CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Warning about new Windows Update (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6333)

Higher_Desire 04-16-2004 01:01 PM

Warning about new Windows Update

Just a warning to you all who have the Automatic Windows Update program activated on your computers. I found out today that the newest one is making many computers run slowly and may not want to start up. I know someone in the Tech department here at school and she has about 12 computers stacked up already that she needs to work on today. My computer gave me one a few days ago, and is running fine, but be cautious.

H-D :hammer:

Mulletman 04-16-2004 01:58 PM

never leave windows update on auto. Microsoft only releases updates on a monthly basis so its alot easier to just click windows update once a month.

Dogstar 04-16-2004 02:38 PM

Yeah, I just got a new update notification, too, but I haven't installed them because I heard that it wipes out P2P software like Kazaa...hey, Mulletman, how do turn off the automatic windows update thingy? Thanks for the info, H-D.

Mulletman 04-16-2004 04:05 PM

Setting --> System --> Automatic Updates Tab

In that Tab the very first thing you will see if a white box that says: "Keep my computer up todate. etc..."

Make sure that that tab is UNCHECKED. This is who you do it in Windows XP Home/Professional. Should be the same thing in the older versions.

- enjoy

Shadow 04-16-2004 04:34 PM

I downloaded the latest Update last night, and so far I haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the info! :D

Bridge of Clay 04-16-2004 06:12 PM

Go LINUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Dogstar 04-16-2004 06:43 PM

LOL, Marcos....thanks, Mulletman...I'll do that when I get home.

Higher_Desire 04-16-2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yeah, I just got a new update notification, too, but I haven't installed them because I heard that it wipes out P2P software like Kazaa...hey, Mulletman, how do turn off the automatic windows update thingy? Thanks for the info, H-D.

With the download I did a few days ago, my computer is actually running a bit better. It was constantly freezing before for some reason. But ever since I downloaded it, my Kazaa has been running fine without any problems.

H-D :hammer:

Dogstar 04-16-2004 07:03 PM

Thanks for the info, H-D!

Mulletman 04-16-2004 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
Go LINUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You wanna join X on the ban list?

RMadd 04-16-2004 10:32 PM

hmmm.... I wonder if that's the reason my computer has been lagging a bit this week. My P2P (Ares) seems to have been working fine. The the same download help you Colin, or was it something to remedy the problem?

RMadd 04-19-2004 12:45 AM

is there any way to remove the most recent update? i'm hoping that's the reason it's going slow, b/c it's been acting sorta fucked up and slow for the past week

Mulletman 04-19-2004 12:51 AM

yes there is, but its tricky. if you go to Add/Remove programs you will see at the very bottom you will see
Quote:

"Windows Hot Fix #-------"
Windows Hot Fix[See #--------- for more information]"
well the tricky part is that you need to find out which one does what. You can figure it out by checking out Microsoft's Knowledge Base, but it will be time consuming.

Steve 04-19-2004 01:00 AM

I've installed the updates and my computer runs fine.

Mulletman 04-19-2004 01:01 AM

i havent, microsoft blocked my serial number. oh well