CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Faith / Religion (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   This is an honest question. Really. (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=11359)

uncertaindrumer 10-10-2006 12:03 PM

This is an honest question. Really.

Wasn't really sure where to put this so I decided this forum seems suitable, at least.

I assume, though I am not positive, that the resident atheists here believe evolution occured and does occur. I don't disagree. I think it is certain that some type of evolution occurs, I think it is questionable exactly how widespread it is and how much it has influenced different species, etc. but overall I think it is at least a viable working theory.

It is also apparent that a lot of people on here believe homosexuality is genetic. There is certainly no proof of this, and while there is some evidence both ways, it is clearly still up for debate, though I am not prejudiced either way.

But, there does seem to be a contradiction between "survival of the fittest" and this idea that homosexuality is genetic, so I am asking the question (with no answer of my own in mind): is this possible? If so, how?

metalchris25 10-10-2006 05:17 PM

Re: This is an honest question. Really.

I don't think so. It certainly is possible, but I highly doubt it. And the Titans do indeed suck.

uncertaindrumer 10-10-2006 06:58 PM

^Indeed. Although, they played the Colts far closer than they should have, heh

metalchris25 10-10-2006 07:48 PM

I know. That was scary. I love the colts, and I couldn't believe the game.

HeavenBesideYou 10-10-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer
^Indeed. Although, they played the Colts far closer than they should have, heh

But in the end the "V" went to the better team...

:banana:

Heaven

:pimp:

HeavenBesideYou 10-10-2006 08:25 PM

Oh... You asked a question didn't you???

Survival of the fittest and AIDS (if that's where you're leading) cannot reflect that of one group due to the fact that it touches all groups.

Heaven

uncertaindrumer 10-10-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavenBesideYou
Oh... You asked a question didn't you???

Survival of the fittest and AIDS (if that's where you're leading) cannot reflect that of one group due to the fact that it touches all groups.

Heaven

No I am not talking about AIDS at all. I am talking about the idea propounded by many that homosexuality is inborn. I am not even arguing it can't be, but it seems extremely hard to posit that AND survival of the fittest. By definition, homosexuals don't survive.

Lunar Shadow 10-11-2006 12:18 AM

A fair question UD a very very good one that deserve a hard look and discussion GOOD JOB!

I myself am not certain if it is or isn't genetic but I would say that it is very possible. but coming down to the idea of survival the fittest the ultimate viability of homosexuality is ZERO so is it an evolution??? or could it just be a random mutation or anomaly? you know like some human and animals are born with extra limbs or born albino or anything like that.... this is a very tough subject. It is one that is rather intruiging though.

metalchris25 10-11-2006 12:45 AM

It is, and unfortunately, it's one none of us can answer completely.

Lunar Shadow 10-11-2006 01:01 AM

^^ Yes this is true but it is somthing that could really turn in to an interesting discussion ya know?

PJAmerica 10-11-2006 04:22 AM

Without actual scientific evidence I will never buy that as anything more than a loose theory. Sexual behavior is very much a emotional and physiological boundary that is proven and explained.

RalphyS 10-11-2006 05:06 AM

Evolution is a very tricky subject and it is not a straight line, there are many examples of side-steps of nature, that weren't to be.

That being said, you cannot consider homosexuals a different species, we know that as homosexuality maybe genetic, it is not necessarily heriditairy (sp?). I do not think that homosexuality is a choice, just because I myself never choose to be heterosexual, it it just something that I am. I have no reason to believe it would be otherwise for homosexuals.

Also I do not think that homosexuality is a threat to extinction as they are perfectly capable of getting offspring, may it be with help of homosexuals of the other gender or heterosexuals and as we all know it is not contagious and homosexuals parents do not breed homosexual children.

uncertaindrumer 10-11-2006 08:55 AM

I am only wondering how it could still be around. If they never--or rarely--reproduce, there should not BE any homosexuals anymore if it is a genetic thing.

This makes me inclined to believe it has nothing to do with genetics. I mean, I do not know *everything* about evolution. Maybe there is some way in which to reconcile the two. It just seems... dubious at best.

RalphyS 10-11-2006 10:57 AM

I am no expert on evolution or genetics either, but there are genetic diseases that skip generations or even more generations, still the genes are in the persons as I've understood. Perhaps the same is the case with homosexuality, maybe we all have that particular gene that might cause it, but is it less developped in most of us.

I'm just guessing here, as I don't have a definite answer.

Perhaps homosexuality is evolution's way to save us from overpopulation :D

uncertaindrumer 10-11-2006 07:57 PM

I suppose, but it seems that over the millions of years we have supposedly evolved, we would have lost a completely self-destructive gene. Oh well. Nice hearing opinions.