CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hurricane! Is everyone alright? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9580)

JulieCitySlicker 08-30-2005 03:26 PM

Hurricane! Is everyone alright?

Hey Everyone, I hope that everyone that has been affected by this last huirricane are safe! I just saw some of the damage that Katrina left behind and it was just horribe! I could never even imagine living through that. I hope your all ok. *Hugs*

hotforscott 08-30-2005 04:33 PM

All of our hotels here are booked up due to people from Louisiana coming this way, and we have had some gloomy weather. I like the wind and mist that it's bringing our way here in Arkansas, but I wish it was accompanied by sunny skies, not gray ones.

creedsister 08-30-2005 04:47 PM

im enjoying whats left :) its better than fun in the sun i do have to admit after i was shaking in my camper last night with the strong gusts of wind i gotta lit shakey, but it passed

Dogstar 08-30-2005 05:08 PM

Man, this was one brutal storm. I don't think they have a clue about how much damage it has done. They are estimating hundreds of deaths. This is very sad.

JulieCitySlicker 08-30-2005 07:07 PM

I know Kerri :( Just from seeing the damage and all the water and flooding there,I don't think they have a clue to how many lives are lost altogether. I'll bet it ends up being more than hundreds,unfortunately.

hayley 08-30-2005 08:00 PM

I've been watching some of the footage on CNN and the news, horrible stuff this hurricane Katrina. :( My thoughts go to the ones who have lost their lives, let's hope the death toll doesn't rise any more ....

aussiecreeder 08-30-2005 08:18 PM

I was reading that whole states were being urged to leave, I just can't imagine that. New Orleans is below sea level they tell me so that would have made the flooding so much worse. terrible news...... :(

Dogstar 08-30-2005 08:40 PM

Yes, and what happened was that the poorer people couldn't get out. In Biloxi, Miss., they got hit with a 25-foot wall of water. It just ripped the shoreline to shreds. I watched the news and they devoted the whole half hour to the storm. This is like all those Florida hurricanes from last year all rolled into one. I'm going to donate some clothes and money to the relief effort. I have two bags of clothes I can give.

hotforscott 08-30-2005 09:59 PM

Kerri,

Do you have any information on where to send donations and stuff. I have plenty of stuff I can send to them. I can look online for an address or what not, but I thought you might have it handy. I know 480,000 were being evacuated as of yesterday, on the news that was the number they gave, they say this is worse then Hurricane Emily. I really have them all in my thoughts and prayers.

hotforscott 08-30-2005 10:02 PM

I found this incase anyone else is interested in helping.

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics...HOO&cmpgn=HMPG

Ana4Stapp 08-30-2005 10:57 PM

Im very sorry about this horrible situation.I saw at TV and the sad images are still in my mind. My thoughts and prayers are with the every person that suffered this catastrophe. :(

RMadd 08-31-2005 01:07 AM

i'm alright.... got a little windy yesterday afternoon, but with the storm beginning to track towards the ohio valley, i don't think we're gonna get any of its rain. it's just too bad, tho, what happened in n'arlins. they did manage to miss the strongest bit of the storm (tho barely), but w/ lake ponchatrain (sp?) overflowing & busting the levees, putting something like 80% of the city under some amts of water (as of earlier today), well that's just horrible.

Dogstar 08-31-2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotforscott
Kerri,

Do you have any information on where to send donations and stuff. I have plenty of stuff I can send to them. I can look online for an address or what not, but I thought you might have it handy. I know 480,000 were being evacuated as of yesterday, on the news that was the number they gave, they say this is worse then Hurricane Emily. I really have them all in my thoughts and prayers.

I didn't have anything handy, but I'm going to be checking online as well. I'm sure any Red Cross would gladly take donations.

Steve 08-31-2005 10:04 PM

Are there any forum members here who were in the path of Katrina and were directly hit?

JulieCitySlicker 08-31-2005 10:35 PM

I'm not sure Steve,but I know that Aimee is in Florida,I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Dogstar 08-31-2005 10:54 PM

I think Aimee's on the East Coast, so she's probably OK. I can't think of anyone offhand who might be in La. or Miss.

JulieCitySlicker 08-31-2005 11:04 PM

Ok Kerri :) Thanks for the headsup on Aimee.

I have atleast one friend from another board that was in New Orleans before the storm hit,that we haven't heard from yet :( All we know is that she left there on Sunday and headed for somewhere in Lousiana. Please pray that she will be alright and checkin over there soon! Thanks!

JulieCitySlicker 08-31-2005 11:12 PM

This was posted at another site I chat at :( My friends here know Paul Mc Coy's mom and they got this update from her.

i found a message from gail saying that all the members of 12 stones were safe but all had losses whether it be property / home / vehicle. I think the message Reya found was more recent bc at the time Gail didn't know when they would be able to return home. Bob and his wife lost their home to the flood waters and many other 12 stones fans in the area were affected, it's so sad!

Dogstar 08-31-2005 11:34 PM

I will definitely pray for your friend and any others who might have friends down there, Julie. I still can't get over the damage. It's unreal.

JulieCitySlicker 09-01-2005 11:39 AM

Thanks Kerri :hugs: I know what you mean about the damage to :( Everytime I see it on the news its more and more of a shock to me seeing all of those houses almost completely underwater.

Anna1011 09-01-2005 11:57 AM

i feel for everyone having to go through this right now, i just cant imagine what its like to loose so much of your life.

Mulletman 09-01-2005 12:50 PM

It raised the water line in about 20 feet and gave up the most beautiful weather we've had all summer. The irony just gives you the biggest, warmest fuzzy ever.

Dogstar 09-01-2005 01:40 PM

Yeah, this is weird. We're in a nice weather stretch now, too. Still warm, but no humidity. Rare for this time of year.

JulieCitySlicker 09-01-2005 02:32 PM

^^^Ya,same here ;) It almost makes you feel guilty just knowing that further south isn't so lucky :(

Dogstar 09-01-2005 02:35 PM

I know. It's so awful.

JulieCitySlicker 09-01-2005 09:32 PM

I've been hearing that there is looting and fights breaking out in New Orleans now. How could they loot and do stuff like that after going through so much from the storm :dunno: They said on the news today that there are rapes happening and fights now to. What happened to sticking together?

hotforscott 09-01-2005 11:46 PM

It's very sad that people are stealing from one another, and also the gas price gaugers in surrounding states. It's getting up to 6.00 a gallon in states where these people are traveling to escape. It's 3.49 here and to me that is NUTS. I understand that there is a low supply in crisis, but the news even said people are taking advantage, and getting large fines. They say that it could be months before people see any insurance money, and in the meantime, they have to come up with money to keep their payments on time. How do you do that when you have nothing left? Hopefully companies will work with them. I cannot imagine going through what they are going through. Sending your kids off with strangers, and not even knowing exactly where they are as means for survival. People are making some major decisions and sacrifices, that I hope I never have to endure. I respect them a great deal, and am going to do all I can to help.

Dogstar 09-01-2005 11:57 PM

This is completely crazy. People make me sick. The only hope is that karma will come back and bite the thieves in the ass. I'm going to do all I can to help, too. My company is pledging up to $500,000 in matching employee contributions, so I'll be donating. I'm getting some clothes and other things ready, too.

The gas thing is nuts. It's gone up 60 cents since Sunday. That's crazy. I'm seriously going to curtail my driving. I'm actually going to walk to my bank tomorrow and I'm limiting my errands to one day a week. My travel plans will be scaled back as well. This kind of gouging will do nothing but hurt the economy because people will stop spending.

hotforscott 09-02-2005 12:06 AM

I know what you mean. I made a Red Cross cash donation online, and I am bringing supplies to the Clear Channel Metroplex tomorrow. I wanted to volunteer, but with the hurt puppy, I can't leave him for extended periods of time now, but I am going to do what I can to help. Craig is driving his motorcycle to work, instead of his truck, because it takes less gas. We filled our vehicles up 3 days ago when it was 2.69, and I am only driving when necessary. Since a lot of refugees are here in Little Rock, there are a lot of supply centers set up all over town, where they can come and get clothes, food, and what not. So I am taking my items to those types of places also. The news said the Central Arkansas area has sent 7 semi-trucks to the gulf full of supplies, and raised 45,000, in 3 days. It's great when people can come together and help, but it sucks when there are so many who try to kick people while they are down (such as price gouging).

Dogstar 09-02-2005 01:54 AM

Yeah, it is great when people take the time to help each other out. This relief effort could take years.

JulieCitySlicker 09-02-2005 07:34 AM

I know,gas here is supposed to go up to atleast $4.00! I'm lucky I don't drive,lol. I'll be donating some money to, when I get paid today.

aussiecreeder 09-02-2005 07:58 AM

80% of homes in new orleans is underwater i read this morning. :(
this may sound bad or weird but its one thing when terrible events happen in some poor third country. it seems somehow more real to me when its london or the u.s even if those countries are on the other side of the world. don't know if anyone else feels the same way as me......

hotforscott 09-02-2005 09:14 AM

I have heard that there are people with FEMA that will spend the rest of their careers, 15-20 years doing nothing BUT re-building New Orleans. It is a very emotional time for a lot of people. Being that it's just weeks away from the 9-11 anniversary, probably even more so, because they both have had such an impact on society. I saw that 109,000 had been raised here in Central Arkansas at this point, and I hope that number continues to rise. My heart really goes out to the victims of this tragic catastrophe.

creedsister 09-02-2005 10:00 AM

Now We Got Fire Folks

Down in new orleans its a sight my prayers are with those poor casulties down there, last i heared i think Bush was planing on dropping in and stopping by :D how wonderful

Dogstar 09-02-2005 01:31 PM

Yeah, Bush was just answering reporters' questions about why the relief effort is moving so slowly.

Bridge of Clay 09-02-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yeah, Bush was just answering reporters' questions about why the relief effort is moving so slowly.

They knew it was coming, why they didn't do nothing before???

Maybe Bush was busy in his ranch...

Dogstar 09-02-2005 04:47 PM

Heh, I'm trying to keep the politics out of it because if I start on Bush, there will be no stopping me. :mad:

hotforscott 09-02-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Heh, I'm trying to keep the politics out of it because if I start on Bush, there will be no stopping me. :mad:

LOL, Past threads have shown that there have been some pretty heated debates in this department. I am the same way.

Bridge of Clay 09-02-2005 05:09 PM

Quote:

hehehe I couldn't resist! sorry

JulieCitySlicker 09-02-2005 06:54 PM

The thing that I don't get is this,and my boss was saying the same thing today to. We have so many airliners in our country alone,why can't they send some planes over there and get those people OUT! Its been over 4 days now and all of those poeple are still trapt in New Orleans with nothing to do besides wait for help to come and food/water. I think more could be done to rescue those people.