CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   All Star Game 2005 (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9438)

Tremontixriffs 07-21-2005 03:39 PM

All Star Game 2005

I don't know if anyone caught alter Bridge on Espn for the homerun derby, but as usual Tremonti Kicked ass... I do have one complaint, I like myles, he has a great personality, but man he cannot sing for s#$%. If that were Scott Stapp singing higher that stadium wouldve rocked, the fans didn't seem to take to Myles at all. Personally I think he's alright but can't tremonti find a guy who has some vocal talent. Everytime he would sing he sounded raspy and hoarse. Stapp is still the man even though his attitude sucks noone can top his writng and singing... :cool:

titan9 07-21-2005 04:14 PM

While I agree, Myles was not at his best for that performance, if you've heard One Day Remains, the album, I'm sure you wouldn't think that Myles can't sing for #%##. His vocal style is kinda completely opposite of Scott's(and I am a huge fan of Scott's ability as a singer and lyricist) and it is hard to get used to for those who were Creed fans and fans of Scott's vocal style. I even admit that when ODR first came out, I really disliked Myles. But as I got used to his singing, I became a big fan of his. Now I'd rank him as one of my favorite vocalists.

If Creed were still together, and if they performed at the Derby and played Higher, I'm sure Scott would have done a good job. But because of the sound in the stadium, I'm not sure his vocals would have sounded much better than Myles' vocals. I don't really blame Myles singing coming off bad on him, but rather on the fact that it was in a big stadium. I've heard Myles live before and trust me, he typically sounds a lot better than that.

Tremontixriffs 07-21-2005 04:30 PM

True, I think the album sounded great, he has agreat classic rock sound, I saw four creed concerts in outdoor staiums and I just believe when they played live noone could top them. He is just one of the singers that is on and off when it comes to his voice..Plus I heard he has a hearing problem which hurts his ability to hit high pitches sometimes...I just miss the old band

titan9 07-21-2005 06:18 PM

Yeah, I never saw a Creed concert in person. But I've heard from many that the concerts were awesome and that they put on a great show. I recently DLed some live songs from the Human Clay '99 tour(the San Antonio show) and Stapp sounded superb, as did the rest of the band. I've never heard that Myles has a hearing problem and you're right, that could hurt his ability to hit high pitches. But for the most part, in any live stuff I have listened to, he has hit the notes perfectly.

titan9 07-21-2005 06:22 PM

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forums! I can't believe I didn't notice that you were a new member until now.:D

uncertaindrumer 07-23-2005 12:31 PM

Yeah, Stapp sounded so great at those concerts where he was rolling on the ground intoxicated ;)

Seriously, though, this is exactly why I think that all star show did nothing but hurt AB. Myles, the greatest rock singer alive, sings like crap, Tremonti, the best mainstream rock gutiarist alive, plays like crap during his solo, and Johhny Damon and Mike Piazza go up there looking like complete fools, making a mockery out of the whole performance.

Ridiculous.

titan9 07-23-2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer
Yeah, Stapp sounded so great at those concerts where he was rolling on the ground intoxicated ;)

Lol, I KNEW someone would say that.:D Anyway, I've never heard any live bootlegs from the Weathered tour, so I can't comment on how he sounded during that period of time. But I will say that he sounded amazing during the HC '99 tour, or at least based on the bootlegs I've heard from that time. Hopefully he still has that same vocal ability for his solo tour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrummer
Seriously, though, this is exactly why I think that all star show did nothing but hurt AB. Myles, the greatest rock singer alive, sings like crap, Tremonti, the best mainstream rock gutiarist alive, plays like crap during his solo, and Johhny Damon and Mike Piazza go up there looking like complete fools, making a mockery out of the whole performance.

Ridiculous.

I still don't think Myles sounded that bad or that off. Like I've already said, I have heard much, much worse live performances. You know at Live 8? Audioslave performed there and I caught their performance of "Like a Stone". Cornell sounded pretty bad(he just didn't hit his notes well), far worse than Myles sounded at the derby. AND Cornell is regarded as the best vocalist in Rock today. I think that says something. Even on one of Myles' off performances, he still can sound better than a guy who is regarded as the best vocalist in Rock does on his worst performance.

As for Mark, I'll agree, that solo sounded a bit, for lack of a better word, funky. It just sounded different compared to the album version. I don't know why, though. But I still think Mark did a good job during the performance.

I don't think Alter Bridge was at all hurt by doing this performance. It gave them a good amount of exposure and I think that really helps them.

As for Myles being the greatest rock singer alive.......I'm not quite ready to say that, lol. He needs to make a few more albums, first. I will say that I would rank him among the best, right alongside Cornell and some others. :D

Anna1011 07-23-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan9
As for Myles being the greatest rock singer alive.......I'm not quite ready to say that, lol. He needs to make a few more albums, first. I will say that I would rank him among the best, right alongside Cornell and some others.

have you heard any of the stuff he did with mayfield four??

Ana4Stapp 07-23-2005 05:38 PM

Well, actually I love Myles voice--and I agree he's the best rock singer (even though I love Cornell's voice too) but AB performance was surprisingly bad. Surreal performance! :(

Anna1011 07-23-2005 05:42 PM

myles has the most amazing voice i dont think hes at his best with AB yet because listening to mayfield four it just blew me away he just has an awsome voice and some of the notes he hits well just sends shivers down my spine we can totally expect more from him

uncertaindrumer 07-23-2005 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna1011

LOL, just what I was gonna ask, although Titan has heard MF4--he sent a lot of theri stuff to me ;)

But yeah, Cornell kicks butt, and in his prime he was probably better than Myles is now. But I think his voice has gotten just slightly worse over the years (*slightly*) and Myles now has the edge.

titan9 07-23-2005 10:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah, like Uncertain said, I have heard the stuff Myles did in MF4, and that made me an even bigger fan of his. He did some phenomenal stuff with the Four and I was impressed by how good of an overall musician he really is. I love the MF4 and both of their albums. Still, though, I want to see a couple more AB albums before I am willing to name Myles as the best rock singer alive. He's up there and he's at the top of my favorites list, but not everyone in my favorites list is worthy of me calling them the best ever.:D

Agreed about Cornell, Uncertain. I just bought Out of Exile this week and I'm loving it. That's actually the first Cornell-related album I've ever bought. I'm gonna have to buy some Soundgarden stuff sooner or later.:laugh:

Anna1011 07-24-2005 02:09 AM

thats cool titan but we are gonna have to wait till november of next year for another album.

uncertaindrumer 07-24-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

thats cool titan but we are gonna have to wait till november of next year for another album.

November?! When did it become November? First it was spring, then late summer, and now November? This reaks of Stappish delays...

P.S. Titan, OOE rocks. Chris does his best work in at least a decade on that album. Also, Soundgarden's A-sides is a good best of album.

Ana4Stapp 07-24-2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

Agreed about Cornell, Uncertain. I just bought Out of Exile this week and I'm loving it. That's actually the first Cornell-related album I've ever bought. I'm gonna have to buy some Soundgarden stuff sooner or later.:laugh:

Oh guy...I bought Out of Exile in June--and since then I cant stop listen to it!!!! All the songs are amazing. Actually I 'm loving Cornell... lol:o

I love Myles...but Cornell... ;) lol

Ana4Stapp 07-24-2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

November?! When did it become November? First it was spring, then late summer, and now November? This reaks of Stappish delays...

Lol! I thought the same! Also, DONT FORGET IT: November IS the MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol:D

geletmote 07-25-2005 07:37 AM

Creed live shows

HI there, im from australia and im a huge creed fan also gettin into alter bridge now, ive been searching the net were on earth can i find footage of live shows ive found a site with live shows but they are on audio cd, wre coul i get live performances with footage, especially the concert were scott was intoxicated?

any ideas

peter g

Tremontixriffs 07-25-2005 02:54 PM

[quote=uncertaindrumer]Yeah, Stapp sounded so great at those concerts where he was rolling on the ground intoxicated ;)

Ridiculous.[/QUOTE

Okay who is this Uncertain drummer and who does think he is?, Myles Kennedy the greatest Lead singer ever. Myles is a very talented vocalist but hey I can think of 30 Good vocalists from the past ten years, until he comes close to having as successful career as Scott Stapp had, rocketing Creed to the top of the charts, come talk to me then. On the other hand Kennedy does have extrodinary range at times, kinda reminds me of a robert plant from zeplin. Getting back to Chris Cornel, he is another talented rock singer, but lets be serious we all know that Cornel with his voice could never even touch Zack Dela roch from rage against the machine. Even Soundgarden was a up and down band, I think they maybe put out one really good album and Audioslave is no Rage against the machine just as Alter bridge is no Creed. Though Uncertain has put AB at the top of the mountain, seeing their performance at the derby shows as a band they have a long way to go, especially having seen creed four times outdoors Stapp would have totally blew the doors off Kennedy in my opinion.

Ana4Stapp 07-25-2005 03:18 PM

Hun...here we go again... :rolleyes:

creedsister 07-26-2005 12:58 PM

[quote=Tremontixriffs]
Quote:

Ridiculous.[/QUOTE

Okay who is this Uncertain drummer and who does think he is?, Myles Kennedy the greatest Lead singer ever. Myles is a very talented vocalist but hey I can think of 30 Good vocalists from the past ten years, until he comes close to having as successful career as Scott Stapp had, rocketing Creed to the top of the charts, come talk to me then. On the other hand Kennedy does have extrodinary range at times, kinda reminds me of a robert plant from zeplin. Getting back to Chris Cornel, he is another talented rock singer, but lets be serious we all know that Cornel with his voice could never even touch Zack Dela roch from rage against the machine. Even Soundgarden was a up and down band, I think they maybe put out one really good album and Audioslave is no Rage against the machine just as Alter bridge is no Creed. Though Uncertain has put AB at the top of the mountain, seeing their performance at the derby shows as a band they have a long way to go, especially having seen creed four times outdoors Stapp would have totally blew the doors off Kennedy in my opinion.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That BOY CAN DOWNNNNNNNNNN ANYBODYS DOORS, COME ON COME ON !!! :jam: :jam: :jam:

Ana4Stapp 07-26-2005 01:09 PM

Oh guy...Creed is over, RATM is in the past! Of course they were great ! But now we have also two great bands: Audioslave and Alter Bridge.They gave us two amazing albums: ODR and OOE. We get Chris Cornell and Myles Kennedy-and both are the best rock singers.They no need to be compared to anyone, they are different, they are unique. ;)

uncertaindrumer 07-26-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Hun...here we go again...

I'll try not to be too nasty :cool:

Quote:

Okay who is this Uncertain drummer and who does think he is?,

I am the most controversial member on the boards and I THINK I have the right to pronounce whatever opinions I may wish. Especially when they are easily supported by facts.

Quote:

Myles Kennedy the greatest Lead singer ever.

What kind of ridiculous straw-man argument is that? I said nothing of the sort. I said he was the greatest rock singer alive. Not EVER, ALIVE. Robert Plant in his heyday would definitely be my pick before Myles, Chris Cornell at his peak I would also take. I could probably think of quite a few others. I also didn't say greatest LEAD singer of all time. That impleis that I think he is the greatest frontman. He is not. Bono is. But Myles has a far better voice than Bono, Stapp, or anyone else you hear in the mainstream today.

Quote:

Myles is a very talented vocalist but hey I can think of 30 Good vocalists from the past ten years,

Good vocalists drop like flies. Great ones don't. Have you ever trained your voice or sung in a professional capacity? Just curious.

Quote:

until he comes close to having as successful career as Scott Stapp had, rocketing Creed to the top of the charts, come talk to me then.

GRRRRR! Can there be a ban on people saying that record sales=talent? It is absurd. Stapp has a mediocre voice with lyrics that are entirely hate-able, and a prima donna atittude. Just because Creed sold a zillion records doesn't make him any better than the guy working 9 to 5 who practices every day and has a five octave range.

Quote:

On the other hand Kennedy does have extrodinary range at times, kinda reminds me of a robert plant from zeplin.

Myles is less tenorish than Plant. Myles can go lower than Plant, but Plant I still think a better singer. If only because he was in Zep, lol. No, really I think Robert can stay higher for longer.

Quote:

Getting back to Chris Cornel, he is another talented rock singer, but lets be serious we all know that Cornel with his voice could never even touch Zack Dela roch from rage against the machine.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you just say Chris Cornell is no Zack de la Roche? WHAT?! Zack de la Roche knows how to scream, Chris Cornell knoss how to SING.

Quote:

Even Soundgarden was a up and down band, I think they maybe put out one really good album and Audioslave is no Rage against the machine just as Alter bridge is no Creed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay. Audioslave is so much better than RATM it is not even funny. RATM was too political, had too much rap, too many effects, not enough focus on musicianship. But I can grudgingly understand that you might like RATM more.

But Creed is SO far out of AB's league it is hilarious. Let's go by the check list:

Drums: The drumming in AB is substantially better than the drumming in Creed, where Philip's basically recycled the same beat in EVERY SONG.

Bass: Well I am no bassist, and I actually think it is the weakest spot of AB. But it was nver anything special in Creed and is probably a lot better in Alter Bridge. Althoguh you can't really hear the bass in either.

Guitars: Tremonti improves so much in the jump between Creed and AB it is insane. Also, free from the constant demand for NOTHING but a ridiculous amount of stupid radio friendly catchy melodic hooks with no substance at all, he writes some nice riffs and some awesome solos.

Vocals: There simply is no question Myles is a more technically proficient singer than Stapp. PERIOD. You can't argue that. He has more range and hits harder notes, as well as with incredible consitancy.

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazingly subjective and to tell the truth, I don't like Creed's or AB's lyrics. But Stapp's lyrics are preachy annoying radio lyrics that do nothing but make my skin crawl. AB's are bad but at least they don't offend you.

Quote:

Though Uncertain has put AB at the top of the mountain, seeing their performance at the derby shows as a band they have a long way to go,

Top of the mountain?! What? I don't think they are anywhere NEAR that. They have an album with four great songs, six below-average songs, and one good song. They have lots of potential, mostly in the hands of their ridiculously talented singer, who by the way can also SHRED. Stapp can't even strum.

Quote:

especially having seen creed four times outdoors Stapp would have totally blew the doors off Kennedy in my opinion.

Sure. The derby sucked. I hated it, it didn't show their good side. So? Who cares. At least they have good songs to play (though granted, they didn't PLAY a good one). Creed had a solid rookie album and then it all went downhill. AB might do the same but at least they haven't yet. They still have potential.

Ana4Stapp 07-26-2005 07:44 PM

[quote=uncertaindrumer]
Quote:

I'll try not to be too nasty :cool:

Lol...Let's see... :rolleyes:

Quote:

I am the most controversial member on the boards ...

:lolsign: ...by the way this is completely unnecessary to say...lol

Quote:

Did you just say Chris Cornell is no Zack de la Roche? WHAT?! Zack de la Roche knows how to scream, Chris Cornell knoss how to SING.

You said it! I love Stapp and Myles voice, but Cornell ... :D lol ;)

titan9 07-27-2005 07:48 PM

I'm a huge fan of Stapp, but I never would rank him, technically speaking, above Myles. There is NO denying that Myles has more range than Stapp and is, overall, the better musician of the two. I say that because not only can Myles sing and hold incredible notes, but he is also a capable lyricist(see his lyrics in Mayfield Four) and a good guitarist who can compose songs. Stapp, in my honest opinion, is a very good lyricist(slightly better than Myles) and a pretty good singer. But he can't, that I know of, play guitar and compose songs like Myles did in MF4. However, Stapp easily ranks in my personal top 10 favorite singers, as does Myles, who actually is my favorite singer at the moment. Stapp doesn't have the kind of range Myles does, but Scott's vocals perfectly fit Creed. Who knows if they would have been a massively popular band if they had another guy as their lead singer.

I'll agree with Uncertain regarding Cornell/de la Roche. Nothing about de la Roche's vocals blew me away. However, having listened to just Audioslave's new CD(and select tracks off their first one), I can easily say that Cornell blows me away with his vocal ability. That dude has range!:laugh:

uncertaindrumer 07-27-2005 11:52 PM

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of Stapp, but I never would rank him, technically speaking, above Myles. There is NO denying that Myles has more range than Stapp and is, overall, the better musician of the two. I say that because not only can Myles sing and hold incredible notes, but he is also a capable lyricist(see his lyrics in Mayfield Four) and a good guitarist who can compose songs. Stapp, in my honest opinion, is a very good lyricist(slightly better than Myles) and a pretty good singer. But he can't, that I know of, play guitar and compose songs like Myles did in MF4. However, Stapp easily ranks in my personal top 10 favorite singers, as does Myles, who actually is my favorite singer at the moment. Stapp doesn't have the kind of range Myles does, but Scott's vocals perfectly fit Creed. Who knows if they would have been a massively popular band if they had another guy as their lead singer.

Exactly.

Quote:

I'll agree with Uncertain regarding Cornell/de la Roche. Nothing about de la Roche's vocals blew me away. However, having listened to just Audioslave's new CD(and select tracks off their first one), I can easily say that Cornell blows me away with his vocal ability. That dude has range!:laugh:

Why anyone would claim Zack de la Roche is a great singer is beyond me...

Tremontixriffs 07-28-2005 08:31 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

Why anyone would claim Zack de la Roche is a great singer is beyond me...

Guys,

I was not saying that Cornell and Kennedy are not really talented rock singers, but collectively as a band rage against the machine while together were unbelieveable, even though a little political. Uncertain is right when he says that there is potential with Alter Bridge, But whether or not collectively they will jell as well as Stapp and Tremonti and Phillips remains to be seen. Creed as a band before the problems were awesome and I understand that they aren't together anymore, but I cannot agree that alter bridge is a better band at this jucture, Tremonti's guitar playing may be at his best with AB , but Collectively Tremonti and Stapp as a duo were unbeatable...They were only one of the best songwriting duos around and I actually like the Mayfield Four..I actually think that band fit myles better than alter bridge, but thats my opinion. Oh yeah and uncertains take on Stapps Lyrics are a little shabby, especially when he claims all there songs were religious hub gub, but to tell ou the truth I never eally noticed. The songs creed wrote were lyrically awesome and held meaning as where with the exception of a few songs One Day remains seems to be a repetitve pot shots at Stapp and the creed days.Sorry but to me Weathered, Six Feet, Bullets, My sacrifice were really good songs and I'm sorry to say can't hold a candle to any song Alter bridge has put out so far, and that really says something because Weathered was considered to be the worst of the three Cd's. I actually hear those songs on the radio now more than I've heard AB on the radio and its been four years since they came out.

titan9 07-28-2005 11:02 AM

Oh, I'll agree, at this point, Alter Bridge doesn't compare with Creed. I just pulled out MOP for the first time in a couple of months and I listened to the whole thing, without skipping a single track. I forgot how amazing that CD was. I mean, no track on that CD, imo, is skippable. You've got solid track after solid track after solid track. Whereas on ODR, I skip a couple(namely 2 out of the last 3 tracks) tracks. Even though there are some great solos and great tracks on ODR, it still isn't as good, imo, as MOP. But it is a excellent debut CD for AB, considering the amount of time they took recording it.

However, AB still COULD become better than Creed, maybe not from a success standpoint, but from a creative standpoint. What I'd like to see for the next CD is Myles writing all the lyrics(Mark's a decent lyricist, but I think Myles would be a better fit), a few more solos and if there are ballads, I'd like to see better ones. If AB can improve upon the first CD on the next album and then carry that momentum over to the third CD, then they could very well end up a creatively better band than Creed.

As far as the lyrics in Creed, there definitely wasn't religious stuff in every single song. Is there anything religious about Bullets? How about What If? Or My Sacrifice? Or One? See what I mean? There were spiritual meanings sprinkled into some songs, but not all. U2 does the same sort of thing. You'll see spiritual stuff in some songs, but not all songs by them. If the lyrics come from the heart and if you're a Christian(whether that's a committed one or a struggling one), spirituality will find its way into your lyrics. I speak from experience, being a lyricist myself. It's not like I TRY to infuse spirituality into my lyrics; it just happens.

uncertaindrumer 07-28-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Oh, I'll agree, at this point, Alter Bridge doesn't compare with Creed. I just pulled out MOP for the first time in a couple of months and I listened to the whole thing, without skipping a single track. I forgot how amazing that CD was. I mean, no track on that CD, imo, is skippable. You've got solid track after solid track after solid track. Whereas on ODR, I skip a couple(namely 2 out of the last 3 tracks) tracks. Even though there are some great solos and great tracks on ODR, it still isn't as good, imo, as MOP. But it is a excellent debut CD for AB, considering the amount of time they took recording it.

Well of course I am gonna disagree but we all know that :rolleyes:

Quote:

However, AB still COULD become better than Creed, maybe not from a success standpoint, but from a creative standpoint. What I'd like to see for the next CD is Myles writing all the lyrics(Mark's a decent lyricist, but I think Myles would be a better fit), a few more solos and if there are ballads, I'd like to see better ones. If AB can approve upon the first CD on the next album and then carry that momentum over to the third CD, then they could very well end up a creatively better band than Creed.

They will never match Creed's record sale success for a number of reasons: They(hopefully) are not going to sell out; they have a REAL rock singer, a TENOR, and people who listen to radio dislike tenors; Disc burning and downloading has become so much more rampant in the last five years that it is VERY difficult for a rock band to get that many albums sold. The pople who buy CD's are generally the people who can't download them, and while this is a horrific stereotype, it is nonetheless true--it is the 13 year old girls who can't download them. They are the main driving force behind the mainstream/pop scene, and any cursory look at the charts will show you that.

Quote:

As far as the lyrics in Creed, there definitely wasn't religious stuff in every single song. Is there anything religious about Bullets? How about What If? Or My Sacrifice? Or One?

Did you just use bullets as an example of what a song's lyrics should be...? Come on, Titan, I know you are better than that. What If is actually the only song I don't mind the lyrics. But One is the msot preachy song I can think of at the moment...

Quote:

See what I mean? There were spiritual meanings sprinkled into some songs, but not all. U2 does the same sort of thing.

U2's lyrics are actually good. Ask anyone who really works at songwriting, poetry, lyrics--Creed does not have good lyrics. Of course, this is a moot point because as I said, AB has downright rotten ones as well...

And as a final note--First of all, saying Audioslave is worse than RATM is ridiculous for a number of reasons. First, they are completely different types of music. Second, Cornell is a better singer than de la Roche, PERIOD, so if you are going to compare the bands, compare the bands--not the singers. Third, Audioslave doesn't scream the entire time. That is always a good thing, right?

And as a final, final note, such songs as My Sacrifice, One last Breath etc. are simply not that good from an objectvie perspective. I understand how far opinion goes and all, but things like this have been, done before, they are entirely unoriginal, are pretty darn simple chord progressions, and they all sound pretty much the same. Anyway, I gotta go.

I will come back and defend music's honor later. lol, jk

titan9 07-28-2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrummer
Did you just use bullets as an example of what a song's lyrics should be...? Come on, Titan, I know you are better than that. What If is actually the only song I don't mind the lyrics. But One is the msot preachy song I can think of at the moment...

No, no, no, I did not use Bullets as an example of what a song's lyrics SHOULD be. I used Bullets as an example of the Creed songs that did not have spirituality in them. No way was I implying that Bullets is a lyrical masterpiece; it's far from that.

About One: I can't really spot any spirituality in that song. Is it preachy in that it preaches peace and unity? Yes and I think that's a good thing. Is it preachy in that it preaches religion? Heck no. That was why I cited that song as a Creed song that doesn't have any spirituality in it. In your posts you have made it seem like every Creed song is preachy about religion, which isn't true.

Never would I compare Stapp, lyrically, to Bono, lyrically. I like Stapp's lyrics more than Bono's(pretty much because I like Creed more than I do U2), but I know that Bono is a lot more respected as a lyricist than Stapp is. I also know that Bono is ranked among the best when it comes to frontmen and that U2 is ranked as a legendary band. I don't disagree with that at all, because U2 has done a lot of great things as a band and they've always been a pretty creative band. However, I perfer Stapp to Bono and Creed to U2. But I know not everyone does and that's why I wouldn't dare say Stapp is as good as or better than Bono.

uncertaindrumer 07-28-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

No, no, no, I did not use Bullets as an example of what a song's lyrics SHOULD be. I used Bullets as an example of the Creed songs that did not have spirituality in them. No way was I implying that Bullets is a lyrical masterpiece; it's far from that.

lol, I knew what you meant Titan, I was just giving you trouble for using Bullets as ANY kind of examples for lyrics, lol!

Quote:

About One: I can't really spot any spirituality in that song. Is it preachy in that it preaches peace and unity? Yes and I think that's a good thing. Is it preachy in that it preaches religion? Heck no. That was why I cited that song as a Creed song that doesn't have any spirituality in it. In your posts you have made it seem like every Creed song is preachy about religion, which isn't true.

Meh, not preachy about religion. Just preachy. And they aren't ALL. As I have said many times, Creed's singles are their worst songs by far. MOP had some preachy songs (like One), but overall I liked the album, with four or five songs I didn't like too much. Then in HC and Weathered they went commercial. I hate it when bands with potential sell that potential for success.

Quote:

Never would I compare Stapp, lyrically, to Bono, lyrically. I like Stapp's lyrics more than Bono's(pretty much because I like Creed more than I do U2), but I know that Bono is a lot more respected as a lyricist than Stapp is. I also know that Bono is ranked among the best when it comes to frontmen and that U2 is ranked as a legendary band. I don't disagree with that at all, because U2 has done a lot of great things as a band and they've always been a pretty creative band.

'Xactly

Quote:

However, I perfer Stapp to Bono and Creed to U2. But I know not everyone does and that's why I wouldn't dare say Stapp is as good as or better than Bono.

:cool: You like Creed more than U2/ Someday you will change your mind ;)

Tremontixriffs 07-29-2005 07:48 AM

[quote=uncertaindrumer]lol, I knew what you meant Titan, I was just giving you trouble for using Bullets as ANY kind of examples for lyrics, lol!

Meh, not preachy about religion. Just preachy. And they aren't ALL. As I have said many times, Creed's singles are their worst songs by far. MOP had some preachy songs (like One), but overall I liked the album, with four or five songs I didn't like too much. Then in HC and Weathered they went commercial. I hate it when bands with potential sell that potential for success.

'Xactly

C'mon Uncertain I know my own prison was great and most people think they went commercial, but honestly I can pop in human clay and listen from begining to end and not be disappointed with the songs, they all kicked ass with wicked guitar and kick ass lyrics, however I believe that Weathered was more of a commerical album than human clay. Also name one rock band that becomes popular that doesn't go commerical...The list go on including U2 which for a period of time in the 90's went totally fag...They came back strong and dropped that who village people thing they had during the 90's. Also who cares if a album is a little commercial, some commercial songs aren't that bad unless their done by gay boy bands like backstreet, ect. Creed was by no means a boy band and had they stayed together would have probable made it to the rock hall of fame.

uncertaindrumer 07-29-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

C'mon Uncertain I know my own prison was great and most people think they went commercial, but honestly I can pop in human clay and listen from begining to end and not be disappointed with the songs, they all kicked ass with wicked guitar and kick ass lyrics, however I believe that Weathered was more of a commerical album than human clay. Also name one rock band that becomes popular that doesn't go commerical...The list go on including U2 which for a period of time in the 90's went totally fag...They came back strong and dropped that who village people thing they had during the 90's. Also who cares if a album is a little commercial, some commercial songs aren't that bad unless their done by gay boy bands like backstreet, ect. Creed was by no means a boy band and had they stayed together would have probable made it to the rock hall of fame.

First, they would not have gone to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, critics HATED them, and the only thing critics do in their spare time is vote on HoF ballots, lol

Second, you say that as long as it isn't the backstreet boys, it is alright if its commercial? I don't see the difference. Tremonti knows how to play the guitar A LOT better than he played it on HC and Weathered, he clearly dumbed itdown. The drums are the same recycled beat over and over, and Stapp... well you all know what I think of him. But regardless, they sold their albums in the same way. Catchy, insubstatial licks and a singer who was supposedly "hot".

titan9 07-29-2005 11:26 AM

Lol, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, U2's music is totally different from Creed's and I don't think I'll ever like U2's music more than say Creed's music or Alter Bridge's music or 12 Stones' music. U2's just a tad bit too, for lack of a better word, "soft" for me to like them more than the bands I mentioned, being the rocker that I am.:laugh: But I am a fan of U2 and I really respect what they've done over the years. Bands like U2 are rare.

As for the singles being the worst, well for the most part, they're not as good creatively as the rest of the songs. But rarely are a band's singles their best work. There's an exemption to the rule, though, imo. As I've already said, "One" and "My Own Prison" are my two favorite Creed songs and both were released as singles. I think those two songs are Creed's best work and I am sure there are others who would agree with me. So I can't completely agree with your statement, lol.

You know, I've always wondered how much Wind-Up pushed them to go commercial with their last two CDs. I just can't see Mark, Flip, Scott and Brian(when he was still apart of the band) wanting to go commercial just for the sake of making a bunch of money. Basically, I can't see them as wanting to "sell" out. I think Wind-Up pushed them to make more commercially friendly CDs.

uncertaindrumer 07-29-2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Lol, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, U2's music is totally different from Creed's and I don't think I'll ever like U2's music more than say Creed's music or Alter Bridge's music or 12 Stones' music. U2's just a tad bit too, for lack of a better word, "soft" for me to like them more than the bands I mentioned, being the rocker that I am.:laugh: But I am a fan of U2 and I really respect what they've done over the years. Bands like U2 are rare.

Well I guess I should ammend that. If you are a musician, eventually you will like U2 more, lol. Otherwise, yeah, prolly not.

Quote:

As for the singles being the worst, well for the most part, they're not as good creatively as the rest of the songs. But rarely are a band's singles their best work. There's an exemption to the rule, though, imo. As I've already said, "One" and "My Own Prison" are my two favorite Creed songs and both were released as singles. I think those two songs are Creed's best work and I am sure there are others who would agree with me. So I can't completely agree with your statement, lol.

Well first, I mean particularly their singles from the two albums I obviously don't like... but then again my least favorite songs of MOP are... you guessed it. lol

Quote:

You know, I've always wondered how much Wind-Up pushed them to go commercial with their last two CDs. I just can't see Mark, Flip, Scott and Brian(when he was still apart of the band) wanting to go commercial just for the sake of making a bunch of money. Basically, I can't see them as wanting to "sell" out. I think Wind-Up pushed them to make more commercially friendly CDs.

Oh I definitely think WU was part of the problem, although Stapp was as well. He clearly likes softer, less in-depth music. I think a major reason why Tremo left Creed was--duh--the fact that he was pushed to create super dumbed-down songs with a bunch of silly chord progressions. I don't pretend to know exactly WHY Creed went super-commercial. I don't really care why; the end result is the same.

titan9 07-29-2005 01:41 PM

First off, lol, I am kind of a musician. I've been writing song lyrics for a year now and am learning to play acoustic guitar as well. I might eventually take up another instrument, but for now, I'm focusing on acoustic and then I'll buy myself an electric and try to shred like Mark.:laugh:

Secondly, I wouldn't say that Stapp likes less in depth music. You do know that he is a big fan of U2, right? He also was/is a big fan of the Doors. I haven't really listened to much Doors stuff, but I do know that U2 has some pretty in depth, creative music. It's possible that Stapp forced Tremonti to cut back on his soloing, as Stapp himself has said that he isn't a big fan of solos. But, Tremonti is his own man, so I kinda doubt he'd let Stapp tell him what to do when it comes to playing his guitar. However, he would have to listen to Wind-up, so that's why I think Wind-Up is to blame.

Tremontixriffs 07-30-2005 10:36 AM

Quote:

First, they would not have gone to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, critics HATED them, and the only thing critics do in their spare time is vote on HoF ballots, lol

Second, you say that as long as it isn't the backstreet boys, it is alright if its commercial? I don't see the difference. Tremonti knows how to play the guitar A LOT better than he played it on HC and Weathered, he clearly dumbed itdown. The drums are the same recycled beat over and over, and Stapp... well you all know what I think of him. But regardless, they sold their albums in the same way. Catchy, insubstatial licks and a singer who was supposedly "hot".

Uncertain,
I just finished researching this out , it seems you were wrong when you say the critics hated creed, All three of their albums got good reviews by countless members of the press, unless it somehow was a review by the I hate creed fanclub.Creed won countless awards while together and these awards were voted on by the media such as grammys, vh1 , mtv music awards and countless others. I respect your opinion on creed, to me they ruled and i did not think they were sappy or gay or anything like that, Im a guy who likes rock music and they made some awsome music together, but thats done with anyway.

Do any of you guys like Eve 6 or Disturbed?

Dogstar 07-30-2005 02:02 PM

Heh, the I Hate Creed fanclub was pretty full. It became cool to bash them, so lots of the media sheep got on the bandwagon. Regardless, Creed brought hours of enjoyment a crapload of new friends, several of them from this board.

I don't know much from Eve 6, but Disturbed is OK. I like a few of their songs.

titan9 07-30-2005 02:08 PM

Completely agree with you on your statement about it becoming cool to bash Creed. Quite a few people(including one of my brothers) bashed Creed just because it seemed cool. They didn't even hear any of Creed's music, aside from the singles, and yet they said that all their songs "sounded the same". Some of the singles sound similar, but not the exact same. And the non-single stuff is largely different from the singles.

Dogstar 07-30-2005 02:10 PM

If any of them had given MOP (the album) a chance, they never would have said those things. I can see them bashing the later stuff, as even I don't listen to Weathered much anymore, but HC and MOP get regular play.

Ana4Stapp 07-30-2005 02:49 PM

Quote:

Completely agree with you on your statement about it becoming cool to bash Creed. Quite a few people(including one of my brothers) bashed Creed just because it seemed cool. They didn't even hear any of Creed's music, aside from the singles, and yet they said that all their songs "sounded the same". Some of the singles sound similar, but not the exact same. And the non-single stuff is largely different from the singles.

Nothing is becoming so "cool" than to bash Stapp... You can see here people posting threads to do it...