CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Great Divide Billboard review (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9729)

Ana4Stapp 10-08-2005 10:43 PM

Great Divide Billboard review

Quote:

SINGLE: THE GREAT DIVIDE
Scott Stapp recorded a track for last year‘s multi-artist compilation "The Passion of the Christ: Songs," but his official solo debut, "The Great Divide," arrives November 22. The first single and title track is more than a passing reminder that Stapp was the driving musical force in the polarizingly successful Creed. Aside from some folky acoustic guitars, "The Great Divide" is essentially a less bombastic version of the Creed hit "Higher." Stapp‘s curiously affected vocals stand out in the softer sound mix (which is not as loud as previous songs), but his rich tone is similar to Eddie Vedder's. He sings during the grand chorus, "You set me free to live my life/You became my reason to survive the great divide." It is not hard to figure out what Stapp has survived, but now he faces another test: whether radio will take more of the same from him.
Unecessary to say what I think about GD. :rolleyes: but this review has some interesting points:

1-yes- it sounds folky.
2- no -its not good as Higher ...(very distant , by the way...)
3- yes - his voice is 'similar' to Eddie Vedders voice.

What do you guys think?

Frankie 10-08-2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

The first single and title track is more than a passing reminder that Stapp was the driving musical force in the polarizingly successful Creed.

:D

rabidgopher04 10-09-2005 01:39 AM

Scott Stapp sounds like Eddie Vedder? NO WAY! That sounds so familiar.... Haven't we all heard that before?

Dogstar 10-09-2005 03:24 AM

Quote:

SINGLE: THE GREAT DIVIDE
Scott Stapp recorded a track for last year‘s multi-artist compilation "The Passion of the Christ: Songs," but his official solo debut, "The Great Divide," arrives November 22. The first single and title track is more than a passing reminder that Stapp was the driving musical force in the polarizingly successful Creed. Aside from some folky acoustic guitars, "The Great Divide" is essentially a less bombastic version of the Creed hit "Higher." Stapp‘s curiously affected vocals stand out in the softer sound mix (which is not as loud as previous songs), but his rich tone is similar to Eddie Vedder's. He sings during the grand chorus, "You set me free to live my life/You became my reason to survive the great divide." It is not hard to figure out what Stapp has survived, but now he faces another test: whether radio will take more of the same from him.

Stapp‘s curiously affected vocals stand out in the softer sound mix (which is not as loud as previous songs

This is the only part I agree with :D.

uncertaindrumer 10-09-2005 02:00 PM

I agree with the whole thing, almost.

The Lithium 10-09-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

The first single and title track is more than a passing reminder that Stapp was the driving musical force in the polarizingly successful Creed.
Fuck no! What to do, laugh or cry?

Agent D 10-09-2005 03:40 PM

Some review. Less bombastic than Higher? What the hell does that mean?

Dogstar 10-09-2005 04:32 PM

Hahah, yeah. That was pretty lame on most counts. Not much of a review either way.

uncertaindrumer 10-09-2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lithium
Fuck no! What to do, laugh or cry?

I don't know... I sorta agree with that statement... I think he was talking mroe about the commercial generic nature of the songs, maybe not.

Dogstar 10-09-2005 06:03 PM

I don't think he was specific enough in what constitutes his opinion. Driving force can have both negative and positive connotations.

uncertaindrumer 10-09-2005 10:47 PM

Yeah I don't see how anyone can "hate" that review... it was so ambiguous...

Ana4Stapp 10-09-2005 11:01 PM

^^^
I think this review is kinda ironic... :rolleyes:

The Lithium 10-10-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp
^^^
I think this review is kinda ironic... :rolleyes:

Hah, no kidding!

Bridge of Clay 10-10-2005 09:15 AM

I couldn't find the review for OYE so we could compare... just the one for ODR.

HuMaN~ClAy 10-10-2005 10:51 AM

I kinda agree with what, i think :confused:, this person is saying..... The Great Divide does sound a hell of a lot like a mellow version of Higher.... I've realized that after listening to this and Relearn Love I can honestly say that AB sounds nothing like Creed in comparison to the way Stapp does.... sounds like he really is making his solo album Creed #4, which isn't bad, kinda like we're getting new Creed songs.... bastard Creed songs n e way haha... even the "pawn shop band" honestly sounds oddly like Tremonti and Flip back in their Creed days, kinda catchy but not nearly to their full potential.

I guess making everything sound like Creed will work nicely when he plays Creed songs on tour :mad1: .....