View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 12:46 AM   #24
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
OMG, Kim, I just about started crying when I read your post! I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's to the point now that my mom and I just don't discuss religion or God or anything related to it. She, too, has tried to *guilt* me back into the Catholic fold, but so far it hasn't worked. I think Sincirr might be onto something as well regarding the loss of tradition and all.

Also, one of the biggest things that floored me as a kid was the nuns drilling into our heads the belief that the Catholic religion was the only true religion. When I questioned that belief, innocently enough during religion class in eighth grade, by citing Judaism and other religions that think theirs is the only one, I was humiliated by the teacher in front of the whole class and then sent to the principal's office for a scathing dressing down. I went home in tears, and to my mother's credit, she stuck up for me simply because I was just asking a question for a further explanation of something that didn't make sense to me as a 13-year-old. Those years are awkward enough without getting further embarassed. Right then, my foundation of faith in that religion was severely shaken. Other things happened that I won't go into that made me seek another spiritual path, and for me, it doesn't involve organized religion. But that's just me.

Kim, if what you have found makes you feel closer to God, that should be proof enough that it's right for you. I know from feeling spiritually dead with Catholicism. And besides, you are an adult with the right to make your own decisions. I can understand your mom being upset and all, but she should realize what you do have and be happy that God's in your life.