CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scott Stapp has a tip for strippers (not a joke) (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6863)

Higher_Desire 06-12-2004 01:02 AM

Scott Stapp has a tip for strippers (not a joke)

The following is a story from VH1.com

Scott Stapp Has A Tip For Strippers: Pay Me
He and others are suing a Florida club over licensing fees.

by Jennifer Vineyard

Scott Stapp doesn't want his music played in strip clubs — unless he's getting paid for it.

The former Creed frontman, along with several other songwriters including Janet Jackson and Poison's Bret Michaels, are suing a Clearwater,Florida, strip club that they say is using their music without paying the required licensing fees.

Fifteen songs that Diamond Dolls is said to have used "without a license or permission to do so" are cited in the suit, filed in Florida's U.S. Middle District Court in Tampa. They include Jackson's "Black Cat," Creed's "My Sacrifice," Slaughter's "Fly to the Angels," and Poison's "Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Unskinny Bop."

Broadcast Music Inc., which collects licensing fees and then pays out royalties to artists, is also listed as a complainant. A spokesperson for the organization said BMI had tried to get the club to pay up, but that Diamond Dolls has ignored four years of phone calls and letters.

BMI sent researchers to monitor the club's music use before filing suit, a common practice in cases where clubs aren't paying licensing fees, the spokesperson said. The case should go to trial before the end of the year if Diamond Dolls doesn't pay a settlement first, the spokesperson said.

The artists ask in the suit that the club pay statutory damages and legal fees. Had Diamond Dolls paid a licensing fee, BMI said it would have amounted to less than $1,000 per year.

A representative for the club denied the charges.
-----------------------

H-D :pimp:

hayley 06-12-2004 01:35 AM

What the hell, he doesn't want My Sacrifice to be played without a licence fee. What the heck. (Just that song, or all Creed songs?) That is pathetic! And so are all of those other artists who won't allow it.

:wtf:

aussiecreeder 06-12-2004 07:49 AM

this is preddy funny actually how bout a bit of "bound and tied"? :D fair enough though people should be paying to play these songs in public.

The Lithium 06-12-2004 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2stapp
What the hell, he doesn't want My Sacrifice to be played without a licence fee. What the heck. (Just that song, or all Creed songs?) That is pathetic! And so are all of those other artists who won't allow it.

:wtf:

No it's not!! Of course they should get payed, it's their music. Their work! The only way for them to make money is to make their music, and the law says that you should pay for stuff like this. Many artists makes millions of dollars a year just to be played in a CD store.

creedwisdom 06-12-2004 12:57 PM

with ya, again, lith. rip-offs are rip-offs, even more so at a strip club!

creedsister 06-12-2004 01:10 PM

All I Can Say What Great Music For A , Girl To Dance Too, HahaHa, If they were playing my stuff, i would want to get payed too :D

Bridge of Clay 06-12-2004 04:25 PM

It's not just playing their music. They're making profit over their music, therefore, it's fair at least to complain your rights.

Mulletman 06-12-2004 08:01 PM

I dont its so much about him not getting paid, but more about how his songs [meaningful] and where they are being played.

Plus, what am I gonna use now to get some ass?

Jooji_2 06-12-2004 08:07 PM

Uh.......

I read a story about this on Friday.....not the VH1....or MTV crap. The suit is actually being filed by Broadcast Music, Inc. They collect royalties which they then turn around and pay to the artists whose music they collect royalties for. That article indicated that the artists included in the suit were not actually directly involved themselves. And just for your information........Mark Tremonti's name is also on the suit.....remember he and Stapp are the songwriters for My Sacrifice. The club in question has refused to pay royalties for over three years....despite letters and phone calls from the Broadcast Music, Inc. staff.

Ain't it just like VH1 to pick out Stapp's name and make it sound like he called up his lawyer and said......"let's sue those strippers for not paying me my royalties". And they wonder why the dude won't have anything to do with them. If I can find a link to the article I read.....I'll post it. :D

hayley 06-12-2004 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM
No it's not!! Of course they should get payed, it's their music. Their work! The only way for them to make money is to make their music, and the law says that you should pay for stuff like this. Many artists makes millions of dollars a year just to be played in a CD store.

Woah, I didn't know any of this. Are you serious? I think it's stupid, it's good music, and should be free to anyone, they shouldn't have to pay to listen to it! I just think it's weird. I don't know of any New Zealand rock bands who do that here, probably because the companies don't have enough money for the request. J/k. ;)

Dogstar 06-12-2004 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jooji_2
Ain't it just like VH1 to pick out Stapp's name and make it sound like he called up his lawyer and said......"let's sue those strippers for not paying me my royalties". And they wonder why the dude won't have anything to do with them. If I can find a link to the article I read.....I'll post it. :D

Yeah, they never let the facts get in the way of what will sell.

Jooji_2 06-12-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2stapp
Woah, I didn't know any of this. Are you serious? I think it's stupid, it's good music, and should be free to anyone, they shouldn't have to pay to listen to it! I just think it's weird. I don't know of any New Zealand rock bands who do that here, probably because the companies don't have enough money for the request. J/k. ;)

I think the real issue is that fact that the dancers make money...the club makes money....using the music in question. By law they are supposed to pay a licensing fee....I think I read that it amounts to less than $1,000 a year. A drop in the bucket compared to the bucks the club makes in a year. Its the same way if a company wants to use a song in a commercial....they stand to make money from the advertisement...therefore they are required to pay for the use of the song. Lots of early rock artists....people like Chuck Berry, etc. alot of them never earned what was rightfully theirs, because they never got the royalties they were entitled to. BMI is actually an organization that protects the rights of bands and songwriters to make sure they get what they are lawfully entitled to. :D

Higher_Desire 06-12-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
this is preddy funny actually how bout a bit of "bound and tied"? :D fair enough though people should be paying to play these songs in public.

Bound and Tied? Maybe if it was an S&M club! lol. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by creedwisdom
with ya, again, lith. rip-offs are rip-offs, even more so at a strip club!

Maybe they play rip-offs for people to rip-off their clothes to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jooji_2
Ain't it just like VH1 to pick out Stapp's name and make it sound like he called up his lawyer and said......"let's sue those strippers for not paying me my royalties". And they wonder why the dude won't have anything to do with them. If I can find a link to the article I read.....I'll post it.

Maybe Stapp was at the club and he heard it, then, realizing that even if they were doing it in tribute to him, he noticed he had to tip the girls, and it was costing him money.

H-D :pimp:

Rune 06-12-2004 11:02 PM

lol

sorry, i can't take this seriously lol.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, all i'm going to say is this:

Thinking of getting a lap dance to my sacrifice makes me laugh uncontrollably.....LOL

Dogstar 06-12-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune
sorry, i can't take this seriously lol.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, all i'm going to say is this:

Thinking of getting a lap dance to my sacrifice makes me laugh uncontrollably.....LOL

Hahahahaha, good point! I would think Illusion would be more suited to a lap dance :D.