CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   rok n roll hall of fame (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9170)

TeriB19 06-01-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
I can actually play air drums to quite a few songs, and I have absolutely no training in percussion.

Wow, I'd LOVE to not hear you play!!! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
you can be a fan of something, and still recognize its flaws. It's what one might call being more open-minded, etc.

Amen. I love you Ryan, I wanna have your babies. :silly:

RMadd 06-02-2005 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp
By the way, Brian's reference was to Eddie Vedder.

thanks, i couldn't remember which.... i knew Stapp & Durst had gotten in it for a short period of time a few years back (i think that even made vh1's list of top 100 fueds of rock or something like that lol), but i couldn't remember if Brian came to Stapp's defense then, or did so on all the "just like Vedder" comparisons aimed at Stapp

RMadd 06-02-2005 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriB19
Wow, I'd LOVE to not hear you play!!! ;)

turn off any music you've got going, and that's me! all filler, no killer lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriB19
Amen. I love you Ryan, I wanna have your babies. :silly:

ummm...... yeah..... i think i'm going to go now lol

TeriB19 06-02-2005 07:54 AM

Breakin' my heart, man. :(

Anyway, back on topic, only bands with staying power, IMO, belong in the Hall of Fame. Obviously, they didn't have what it took to go the distance for whatever reason(s).

titan9 06-02-2005 12:46 PM

Yeah, but I'm willing to bet that if they would have stayed together, they'd still be racking up hit after hit, whether on pop or rock radio. It appears that personal differences were the main reason(but perhaps not the only reason) why they couldn't stay together for the length of time that most of the HoF groups have. Obviously, if Creed would have stayed together, I think they would have sold a bunch more records and had a bunch more hits. I think they definitely would have had the staying power on the charts to continue to be successful.

Dogstar 06-02-2005 02:42 PM

Hmm, I don't know if they would have had the requisite staying power or influence to reach the HoF, not with the direction they were going in, pop-wise and all. Weathered hasn't had the staying power of MOP and HC for me.

titan9 06-02-2005 05:12 PM

Oh, I agree. I definitely like HC and MOP more than Weathered, but Weathered had its good parts. Creed was going in the pop radio direction, and I think they could have continued to be successful with that. Look at the other Rock bands that have gone pop radio: 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Staind etc. 3 Doors Down has continued to have hits on pop radio as has Nickelback. Creed was, in my opinion, a bunch better than those bands, so surely they could have had equal(if not more) success on pop radio. I know, that doesn't necessarily transfer to HoF contender, but really, what does qualify a band for the HoF? Is it records sold? Is it success on radio? Is it creativity? Is it the length of time that they are together as a band? Is it number of albums sold? Is it a combination of all these? I'm kinda curious. I don't pay much attention to the HoF, so I wouldn't know what their criteria is for who gets in and who doesn't get in. Have any of the ultra successful 90s Rock bands(Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, just to name 3) got into the HoF?

uncertaindrumer 06-02-2005 08:55 PM

Creed would have continued to sell records and get hit singles, but two problems appear:

THEY DIDN'T, and no matter what the reasons were, you can't say that just because they "could have" that they should get credit for it. Second, even if they shelled out pop hit after pop hit, a bunch of un-creative lame radio hits do not get you into the HoF. You compared them to 3DD... You think 3DD has a chance of a snowball in Hell of getting into the HoF? No. What does get one into the Hall of Fame? It is rather ambiguous, but you at least have to be somewhat original--Creed was not.

And the ultra sucessful rock bands from the 90's can't get into the HoF yet because it has to be 25 years after your first major release before you get into the HoF.

Dogstar 06-02-2005 09:16 PM

I thought there was that 25-year waiting period. That's why U2 recently got in...it's been just 25 years, I think. Anyway, I agree with you, uncertain. As much as I love Creed, I don't think they blazed any new musical trails, though they did a good job with a tried-and-true format. Tremo's playing is what hooked me initially.

titan9 06-02-2005 09:21 PM

You're right, Uncertain. They didn't stick together and they didn't sell more records. I never said that they should get in based on the COULD HAVES. I simply stated that I thought that if they would have stayed together, they could have sold a bunch of records. My point in bringing up 3DD was that, if they can continue to be successful in terms of selling records and scoring hits, then why can't a band that I believe is better(Creed) be just as, if not more, successful than 3DD? I never implied that Creed should get in just based on success. I also never implied that I thought 3DD deserves the HoF. I just wanted to use an example in pointing out that Creed could have stayed successful if they would have stuck together. I guess I could have been more clear in the way that I wrote everything.

I forgot about the 25 year rule. I did know about that, but obviously when I typed that, I just plain forgot about it. I guess we'll have to see in 10-15 years if any of the ultra successful 90s bands get in. Should be interesting.

joy division 06-05-2005 12:19 AM

they have no chance of getting into the Hall of Fame. i honestly cannot even say if they'll still be known in 17 years. i can name 10 bands from the 90s-2000s that have a way better chance of getting in, and even some of those bands might not get in.

uncertaindrumer 06-05-2005 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan9
You're right, Uncertain. They didn't stick together and they didn't sell more records. I never said that they should get in based on the COULD HAVES. I simply stated that I thought that if they would have stayed together, they could have sold a bunch of records. My point in bringing up 3DD was that, if they can continue to be successful in terms of selling records and scoring hits, then why can't a band that I believe is better(Creed) be just as, if not more, successful than 3DD? I never implied that Creed should get in just based on success. I also never implied that I thought 3DD deserves the HoF. I just wanted to use an example in pointing out that Creed could have stayed successful if they would have stuck together. I guess I could have been more clear in the way that I wrote everything.

I forgot about the 25 year rule. I did know about that, but obviously when I typed that, I just plain forgot about it. I guess we'll have to see in 10-15 years if any of the ultra successful 90s bands get in. Should be interesting.

I wasn't trying to say you thought 3DD was getting into the HoF (okay, maybe I was ;) ) but yeah, don't take offense, lol

And yes, it WILL be interesting when the time rolls around for Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam... I actually think Nirvana and Soundgarden are shoo-ins, and I think pearl jam is a pretty good shot as well.

Agent D 06-06-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer
And yes, it WILL be interesting when the time rolls around for Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam... I actually think Nirvana and Soundgarden are shoo-ins, and I think pearl jam is a pretty good shot as well.

Wait, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam aren't in the Hall of Fame yet? Jeez, they are way overdue. Not so much Nirvana though, imo.

titan9 06-06-2005 08:23 PM

Well, it's really only because of the 25 year rule, I'd assume. I mean, if PJ and SG aren't in the HoF when it's been 25 years since their first CD, I'd say that those HoF people are crazy. Just like they would be crazy, imo, if they put Nirvana and SG in there but not PJ. SD and PJ oughta be shoe-ins for the HoF; not so sure about Nirvana.

uncertaindrumer 06-07-2005 11:50 AM

Nirvana is a shoe-in, like it or not. I hate Nirvana, but even I can admit that bands such as Creed would never have happened without them.

And the 'Garden and PJ had better be in, as well.