Thread: Loss Of Peace
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 08:40 PM   #26
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I'm not going to cry anymore!!! Perhaps I can however tell you some of things that we have experienced. Premeditated assault, alliances, betrayal of friendships, theft, and threats.

Sadly it has reminded my of the reality shows that are on TV right now. Anything for money and power. The person that is the most devious and cruel, and can manipulate other people, doing whatever it takes, wins. There seem to be no values in some of the people involved. Betrayal and cruelty is a game to be played, no matter who gets hurt or used to achieve the desired goal.

When I was in school studying history, we learned about the Roman Coliseum. We learned about the horrors that occured there for entertainment. People pitted against animals to the death. People pitted against each other to the death, or the thumbs up, or thumbs down of the croud, deciding the fate of the gladiators. We could never understand how this could have happened in history. Cruelty for entertainment, was a shocking concept.

Now I see these shows entering our homes on the TV's, depicting situations and personalities, that have been hand picked to give the most shock value. They are called "Reality Shows". I never considered them to be a part of my "Reality", but now I have sadly been shown, that these warped values and personality traits exist in people that have touched our personal lives. As an adult, I have considered that these shows would have no effect on me, as my judgement and values are established. I truly worry about the children who may watch by our sides. Seeing the people who are considered the "winners" as cruel, lying and manipulitive. Traits accepted, and encouraged on these shows, to play the game well.

Well, reality really showed itself in an ugly way in our lives, and I won't ever accept those shows as entertainment again. How far will they continue to go, and are we not now the spectators in the Coliseum?

I know that many of us watch these shows, and I am not judging anyone. I am simply saying that perhaps we should stop and consider the effect, and loss of sensitivity our children may experience, watching week after week.

It's OK if you don't agree with my words. Just stop and think for a moment, it's all I ask.

I pray that nothing like this ever happens to any of you, or your loved ones.

I have had a huge reality check in my life.