Thread: Daily Bread
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #3032
Sasa
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

New Beginnings

A few weeks back we participated in the highly publicized "Color Run". 3 teens and myself. A niece, a daughter and a girlfriend of theirs. They had a slumber party the night before and when I woke up sleeping girls were all over my living room in a sea of junk food wrappers, empty potato chip bags and their shorts. My niece who has very long legs was hanging half way off the recliner where she was trying to find some peaceful sleep. I had to dodge may way around them to get to the kitchen at 4am for my coffee.

I woke these children up at 4:30 am, where they excitedly began to put their white clothes on and prepare for the happiest 5k on the planet. The drive was an hour and half trip. It rained, not only did it rain...It rained hard and consistantly for hours. As we arrived near the entrance of the motor speedway everyone else did too at the same time. Traffic was MAD..it was a brutal, long, slow drive into the event. 10,000 people showed up in the rain.
On the way in I saw these stickers on the back of vehicles that read: 13.1 and 26.2.

see photo: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7HPDEiQkq9...929_070727.jpg

I found out later they are called marathon stickers, you wear them proudly when you join the big leagues of running. I want one.

Once we finally got parked, the scene was amazing. Big people, little people, young and old were walking in white in the rain to the start line. The music was loud and everyone was in great spirits even though it was raining so hard we were all completely soaked from head to toe.

They started us off in groups of 1000, we all got into this little area where the MC would get everyone pepped up and screaming. We ran out of the starting gate on to the motor speed way without a car. HA! As we get to each check point in the rain...people were attacking us with paint. The girls had paint in their hair and up their nose. It was hilarious. I have never seen them laugh so much..In the RAIN. Keep in mind these are very self conscious teens. They loved it and I loved it.

As we approached mid way...we witnessed a boy about 12 doing belly flops in the side of the track in large water filled grassy areas. And suddenly grown men began to run down the hill, land on their belly's and slide as far as they could go..IN the RAIN. Of course the girls had to try this a few times. There is a moment when I thought to myself this is crazy...it is pouring rain..people are putting paint all over us...there is water up to our ankles in some areas and we are having a ball with thousands of other people. INSANE!

When we finished the course, we had to participate in the EPIC finish where you get in this very large crowd and throw the powder paint up in the air to create this massive rainbow cloud before it all drops back on to your body. The MC had the music LOUD...and he counted us down. Everyone opened their pouches of color and began to throw it wildly in the air. For a moment all you can hear is laughter, screaming, people jumping up in the air with hands high up over their bodies. I couldn't see anything but colored dust..but I totally felt the love and the beat of the music. It was fantastic. The Kids absolutely loved it and we had a beautiful day in the rain. It didn't stop raining until we got in the car to go home.

We had to stop in Walmart on our way home for a blood sugar monitor for the teen that was with me, she broke her's in the chaos. She has Type 1 diabetes and has to wear a pump on her stomach to give her insulin when her sugar gets too high. So we entered the store looking like we have been swimming in paint and mud. People stared a hole in us and some even turned up their nose. I just pretended nothing was wrong and did what I had to do, Quickly.

All in all it was a blessed day, and the girls love 5k's! They realized there is a new world of fun out there to participate in for a wonderful cause. The funds went to a local charity for people with disabilities called the "The ARC" spelled with a "C" instead of a "K". I thought that was funny considering that it totally flooded that day.

This morning I have a very important meeting to attend, I am meeting with the coordinator for Alzheimer's association to volunteer for our first 5k event. We are going to help organize and coordinate a 5k. They welcomed my daughter as well with open arms and said they would love to have her join in. She is at such an influential age right now. At 14 is where I took that turn and began drinking and smoking. I actually got drunk for the first time at 14.

So I read that if you put 5 trusting people in your kids life, 5 people they can talk to besides you. There is a less likely chance they will go down that hard road of development. I want to show her how she can have fun without getting drunk or smoking or doing drugs. She can have fun and do something good that will leave her feeling proud of her accomplishments and surround her with loving, compassionate people.

Its going to be a new journey. Going to make some new friends and have a lot of fun benefiting the community.

"If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give."

George MacDonald

I hope you have a Blessed, Amazing Day full of "little miracles"!

MC = Master of Ceremonies get it..MC instead of emcee

Last edited by Sasa : 09-15-2012 at 05:01 PM.