CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Alter Bridge Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mark's singing (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=10617)

Finaldecision 03-16-2006 02:24 PM

Re: Mark's singing

3DD singer has a different voice than Stapp. To me he sings worse than him.
Do you want to know what I think is special with Stapps voice?

Here are a few points:
- great type of barritone voice for me (listen to My Own Prison or One)
- very passionated voice (listen to Faceless Man) Couldn't imagine 3DD sing it that well
- He can also can kind of scream (What If, Reach Out, Freedom Fighter)

titan9 03-16-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer
Meh, I figured you would mention those guys. Nothing really particularly special about any of them.

You asked for other "good" baritones, and so I named a couple that are fairly known. I could name some more that I think are good(like Matt Hammit of Sanctus Real, for instance) but you probably wouldn't know who they were. :D

Quote:

I actually was listening to the radio the other day (shocking, I know) and a song came on and it sounded exactly like Stapp singing it and I was confused. I was like "Did I totally miss a song off his album?". Turns out the song was by 3 Doors Down. Stapp sounds like everyone else. Of course YOU can differentiate him... you listen to his songs all the time for a long time. I can pick him out. I have listened to his songs often. But he still sounds very generic.

One thing: you're absolutely CRAZY if you think Stapp sounds like Brad Arnold(that is his name, right?) I hear no vocal resemblence between those two, so I can't understand why you think Stapp and Arnold sound anything alike. Yes, I might give you the Vedder comparison, but no way will I give you that comparison.

BTW, I don't listen to Stapp all the time(I've been more into U2 and a bunch of other artists lately) and I've only been a Creed fan for 3-4 years. But when I hear just one or two seconds of him singing, I know exactly who it is. Even my niece and nephew do(and I have put them to the test on that.....and they only know one or two Creed songs). I still think Stapp has a fairly unique voice.

Robin101 03-16-2006 04:22 PM

(evil laugh) look's like I nearly started a riot on here.

I have to agree with Titan. If I were to start a band I'd choose Stapp.

Great baritone, great charisma, great lyricist and as a secure heterosexual male I can say a great looking bloke. In short - a great frontman.

http://www.passionbreedsfollowers.co...ertainer.shtml

A great review! Quite a few on there at the moment.

I have always said that Myles is the best technically in the business and I respect Cornell, but Stapp's voice just pulls me in everytime.

Ana4Stapp 03-16-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

I actually was listening to the radio the other day (shocking, I know) and a song came on and it sounded exactly like Stapp singing it and I was confused. I was like "Did I totally miss a song off his album?". Turns out the song was by 3 Doors Down. Stapp sounds like everyone else. Of course YOU can differentiate him... you listen to his songs all the time for a long time. I can pick him out. I have listened to his songs often. But he still sounds very generic.

:rolleyes:

WOW!!!!
lol

Finaldecision 03-17-2006 09:49 AM

Hey Titan! Great post. Agree with that!! :)

uncertaindrumer 03-18-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titan9
You asked for other "good" baritones, and so I named a couple that are fairly known. I could name some more that I think are good(like Matt Hammit of Sanctus Real, for instance) but you probably wouldn't know who they were. :D

Meh, true. If I am going to go into the land of the unknown bands I try to find unique ones, not just more modern rock. :D

Quote:

One thing: you're absolutely CRAZY if you think Stapp sounds like Brad Arnold(that is his name, right?)

I am crazy, actually. But also, you are right, normally they don't sound *too* alike. But on this one song he sounded just like Stapp for quite a bit of time, just showing to me that sounding like Stapp isn't hard a all.

Quote:

BTW, I don't listen to Stapp all the time(I've been more into U2 and a bunch of other artists lately) and I've only been a Creed fan for 3-4 years. But when I hear just one or two seconds of him singing, I know exactly who it is. Even my niece and nephew do(and I have put them to the test on that.....and they only know one or two Creed songs). I still think Stapp has a fairly unique voice.

Well I don't quite get it. I mean, even if I were co concede that Stapp has a kind of unique voice (which I don't think he does), it would be in the sense that no one sings EXACTLY like him, but still, EVERYONE sings like he does. Deep throaty, grungy. As an example, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, etc. etc. all sound differnet, but they are all generic boring pop singers with nothing to really offer. Stapp doesn't sound exactly like everyone else but he sings the same exact way. Nothing interesting about him.

uncertaindrumer 03-18-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp
:rolleyes:

WOW!!!!
lol

?? I came by Alter Bridge because I listened to Creed. This shouldn't be s surprise... even if it is the source of my everlasting shame... heh.

Finaldecision 03-19-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

I am crazy, actually. But also, you are right, normally they don't sound *too* alike. But on this one song he sounded just like Stapp for quite a bit of time, just showing to me that sounding like Stapp isn't hard a all.

Well, maybe some people might be able to sing very similiar to him, but it's not only about good techniques: I mean is it difficult to play a usual blues on your bassguitar? Not really. Most bassplayer with a little experience could play easy bluesriffs. Bluesriffs sound good nevertheless. So it's not the technique and difficulty to play simple bluesriffs, it's the idea behind them and how they sound which makes them great. So it might be that some songs Stapp sings are not too hard (which I think is absolutely not true about every song). So if some people are able to sing very similiar to him they might do a good job with doing this. But then they were not the ones who had the idea behind this way of singing.