CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Scott Interview.. (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=7324)

Lucy 09-02-2004 03:08 AM

Scott Interview..
 
I saw this posted somewhere else.. and I thought I'd share.. :)

LINK

Creed's Scott Stapp finds himself alone

NEW YORK, Aug 28, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- Being a solo artist may not have been what former Creed singer Scott Stapp had in mind.

Still, a decade after he and songwriting partner and guitarist Mark Tremonti formed the popular rock band, Stapp finds himself with a solo single on the radio, starring alone in a music video and sharing the spotlight -- and responsibilities -- with no one else.

"It's different, definitely," Stapp recently told United Press International. "I've worked with Mark and the other guys for so long. I guess you could say the onus is all on me now."

Tremonti also has a new single, "Open Your Eyes," which is in the Top 10 just a few weeks after its release.

The guitarist, however, is not alone.

In a well-publicized split, Tremonti formed a new band, Alter Bridge, taking original Creed bassist Brian Marshall and Creed drummer Scott Phillips with him. He added former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy to the line up on lead vocals. Alter Bridge's debut album, "One Day Remains," came out Aug. 10.

Fans may have a tough time imagining Stapp and Tremonti apart. Together, the two musicians formed one of the strongest rock songwriting teams of the past decade.

Stapp and Tremonti, who formed Creed in 1995 in Tallahassee, Fla., built a band, and a reputation, on their songwriting abilities, turning out radio friendly, yet thoughtful and intelligent tunes that made the band members stars.

During their tenure, Creed sold more than 30 million albums, won a number of industry awards, including 2002 Billboard Music Awards group of the year honors, and released several hit singles, including "With Arms Wide Open," "My Sacrifice" and "Higher."

The band's third album, "Weathered," debuted at No. 1 in November 2001, proving the rockers were at the top of their game.

While fans wanted more of the same, the close-knit team had already started unraveling, with Tremonti talking of doing his own gig, an idea that first started taking shape four or five years ago, Stapp said.

"Mark was initially going to sing and write all the songs for his project. So where does that leave me? I am a co-songwriter," Stapp said.

"That was something that he wanted, to go out on his own and take the spotlight, because as a singer, you get the brunt of the good and the brunt of the bad, which he'll learn. I think Mark was ready to blossom and step out himself."

Official word came in June of the band's demise, but the split had happened months earlier, with some reports saying the musicians' attempt last November to work on a fourth album ended after several days in the studio because of arguments.

While Tremonti issued quotes via news releases of his sadness at the break up, but his readiness to move on, and openly discussed the split in interviews, often insinuating Stapp was to blame, Stapp stayed quiet.

"I'm not about to air my family laundry and be negative about people I love and have shared so many experiences and memories with. There are people out there who are involved that find it easier to blame somebody else for whatever reason. If there's a particular reason, I'll take the blame. I had a lot of personal things going on, emotionally and physically with my health and I really didn't share that with the public or my band like I should have. I know for a fact that was not the cause of us breaking up, so to speak, or moving on with our solo projects. But what it did was, it accelerated the process," he said.

Without his bandmates, Stapp set out to launch a solo career.

When Hollywood actor/director Mel Gibson came calling with an idea, the project was just what Stapp needed to jump start his solo gig.

Stapp was invited to view a private screening of a rough cut of "The Passion of the Christ," a film that would go on to be the second top-grossing film at the U.S. box office to-date in 2004. After watching the film, Stapp was asked if he would consider writing a song for an album of music inspired by the film.

"I think they reached out to me because a lot of people assumed, and rightfully so based on a lot of the analogies and references I made in my career with Creed, that I was a Christian or that we were a Christian band," Stapp said.

The result of the offer is "Relearn Love," the first single already at radio from "Passion of the Christ: Songs," which will be released Tuesday.

For Stapp, writing the song was about more than getting a cut on the album. "Relearn Love" signified a change of direction for the singer/songwriter.

"I was in the process of a heart transplant, so to speak, a heart change," Stapp said, explaining that during his years in Creed, he had struggled with being a Christian, but started rediscovering his faith about two years ago.

"I felt like my heart was callused and jaded and I had begun asking God in my personal relationship if He would change my heart and make it new, to give again and love again.

"Ironically, I got a call about the film and met with ... Mel Gibson. It was finally like final confirmation. I felt like it was a sign that this was something I should be involved with."

Because of the changes going on with him personally at the time, Stapp had started writing the chorus of "Relearn Love." Watching "The Passion of the Christ" inspired the direction and the tone for the verses and bridge, he said.

Stapp now is in the midst of his full-fledged solo career. He is recording tracks for a new album and brought in Canadian band The Tea Party, musicians he has admired for several years, to back him, he said. A tour no doubt will follow the release of new music.

Whatever Stapp's solo career becomes, he is adamant he will not attempt to make it a Creed clone.

"That's something I would never try to emulate or try to do better because it is what it is. And I think me and Mark together are way better than we are individually," Stapp said.

"As far as I'm concerned, the door is always open," Stapp said. "If he's ever wanting to get back together, I'm sure that's a definite reality and possibility."

jammy123 09-02-2004 07:35 AM

the same thing is on PBF....

Lucy 09-02-2004 08:46 AM

Yep.. but I saw it on the Pit..

Bridge of Clay 09-02-2004 08:47 AM

(no comments)

Echelon Soldier 09-02-2004 10:03 AM

lol
 
Brian Marshall was the founder of creed. edit... correction i should have said....brian was co-founder of creed. my bad.

musiclover291 09-02-2004 10:12 AM

Thanks for the article.

Bridge of Clay 09-02-2004 10:44 AM

Quote:

"Mark was initially going to sing and write all the songs for his project. So where does that leave me? I am a co-songwriter," Stapp said.

"That was something that he wanted, to go out on his own and take the spotlight, because as a singer, you get the brunt of the good and the brunt of the bad, which he'll learn. I think Mark was ready to blossom and step out himself."


riiiight... :rolleyes:

That's why Mark has been singing since the beginning of the "project"...

musiclover291 09-02-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
riiiight... :rolleyes:

That's why Mark has been singing since the beginning of the "project"...


I thought Mark original side project was going to be a solo project and then it developed into a band with a heavier sound.

crest tattoo 09-02-2004 09:13 PM

Figured I better get my hinny on here somewhere so I'm not deleted from the boards.
I am shocked at how Scott seems to be so open to having the band regroup...Is it me or is he being naive? At this point, I don't see them (with a top 10 hit already) saying, "Sorry Myles..." I know it happens though, but I don't see it at this point.

TeriB19 09-02-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crest tattoo
Figured I better get my hinny on here somewhere so I'm not deleted from the boards.
I am shocked at how Scott seems to be so open to having the band regroup...Is it me or is he being naive? At this point, I don't see them (with a top 10 hit already) saying, "Sorry Myles..." I know it happens though, but I don't see it at this point.

Joy, we'd never let you go, babe!! And I'm not sure if Scott is being naive or just not accepting the reality of the fact that Mark and co. are done with Creed. Mark has said in many different interviews that Alter Bridge is the band they plan to retire with.

Guitar One mag has the following quote from Mark:
"The last thing we wanted to do was replace Scott {Stapp} and play cover Creed songs." says Tremnti of the group he hopes to ride into the sunset of his career. "We'll never play a Creed song as long as we live........"

I am a fan of both Mark and Scott and I am not taking anyones' side in any of this. But I do think Stapp needs to accept that the door to Creed has been closed for good.

Bridge of Clay 09-02-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclover291
I thought Mark original side project was going to be a solo project and then it developed into a band with a heavier sound.


He had a metal project to be named Downshifter that never got off the ground since Human Clay. It was supposed to feature the guys from Sevendust. That was one project. AB was/is another "project".

It kinda went like this:

Soon after the weathered tour ended, he was itchy to be playing and started writing. Then they had the Creed jam sessions that went wrong.

Then the extended break talk started. The solo projects were announced, but everybody knew Flip was to work with Mark. Soon after, we learned that this project wasn't the Downshifter one. A couple weeks later, Brian was in.

Then it took longer to find a singer... and voila, Alter Bridge was officially born. But way before Mark stated that despite he took singing lessons, he wouldn't be singing on this project because he doesn't like the attention.

That's why I rolled my eyes. Kinda contradicts to what Stapp said, doesn't it?

Well, I'm just summing things up... If I got the order of the facts wrong, please fell free to correct me.

musiclover291 09-03-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
He had a metal project to be named Downshifter that never got off the ground since Human Clay. It was supposed to feature the guys from Sevendust. That was one project. AB was/is another "project".

It kinda went like this:

Soon after the weathered tour ended, he was itchy to be playing and started writing. Then they had the Creed jam sessions that went wrong.

Then the extended break talk started. The solo projects were announced, but everybody knew Flip was to work with Mark. Soon after, we learned that this project wasn't the Downshifter one. A couple weeks later, Brian was in.

Then it took longer to find a singer... and voila, Alter Bridge was officially born. But way before Mark stated that despite he took singing lessons, he wouldn't be singing on this project because he doesn't like the attention.

That's why I rolled my eyes. Kinda contradicts to what Stapp said, doesn't it?

Well, I'm just summing things up... If I got the order of the facts wrong, please fell free to correct me.


Thanks for the information. I'm not sure either but sounds good.

Lucy 09-03-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
He had a metal project to be named Downshifter that never got off the ground since Human Clay. It was supposed to feature the guys from Sevendust. That was one project. AB was/is another "project".

It kinda went like this:

Soon after the weathered tour ended, he was itchy to be playing and started writing. Then they had the Creed jam sessions that went wrong.

Then the extended break talk started. The solo projects were announced, but everybody knew Flip was to work with Mark. Soon after, we learned that this project wasn't the Downshifter one. A couple weeks later, Brian was in.

Then it took longer to find a singer... and voila, Alter Bridge was officially born. But way before Mark stated that despite he took singing lessons, he wouldn't be singing on this project because he doesn't like the attention.

That's why I rolled my eyes. Kinda contradicts to what Stapp said, doesn't it?

Well, I'm just summing things up... If I got the order of the facts wrong, please fell free to correct me.



Mmm.. contradiction is what you see.. I see two different 'sides' and they will never end to a common path.. them both have their reasons..

musiclover291 09-03-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy
Mmm.. contradiction is what you see.. I see two different 'sides' and they will never end to a common path.. them both have their reasons..


Good point.

Bridge of Clay 09-03-2004 08:44 AM

Yes, you're right. I meant what you said.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Steve Caponetto. All Rights Reserved.