CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is your favorite popular "Grunge" band? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=8606)

RMadd 02-13-2005 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea
I don't understand, what is so attractive about Pearl Jam?

that's what i've always wondered... esp these past few years....

DekWannaBFlea 02-14-2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
Kim Thayil is good but Mike McCready makes him look an amateur. One can look beyond Pearl Jam and what he did with Mad Season (a group featuring Layne Staley amongst others). There is an instrumental on that album called "November Hotel" where he goes off something shocking. :tremonti:
Matt Cameron has being in both groups although I think Soundgarden allowed him to show off his wares better. Another factor is that although Cornell in his prime was a vocal god, he is now a shadow of his former shelf whilst Vedder arguably is a better vocalist now...at least no worse than 92.

Yeah Yeah, but you can't include Cornell now because he isn't even in Soundgarden anymore, you have to compare Pearl Jam and Soundgarden when they were in their prime, Soundgarden's best stuff vs. Pearl Jam's stuff. ANd clearly Thayil owns Cready. And the same with Cornell (Listen to Slaves and Bulldosers, insane emotion, range and power).

The only thing that PJ has on SG is that they lasted longer, and to be frank PJ's more modern stuff is medicore to say the least, no wonder they don't get must air on modern radio.

fluttergirl 02-14-2005 01:35 AM

eddie vedder doesnt hold a flame to cornell, now or ever.

RMadd 02-14-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DekWannaBFlea
The only thing that PJ has on SG is that they lasted longer, and to be frank PJ's more modern stuff is medicore to say the least, no wonder they don't get must air on modern radio.

I'll drink to that!:cheers:

aussiecreeder 02-14-2005 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluttergirl
eddie vedder doesnt hold a flame to cornell, now or ever.

i downloaded cornell's appearance at the TOTD reunion (the pj show) and reach down was almost an embarassment, although the acoustic version of like a stone was good (hunger strike was poor as well, corin tucker did a better job). while ed's voice is almost tom waits like now it has held up better than cornell easily for me. cornell at his peak EASILY but now vedder just as easily. thayil is good but what has he done on record which blows away mccready?

secondly to those who question them cause they don't get much radio play...so what? the radio loves trash like nickelback and 3 doors down so i think that puts an end to that arguement.

Dogstar 02-14-2005 02:40 AM

I love both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, but Eddie Vedder can write circles around Chris Cornell lyrically. Vedder is one of the most amazing storytellers EVER. When I listen to PJ, I get pictures in my mind of the people in his stories, his songs. And the stories make you feel. Not that Cornell can't write, because I love Soundgarden a ton, but Vedder is just an awesome writer.

And McCready is the shit. Again, this is a player who plays with feel along with skill. What about Black? That guitar almost speaks to you in that song, and that's just one example. Also, for chops, check out November Hotel on the Mad Season CD and tell me he isn't kick-ass.

And right on, hide, about PJ evolving and changing and not giving in to the formulaic crap that pervades radio. What they put out is a gazillion times deeper, cerebral and entertaining than crap like the pseudo-punk pop bands all over the charts. I like music that takes me on a trip, that makes me think, that makes me feel. Both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam do that for me.

aussiecreeder 02-14-2005 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I love both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, but Eddie Vedder can write circles around Chris Cornell lyrically. Vedder is one of the most amazing storytellers EVER. When I listen to PJ, I get pictures in my mind of the people in his stories, his songs. And the stories make you feel. Not that Cornell can't write, because I love Soundgarden a ton, but Vedder is just an awesome writer.

And McCready is the shit. Again, this is a player who plays with feel along with skill. What about Black? That guitar almost speaks to you in that song, and that's just one example. Also, for chops, check out November Hotel on the Mad Season CD and tell me he isn't kick-ass.

And right on, hide, about PJ evolving and changing and not giving in to the formulaic crap that pervades radio. What they put out is a gazillion times deeper, cerebral and entertaining than crap like the pseudo-punk pop bands all over the charts. I like music that takes me on a trip, that makes me think, that makes me feel. Both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam do that for me.

Can I get an Amen? ;)
The radio arguement used earlier one is a strange at best as I'll explain. In the AB section many of you were complaining the grammys suck and its all about rewarding popular nonsense. Now the same people in this thread are saying PJ's recent stuff sucks and back that up by showing that radio is ignoring them (according to you guys deservedly so). You cannot have you cake and eat it too.

I say both bands rock/ed and its sad that in the early 90's there was such great mainstream rock and now the radio is filled with craptacular music like maroon 5, nickelback, 3 doors down and hoobastank.

DekWannaBFlea 02-14-2005 03:46 AM

Good discuassion...I love it.

Ok to got started.

"Can I get an Amen?
The radio arguement used earlier one is a strange at best as I'll explain. In the AB section many of you were complaining the grammys suck and its all about rewarding popular nonsense. Now the same people in this thread are saying PJ's recent stuff sucks and back that up by showing that radio is ignoring them (according to you guys deservedly so). You cannot have you cake and eat it too.

I say both bands rock/ed and its sad that in the early 90's there was such great mainstream rock and now the radio is filled with craptacular music like maroon 5, nickelback, 3 doors down and hoobastank."

Where have Pearl Jam's Fanbase gone? In an era where Post-grunge is still pretty popular, you would figure a band like Pearl Jam (grunge( could make it and in fact increase their fan base....but they don't...In fact I haven't even heard a newer song by pearl jam, even when requests are allowed. Maybe i its just where i live but still you would figure they would once in a while. Even on modern rock sations you don't here them.

Pearl Jam seems to busy with politics to worry about the music. (kind of pulling a rage against the machine) The fact is, they have faded into a mediocore band.

DekWannaBFlea 02-14-2005 03:55 AM

"I love both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, but Eddie Vedder can write circles around Chris Cornell lyrically. Vedder is one of the most amazing storytellers EVER. When I listen to PJ, I get pictures in my mind of the people in his stories, his songs. And the stories make you feel. Not that Cornell can't write, because I love Soundgarden a ton, but Vedder is just an awesome writer.

And right on, hide, about PJ evolving and changing and not giving in to the formulaic crap that pervades radio. What they put out is a gazillion times deeper, cerebral and entertaining than crap like the pseudo-punk pop bands all over the charts. I like music that takes me on a trip, that makes me think, that makes me feel. Both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam do that for me."

OK good a decent point, i will contend that Vedder is a very good writer. But remember that Cornell sings, plays guitar and writes lyrics. So i am guessing Cornell has a lot of influence in the instumental portion of the music. SG seems like a more music orientated band. In fact i love how the instrumentals sends my imagination into overdrive. It puts me into a place no words can describe. (Some songs that make me thinks this is Black hole sun, Overfloater, Zero Chance, and Blow up the outside world). Pearl Jam just doesn't do it for me. But i guess it just depends on what you are into.

Again, we are comparing PJ to SG, if McCready can out play Thayil it isn't apparent in PJ's music.

See my reponse to Aussiecreeder.

fluttergirl 02-14-2005 05:25 PM

ah, and cornell can play drums, started out as a drummer, so this whole singer thing may never have been.
as far as the vedder telling a story, he does tell a damn fine one, and cornell can symbolize him out the ass, which i kinda like, the darker lyrics to be taken more than one way.
plus, there is a difference to the voices. chris still has better range, despite the smoking and such, etc. i cant speak for him live cuz i have never had the chance (i hate circumstance) to see him, ill update my opinion of that this summer. personally, i grew up on cornell. i love the man, what can i say, im a little biased, lol.
vedder, better story teller (Jeremy)
cornell, better lyracist (IMHO, only though) (fluttergirl, we got the whip, blow up the outside world, black hole sun, all chock full of symbolism)

btw
it really is nice to be able to discuss two artists without resorting to name calling and such, and have an actual discussion. much more productive.

TeriB19 02-14-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

btw
it really is nice to be able to discuss two artists without resorting to name calling and such, and have an actual discussion. much more productive.

I wholeheartedly agree, fluttergirl! Peace. :peacelove

aussiecreeder 02-14-2005 06:47 PM

dek any chance of you using the reply with quote button? ;)
you are using popularity again as a way to judge success when i think its preddy clear the relationship is at best fragile and sometimes the relationship is even an inverse one. you mentioned that cornell also writes songs and plays guitar, well so does mr.vedder. go and see a pj show (or just buy their latest dvd) and you'll see vedder is a very good guitarist. i think that cornell at least in his prime was a better vocalist (obviously greater range and power) but pearl jam for me were/are a better band. i have a solution to this and its called temple of the dog!

fluttergirl 02-15-2005 01:08 AM

lol
and whooooooooo sings in totd?
lol
jk, want to keep the upbeat air to the thread....

aussiecreeder 02-15-2005 02:28 AM

Quote:

lol
and whooooooooo sings in totd?
lol
jk, want to keep the upbeat air to the thread....

i think it was some loser named chris cornell..... ;) lol jk
in those days that voice was just out of this world but i don't think its quite the same anymore although it has more power than a human voice should. that was like the ultimate band, the greatest pair of lungs of the day with such great muscians behind him. mike mccready in "reach down"....oh yeah! :)

DekWannaBFlea 02-15-2005 04:15 AM

Sorry Temple of the Dog isn't my kind of stuff, even though Cornell is in it.

The point i am tryin to make is that why have Pearl Jam lost so much success? Thts all i want an answer to.That is the point i am trying to make, and i bet even you would admit PJ's best stuff is in the early 90's.