CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Alter Bridge Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Myles Sounds An Awful Lot Like... (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=7663)

Grunge_Rocker 10-10-2004 11:15 PM

Myles Sounds An Awful Lot Like...

Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell? That is a good thing, BTW. I just bought Alter Bridge today, and it totally rocked my ears. I thought Creed was good, but this new band is a bit harder I think. I actually think the band sounds good with this newer singer.

I always like to hear Chris Cornell, no matter what album or band he is with. I think Cornell is an extremely talented musician, and I think Myles sounds just like him, especially all throughout End Is Here. That is a good sign. If Myles sounds so much Cornell, than he may also prove that his musicianship could almost compare with Grunge veteran Cornell. (Sincere apologies to Myles Kennedy in regards for the comparison to Cornell; I mean absolutely no disrespect. But you have to admit, Chris Cornell has always done pretty darn good with everything he ever put forth. At least in my opinion.)

I really think this band will go very far, and their debut did much better than I had expected it too. So listen to Alter Bridge, kiddies. Go to their concerts. Buy their stuff. Tell your friends about them. Support their efforts, for crying out loud!

Steve 10-10-2004 11:26 PM

I think he does sound like Cornell in a few parts of songs - mainly towards the end of Find The Real. He does have his own unique sound though.

Dogstar 10-10-2004 11:29 PM

I agree. I hear some Cornell-like vocals. I even hear a little Jeff Buckley touches. I think he does have his own sound, though.

fluttergirl 10-10-2004 11:30 PM

He doesn't sound like Cornel today, maybe circa the 1980s, but DEFINITELY from the same school of vocal(ness? ality?). So yes, he does. And as Steve said, he does have his own sound as well.

Ann Allusion 10-10-2004 11:30 PM

Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell?

thus the reason i said in the very beginning that AB sounded like early "Soundgarden" in sooo many ways...and my preferences are for the origional.

evyllsummer 10-10-2004 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Allusion
thus the reason i said in the very beginning that AB sounded like early "Soundgarden" in sooo many ways...and my preferences are for the origional.

Well, Soundgarden was tapping into the 70s sound, and AB is doing that as well...some similarities exist because they are both drinking from the same well...metaphorically speaking...and Myles and EARLY Cornell have similar range...

Dogstar 10-10-2004 11:46 PM

Yeah, Cornell can't hit those high notes the way he used to, but he still sounds great :D.

evyllsummer 10-11-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yeah, Cornell can't hit those high notes the way he used to, but he still sounds great :D.

yeah, DS, I'm still all about Cornell...I'm a fan for life...we discussed the whole "voice texture" issue in the "yet another Myles thread", so I won't repeat it here, but, yeah, CC is still way kewl...

aussiecreeder 10-11-2004 02:47 AM

yeah in the find the real he sounds like soundgarden(ish) cornell. other times he sounds a bit like buckley but most of the time he sounds just like himself. if you are going to sound like anyone else it may as well be those two IMO. as for cornell he isn't the singer he was in the early to late 90's but he is still one of the best.

evyllsummer 10-11-2004 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
yeah in the find the real he sounds like soundgarden(ish) cornell. other times he sounds a bit like buckley but most of the time he sounds just like himself. if you are going to sound like anyone else it may as well be those two IMO. as for cornell he isn't the singer he was in the early to late 90's but he is still one of the best.

yeah, I was thinking about that note in "find the real" and, it kinda sounds like Cornell, but it sounds like Cornell when he sounds like Dio, so...maybe it just sounds like Dio...

The Lithium 10-11-2004 11:56 AM

Well, he sounds a little alike I'd say, but if you listen to first Audioslave and then Alter Bridge - you can hear a big difference!!

RMadd 10-11-2004 12:18 PM

I agree, he sounds alot like Chris, particularly when he gets into his upper range (which is so freakin' amazing!)

fluttergirl 10-11-2004 01:20 PM

Lith, listen to some old Soundgarden, or his solo CD.
the smaoking and screaming has done a lot of wear and tear on his chords in recent years.

Grunge_Rocker 10-11-2004 01:35 PM

Yeah man, Cornell's bad habits have really taken their toll on him over the years :smokin: . Back in the old `Garden days, Chris was best known for his ability to wail like ain't no tomorrow all throughout some of his songs. And he could actually blend his voice into the chord, so that the riff would start out as a guitar strike and actually end up with Cornell screaming wildly.

He only attempted these feats a couple of times on the `Slave debut, and those attempts weren't nearly as successful. I hate to admit, but Chris' voice seems somehow corroded these days from all the smokin' he's done.

I'm hoping that Myles Kennedy will tend to pick where Cornell is gradually leaving off. :o

The Lithium 10-11-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluttergirl
Lith, listen to some old Soundgarden, or his solo CD.
the smaoking and screaming has done a lot of wear and tear on his chords in recent years.

Well, I guess so...