View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #26
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by - hayley -) I can't put it into the right words without making it sound horrible. I didn't actually mean people with down syndrome, I know that most of them live happy lives, I have a cousin who is effected by downsyndrome and he lives a good life. I meant people who have diseases that leave them capable of nothing at all. Like in Terri's case, you know the kind of diseases that I mean, I just don't know the names of them, lol. I think today's society with down syndrome is great, here we are very supportive and there are alot of events that they can go to, etc, it's really good here. And it would be great if the society could help the ones with incurable diseases, but there is nothing we can do! Nothing. That's why it's cruel to leave people like that alive, there is nothing anyone can do, I say it's better to put them to rest in peace.
I see what you're saying with people like Terri! I think that unless people tell their family and friends what they want in this type of scenario then they should be kept alive. If there is any doubt as to their wishes then surely they need to be kept alive. Oh I didn't know about your cousin but most down syndrome sufferers are really happy people but I agree its not the same when I think about it ( not comparable to Schiavo).

I
Quote: (Originally Posted by - hayley -) just can't understand why anyone would want to be kept alive. I honestly just don't understand, why would you live for nothing? Don't get me wrong I feel absolutley awful for everyone in the world that has to live with some kind of disease, but why would there be a point in life? It just makes me sad!
But you still can't claim to know what others would want. If a diehard right to lifer was in that scenario I'm not sure if that would change their minds. That is why people need to discuss this stuff with their family just in case as morbid as it sounds. I just hope I never have to much such a decision......
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie