Thread: Bush!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 04:41 AM   #46
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Sorry i didn't reply to that... Usually, after reading the first post or 2 after my latest one, i scroll down to the bottom (sometimes & get stopped @ said 1st 2). My answer to that is, no, it's not democracy. Not technically, anyway. I suppose our government tried to support the leader(s) whom they thought would be more receptive to democracy (or at least a freer system) once in power. Guys like Chiang Kai-Shek (Taiwan/the Republic of China), Saddam Hussein (we supported him in Iraq's war w/ Iran, b/c we, slightly ironically, opposed a religious military dictatoriship in the latter state), and... crikey, i had his name just a minute ago, and it just slipped away........... fuck, hopefully it'll come to me.
I'm not quite sure what you mean w/ the governor comment. You talking about Gray Davis & his recall in Cali (which Ahnold won)? To be honest, I don't recall the circumstances surrounding his recall, but I imagine that he was involved in some sort of scandal or other illicit activity (or perhaps the people, Left and Right alike, flat out disapproved of the job he was doing... a pretty odd reaction, electing a Republican in one of the most liberal states in the nation). But if I'm not mistaken, a recall election is well within the bounds of the Cali constitution, and there's nothing in our US constitution forbidding it. So, yes it is democracy, or at least California's brand of it (as espoused in its Constitution)