a Biography

Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
Mark Twain, Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Jesus died to save men--a small thing for an immortal to do, & didn't save many, anyway; but if he had been damned for the race that would have been act of a size proper to a god, & would have saved the whole race. However, why should anybody want to save the human race, or damn it either? Does God want its society? Does Satan?
Mark Twain, Notebook #42

So much blood has been shed by the Church because of an omission from the Gospel: "Ye shall be indifferent as to what your neighbor's religion is." Not merely tolerant of it, but indifferent to it. Divinity is claimed for many religions; but no religion is great enough or divine enough to add that new law to its code.
Mark Twain, a Biography

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven....The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste.
Mark Twain, "The Lowest Animal"

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. I would not interfere with any one's religion, either to strengthen it or to weaken it. I am not able to believe one's religion can affect his hereafter one way or the other, no matter what that religion may be. But it may easily be a great comfort to him in this life--hence it is a valuable possession to him.
Mark Twain, a Biography

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
Autobiography of Mark Twain

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
Mark Twain in Eruption

Do you really have nothing better to do than to spoil people's daily bread?
I mean , come on , is this thread really hurting you ?