CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What will WU do? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6600)

Echelon122 05-14-2004 04:50 AM

What will WU do?

I think the one thing that still has me "ancy" and such about AB and Stapp's solo efforts is the record lable.

I mean, yeah Wind-Up gave Creed a chance when other lables wouldn't...but WU's now faced with a scenario they haven't had before. More than one successful band going at a time.

Yeah, they had Creed hit it big...but none of their other bands were really hitting till Evanescence hit it. Now, Creed's "done" and they've really only had Eva.

Now, they've got...new 12Stones, Submersed, AND Alter Bridge scheduled to hit in late summer/early fall. What will WU do if those bands happen to hit? Finger 11 has started to finally catch on, but no where to the degree EVa has. Right now, aside from Creed, Evanescence is WU's $$ maker.

What if one of those 3 bands hits and hits BIG? If they out-do Eva?
I think it'll be a real test to WU to see if they can handle more than one mega-successful band at a time....and I think THAT has me bitting my nails for 12Stones (they deserve some success!!), Submersed (release the album already!), and Alter Bridge.

(ok I kinda rambled...but did I make any sense? LOL)

aussiecreeder 05-14-2004 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echelon122
I think the one thing that still has me "ancy" and such about AB and Stapp's solo efforts is the record lable.

I mean, yeah Wind-Up gave Creed a chance when other lables wouldn't...but WU's now faced with a scenario they haven't had before. More than one successful band going at a time.

Yeah, they had Creed hit it big...but none of their other bands were really hitting till Evanescence hit it. Now, Creed's "done" and they've really only had Eva.

Now, they've got...new 12Stones, Submersed, AND Alter Bridge scheduled to hit in late summer/early fall. What will WU do if those bands happen to hit? Finger 11 has started to finally catch on, but no where to the degree EVa has. Right now, aside from Creed, Evanescence is WU's $$ maker.

What if one of those 3 bands hits and hits BIG? If they out-do Eva?
I think it'll be a real test to WU to see if they can handle more than one mega-successful band at a time....and I think THAT has me bitting my nails for 12Stones (they deserve some success!!), Submersed (release the album already!), and Alter Bridge.

(ok I kinda rambled...but did I make any sense? LOL)

*english translation*

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

LOL

you have a point but Wind-Up has been out for a while now and has grown organically not through takeovers and mergers. a few points;

-will Evanesence be successful without Ben Moody's songwriting?
-will Amy Lee go solo in the medium future?
-how much success will Alter Bridge and to a lesser extent Submersed have?

the situation was much better for Wind-Up less then 12 months ago IMO, with Creed and Evanesence in strong positons, now we have Creed at least in hiatus and Evanesence losing their main riff writer.

aussiecreeder 05-14-2004 05:00 AM

its hard to judge on the success or otherwise of Stapp's solo work as we haven't heard a thing and don't know much via word of mouth. How commercial will it sound and how agressively will it be promoted?

Dogstar 05-14-2004 01:19 PM

I'm really not sold on Wind Up just yet. They lucked out with Creed, but I think the schedule they put them on tour wise did not help Creed. It seems their big bands can't stay together. Three albums does not a career make. And what, Evanescence has one record and they're done already? They also effed up big-time with Dust For Life, another really good band that was on their way, and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the Submursed album. 12 Stones should be bigger than they are. They are really good, too. They seem to not do much promotion-wise with their other bands.
Now I'm rambling, LOL. :D

Echelon122 05-14-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I'm really not sold on Wind Up just yet. They lucked out with Creed, but I think the schedule they put them on tour wise did not help Creed. It seems their big bands can't stay together. Three albums does not a career make. And what, Evanescence has one record and they're done already? They also effed up big-time with Dust For Life, another really good band that was on their way, and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see the Submursed album. 12 Stones should be bigger than they are. They are really good, too. They seem to not do much promotion-wise with their other bands.
Now I'm rambling, LOL. :D

I don't think Evanescence is necessicarily "done"...but I wonder how different the next album will sound...since I"m sure Ben Moody is really eager to having to write and be a part of it. Putting band members who don't get along together and saying "you have to write the next cd"...not gonna go over well and probably not sound all that great.

12Stones...I really hope they hit. I felt bad last year...I'd seen them 2 times in 2002 with Creed and loved them, and then I saw them in 2003 doing a bar show in a piss-hole venue in Chicago. Granted they still rocked...but I really feel THEY should have gotten the recognition that Evanescence got. I mean, 12Stones' biggest hit is Paul's vocals on Eva's "Bring me to life". I really hope they can make this cross-over it seems they're doing....cause I think Christian music needs a band with lyrics like 12Stones..

But I really want to see WU prove they can handle more than one successful band at a time. With 3 really good bands and efforts coming up this summer, I really hope they can handle it, and I guess I've got that fear that they can't.

Mr.Anderson 05-14-2004 02:50 PM

Hey in my opinion Wind up has some of the best rock bands on there label. I mean pretty much all my favorite CD's are windups.

I mean they got

Edgewater
Big Dismal
12 Stones
American Pearl
Drowning Pool
Evanescence
Stereo Fuse
Boy Sets Fire
SevenWiser
Strata
Seether
12 Stones

and boat load of others

and you know the good thing. I don't think they have one rap artist on there label :)

Trees of Wisdom 05-14-2004 06:06 PM

You guys forgot to mention Wind-Up will make some money from the Creed compilation. That will sell a lot.

Evanescence is much stronger because they've matured, lost their generic guitarist Ben Moody. Evanescence sells soley on the fact that Amy Lee kicks ass at singing.

Submersed looks like they can do well. Their leadsinger has an original voice. They have some Creed influence, but they're not ripping them off.

Alter Bridge will definately do well.

12 Stones I am not sure. They could get the fame they've deserved, but let's see how Wind-Up does in regards to promotion.

Drowning Pool sucks. Their new album hasn't sold worth a damn.

Seether pretty much should stop making music. They're lazy jackasses. They're releasing Disclaimer 2 which I think is bullshit. They are taking too long to release a sophmore album and people will get tired of them. Bad move on Wind-Up's part.

Seven Wiser could make some money. Not really sure about them.

I am really surprised that Edgewater hasn't gotten famous yet. They have great potential.

I don't like Finger 11 that much, but they're getting some fame now. Their previous single got mad radio airplay.

Woah, that's kind of a long post.

Bridge of Clay 05-14-2004 06:36 PM

I don't like Edgwater but I must say Wind-Up knows how to pick their bands.

We have Atomship that, in a smaller scale, is like APC: it takes you several listenings until they grow in you... (Which they haven't in me)

WU can explore Creed compilation and a future DVD (after the sue it must be launched)

AB: Huge

Submersed: gonna be Huge

Wind-Up has a nice pipeline and their forecast is pretty damn good.

Trees of Wisdom 05-14-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
I don't like Edgwater but I must say Wind-Up knows how to pick their bands.

We have Atomship that, in a smaller scale, is like APC: it takes you several listenings until they grow in you... (Which they haven't in me)

WU can explore Creed compilation and a future DVD (after the sue it must be launched)

AB: Huge

Submersed: gonna be Huge

Wind-Up has a nice pipeline and their forecast is pretty damn good.

I really hate Atomship.

ibleedpurple 05-14-2004 07:12 PM

Wind-Up... yeah. I really can't say that I have alot of nice things to say about them. They have some INCREDIBLE talent on their roster, and as Erin said, many times they wind up playing in piss-hole bars because the label won't dish out some money to promote them. Granted, some of these bands are basically second-tier or third-tier talent, and some of them I wouldn't expect to be headlining their own tours right out of the gate, but... they could be doing better than they are. 12 Stones, Big Dismal, Stereo Fuse, Finger 11... all could be so much bigger with a little bit of promotion. The old adage "you have to spend money to make money" has never been more true. WU would be doing themselves a HUGE favor by putting some more money behind these bands, getting their music out on the radio and MTV, and making them famous like they did with Evanescence.

Echelon122 05-14-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking, if they actually will say "Creed is over" that compilation would sell through the ROOF. Continuing to play it the other way, I think would hurt rather than help keep bringing in the Creed revenue.

DVD....**colapses in laughter**

Shadow 05-14-2004 11:28 PM

I don't think WU is the problem (Scott still speaks highly of them.) The one thing they have not done is keep the public up-to-date with their bands.

I think the real problem is JHMP.

Echelon122 05-14-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow
I don't think WU is the problem (Scott still speaks highly of them.) The one thing they have not done is keep the public up-to-date with their bands.

I think the real problem is JHMP.

I doubt they'd speak badly of their lable unless they weren't being fairly treated, or had a reason too. I have heard other WU bands speek poorly about their lable though.

Now that last line...I am intrigued.

Shadow 05-15-2004 12:17 AM

Quote:

I have heard other WU bands speek poorly about their lable though.

Now that last line...I am intrigued.

I'm really not big into any other WU bands - not enough to know how they feel about their label.

It's just my opinion, but I think Jeff Hanson was part of the problem toward the end of the last Creed tour. I don't think he was ever really concerned about Scott's health. Jeff should have pulled them off the road until Scott was 100% healthy, even if it would have been a few months. Things might have turned out so differently.

Do we know if Alter Bridge is being managed by Jeff? Because I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff wasn't managing Scott's solo career.

Echelon122 05-15-2004 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow

It's just my opinion, but I think Jeff Hanson was part of the problem toward the end of the last Creed tour. I don't think he was ever really concerned about Scott's health. Jeff should have pulled them off the road until Scott was 100% healthy, even if it would have been a few months. Things might have turned out so differently.

Do we know if Alter Bridge is being managed by Jeff? Because I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff wasn't managing Scott's solo career.

See now, I place more of the blame for the 2002 tour on Ken Fermaglich(sp?) their booker. I tend to think of JHMP as just their representation as far as the Creed Companies go...managing their business interests.

In my opinion, I think Stapp pushed himself, probably more so than anyone else might have been pushing. I think he hated having to cancel shows that spring so much and here they were supposed to be making most of those up..and here he gets sick when they hit Nevada and California to make them up.
I think they should have canceled October AND November at that time..let him heal and go from there. I wish they would have. It'd have cancelled 4 shows for me...but I know I'd have been at the re-schedules.

Creed was big enough to call their own shots. I think a combo of pride and a growing warped view of things going on didn't help things.

As far as I know, AB is being managed by Jeff. And I think Stapp might be *shrug* But I wouldn't be totally shocked if here weren't.

They're still tied together through the "Creed companies" anyways and I think it was said a year or so ago they extended Jeff's contract as their manager. *shrug*

aussiecreeder 05-15-2004 05:28 AM

i am fairly sure Alter Bridge is being managed by JHMP because it was JHMP that was putting out the info regarding a search for a singer a few months back.

Shadow 05-15-2004 07:56 AM

Quote:

See now, I place more of the blame for the 2002 tour on Ken Fermaglich(sp?) their booker. I tend to think of JHMP as just their representation as far as the Creed Companies go...managing their business interests.

But everything is overseen by JHMP. I don't trust Jeff. He takes too much credit for making Creed who they are.

Quote:

In my opinion, I think Stapp pushed himself, probably more so than anyone else might have been pushing. I think he hated having to cancel shows that spring so much and here they were supposed to be making most of those up..and here he gets sick when they hit Nevada and California to make them up.

I agree with you here Erin. Scott didn't want to disappoint the fans. That's just his nature. But I don't think he healed properly after his accident in April of 2002. I don't think he took the appropriate amount of time off. Right after the accident, things seem to change for them.

Quote:

I think they should have canceled October AND November at that time..let him heal and go from there. I wish they would have. It'd have cancelled 4 shows for me...but I know I'd have been at the re-schedules.

They should have. How do you think Scott felt having to perform when he wasn't 100%? How do you think he felt with the doctors putting all the meds in him so he could perform? They should have taken a break. The fans would have understood. I'll say it again - things could have turned out so differently and they might still be together.

Quote:

Creed was big enough to call their own shots. I think a combo of pride and a growing warped view of things going on didn't help things.

They are big enough to call their own shots. But when management is behind you pushing you to do this and do that and telling you that "x" amount of people depend on you for their salaries - how would you handle it. I'm sure you remember Scott's comments about people only caring about how much money he can make them.

Excerpt from interview on 9/15/2003

Most Painful Moment: "There's been a few, man. Realizing that all everybody gave a damn about was how much money I could make. And didn't give a damn about my health or me as a person. Put my life in jeopardy because of money. Basically when I realized (that) everything around was fake. The only thing that anyone cared about was me being able to make money at all costs. Even at the expense of me as a human being and my health."

Quote:

As far as I know, AB is being managed by Jeff. And I think Stapp might be *shrug* But I wouldn't be totally shocked if here weren't.

Well, don't be shocked if Scott isn't managed by Jeff anymore. I'm sure when their albums come out, so many of our questions will be answered. And let's not forget that Scott now has a new PR person too.

Quote:

They're still tied together through the "Creed companies" anyways and I think it was said a year or so ago they extended Jeff's contract as their manager. *shrug*

Scott and Mark will always be tied together because of the "Creed companies".

aussiecreeder 05-15-2004 08:08 AM

Excerpt from interview on 9/15/2003

Most Painful Moment: "There's been a few, man. Realizing that all everybody gave a damn about was how much money I could make. And didn't give a damn about my health or me as a person. Put my life in jeopardy because of money. Basically when I realized (that) everything around was fake. The only thing that anyone cared about was me being able to make money at all costs. Even at the expense of me as a human being and my health."

it pains me to read that, sure scott has done some things people haven't liked but to have your health put in jeopardy to make a quid? :mad1:

Dogstar 05-15-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Evanescence is much stronger because they've matured, lost their generic guitarist Ben Moody. Evanescence sells soley on the fact that Amy Lee kicks ass at singing.

I think her singing sucks, but that's just my opinion. Her voice grates on me. She's the reason I can't stand Evanescence.

Tamawig 05-15-2004 04:05 PM

amy lee

I'd call her singing "over the top"
I loved the original version of seethers "broken" but the version with her for the pubisher soundtrack is a disgrace.

whats up dogstar?

Dogstar 05-15-2004 04:14 PM

Hey, Tamawig, nice to see ya 'round!!!!!! Not much up today. Been going to a lot of concerts, though...Lots of A Perfect Circle, saw Dylan, Neil Young...wishing Jerry C would come EAST already...How 'bout you?

And I totally agree about Amy Lee. Over the top is a good description. And I skip that Seether/Amy mess on the Punisher soundtrack every time. I really can't stand her voice. :D

Shadow 05-15-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I think her singing sucks, but that's just my opinion. Her voice grates on me. She's the reason I can't stand Evanescence.

Their CD is all over the place. I don't think she knows what type of sound she's going for. I really don't mind the singles they put out. Both okay songs (Their titles escape me at this moment and I'm too lazy to look for the CD)

Dogstar 05-15-2004 07:05 PM

LOL, Shadow, I think they were called "Bring Me to Life" and "My Immortal"...Bring Me to Life hurt my ears :D.

Agent D 05-15-2004 07:20 PM

Amy Lee's voice is as awesome as they come. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Dogstar 05-15-2004 08:06 PM

It's all good. We can't all like the same things :D.

Steve 05-15-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamawig
I'd call her singing "over the top"
I loved the original version of seethers "broken" but the version with her for the pubisher soundtrack is a disgrace.

whats up dogstar?

I feel the same way. I love the Seether version of "Broken" but don't like the version with Amy Lee.

Bridge of Clay 05-16-2004 01:46 PM

Amy Lee has a great voice imho. But I don't like Evanescence's sounds. I bought their cd, but I don't listen to it anymore... I mean... My Immortal is a great song, but I don't think her voice matches to Ben Moody's tone.

Anyway, she said their next album is gonna be completely different. I'll make sure to check it out.

Trees of Wisdom 05-16-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Amy Lee has a great voice imho. But I don't like Evanescence's sounds. I bought their cd, but I don't listen to it anymore... I mean... My Immortal is a great song, but I don't think her voice matches to Ben Moody's tone.

Anyway, she said their next album is gonna be completely different. I'll make sure to check it out.

And by different, it better mean no synthesizer.

Bridge of Clay 05-16-2004 02:20 PM

LOL! She hates WU. She said WU made them add stuff to the album that they (the band) didn't want to.

Trees of Wisdom 05-16-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

LOL! She hates WU. She said WU made them add stuff to the album that they (the band) didn't want to.

If you ask me, Wind-Up is starting to act like other labels now. :rolleyes:

altered 05-16-2004 03:41 PM

$$$$

Alter Bridge will be Wind ups main priority.

Shadow 05-16-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Didn't they (Evanescence) also have an album out before WU and WU will not let them even mention it? I don't know too much about Evanescence, but I remember reading that somewhere.

ibleedpurple 05-16-2004 08:35 PM

They do have some indy stuff... I can't see WU putting a moratorium on them like that though. But there is one song that they did and recorded that was supposed to be private between Amy and Ben, and it somehow got out and they've requested that people not share it with anyone. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Shadow 05-16-2004 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibleedpurple
They do have some indy stuff... I can't see WU putting a moratorium on them like that though. But there is one song that they did and recorded that was supposed to be private between Amy and Ben, and it somehow got out and they've requested that people not share it with anyone. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I think I read about it on one of the Mark Tremonti BB's, around Grammy time. I thought it was an album they had out, prior to WU signing them.

But, like I said I really don't know anything about them, I have the CD, but that's it. So, you know more than I do, you're probably right. :)

ibleedpurple 05-16-2004 10:37 PM

Well it's definitely possible, it just seems unlikely to me. I don't really know either :)

Bridge of Clay 05-16-2004 11:02 PM

They do have an album released before Wind-Up's deal, which contains very personal songs written from Amy when she was 16, 17 years-old. She asked for people to don't share it, but it's all over Kazaa.

Trees of Wisdom 05-16-2004 11:12 PM

Quote:

They do have an album released before Wind-Up's deal, which contains very personal songs written from Amy when she was 16, 17 years-old. She asked for people to don't share it, but it's all over Kazaa.

What was the name of the album again?

hayley 05-17-2004 05:16 AM

Quote:

Thats a shame, but I guess thats what happens as soon as you hit the media and get out into the industry. Tell someone not to do something, they do it anyway. :wtf:

aussiecreeder 05-17-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altered

sweet....along with Evanesence and Scott Stapp probably.

creedsister 05-17-2004 01:11 PM

:roll: :roll:
Quote:

Originally Posted by altered

Hahaha, how true it is