CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Poll: How do you rate the great devide?1-10 why? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9851)

Tremontixriffs 11-02-2005 07:42 PM

Poll: How do you rate the great devide?1-10 why?

Hey guys for those who have heard the entire album Where do rate it as far as effort 1-10 why? Sound? 1-10 why? I think stapp and the boys breaking p actually gave each faction some motivation, so now we get the best of both worlds with Stapp and AB...Whats your thoughts?

titan9 11-02-2005 07:47 PM

I just listened to the whole thing for the first time. I won't say too much, because I'd like to hear it once or twice more before I go into detail. But, right now, I'm ranking this album right around an 8 or a 9. Really, I enjoyed every track on there. It seems to have a good blend of mellow/modern rock/hard rock....which is good. The break up seems to have been a very good thing for both sides. Stapp's music sounds pretty good, as does AB's.

The Lithium 11-02-2005 08:30 PM

Keep it one thread, man!!

Bridge of Clay 11-02-2005 08:47 PM

lol

where's the poll? I won't rate it yet.

Chase 11-03-2005 01:31 AM

I give it an 8 hands down.

The Lithium 11-03-2005 02:52 AM

I think Marcos was right, though:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
Review to come later after the excitement is gone and I post with reason instead of passion.!

Took over a week for me to do that with ODR! :D

Creed7352 11-03-2005 03:08 AM

no one is saying where they got it because i believe steve asked that it not be said? could be wrong...anyhow, i got it via email...lol

i rate it 6-7...i was surprised and didn't think it would be what it is, but the harder tracks in the beginning then the softer ones later just makes me sort of lose interest in the later tracks...i either listen to the first 5 or the last 5...if it were more mixed it would be better cause i'd listen to it all at once. also, some of the lyrics seem a bit subpar than the ones in creed...it sounds like he's taken what he's said in interviews on his acoustic promo and put them into song form...meh.

INDIGOSTEVE 11-03-2005 04:32 AM

i give it a solid 9 only one track that I haven't go into track 1 everything else liked it first time around! thanks to who sent it to me!

scrit 11-03-2005 09:01 PM

waaaaaaay too early to rate yet

buut what the hell 8.75

HuMaN~ClAy 11-03-2005 09:11 PM

i'll give it a strong 8... some of the songs i think are just bad, like Let Me Go and Broken... but others i think are awesome!!! like Justify and Surround Me...

the cd is like the interview that everyone was waiting for... it tells us more about how he handled the break up and how he feels about it than any interview has done yet... i really love that.

and i honestly was expecting a cd full of "Relearn Love" like tracks haha... really thought Fight Song would be the only heavy track when that clip was released... but to my good surprise it was just a taste :)

Edited - and yea, where's the poll, lol... don't call it a poll if there isn't actually a poll here... you got my hopes up lol.

Tremontixriffs 11-03-2005 09:18 PM

Sorry dud im new to this whole poll thing..lol

HuMaN~ClAy 11-03-2005 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremontixriffs
Sorry dud im new to this whole poll thing..lol

lol.. it's ok haha

LastExit2 11-03-2005 09:48 PM

I give it a 5/10, I don't like the angrier songs on the first half of the record but once it gets to Let Me Go it gets better. Stapp's voice has become quite nasal and whiny so it's best when he doesn't yell, the mellow songs work better. Fav songs are Let Me Go, Surround Me, Sublime, and parts of You will Soar and Broken.

SnowBlower-HALL 11-07-2005 10:38 AM

I've only just been given a copy of this album by this friend of mine, ;) so I've only heard each song the once,but,"Wow"..."I love each and every track.

-Surround me, and justify are powerful songs ( lyrically ) and I find myself being able to identify with more of the songs on this album, then I can with some of scotts other work. (Which I prefer, when looking for an artist.

Overall, I'd say its a 9 out of 10 from me. I like it alot.

Rocketqueen 11-07-2005 10:52 AM

well i cant wait to tell ya,a all about it, when i see it i will give all kinda of unwanted :wtf: feedback :jam: :jam: :jam:

GregS 11-07-2005 11:33 AM

I'll give this album a.. 8/10

I thought this album as a whole was great but there are 2 songs i just cant get into... Them being Justify & You will soar..

But ye..good work.

titan9 11-07-2005 11:55 AM

Time for a real review from me:

1.Reach Out: The music on this track is rock solid. I think Goneblind did a fantastic job with the guitar work. Granted, the guitar work isn't as good as Tremonti's, but it is better than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio. Lyrically, the lyrics are pretty good. Vocally, Stapp sounds good for the most part. His voice does seem to sound not as good when he tries to go higher with it. I'd give this song a solid 8.5 of 10.

2.Fight Song: Like with the first track, the music is good. I don't care for some of the lyrics on this song, but for the most part those are good as well. Vocally, Stapp sounds better than on track 1. It's a good "harder" rock song and gets 8.5 of 10 from me.

3.Hard Way: Good music on this track. Lyrically, it is one of my favorite on the album. Vocally, like with the second track, Stapp sounds real good. This is probably my second(or third) favorite track on the CD. 9 out of 10.

4.Justify: The music is fairly simple on this one. You'd think that'd make it a so-so song, right? No way. The lyrics are AWESOME on this track, as are the vocals. I mean, I am blown away by how good this track is. It is obviously the strongest track on the album. Hats off to Stapp for making such an awesome, different kind of song. 10 of 10

5.Let Me Go: Weakest track on the album...by far. The lyrics are bad, imo, the vocals are better but the music is boring. This is definitely the track I'll be skipping when I listen to TGD. 5 out of 10.

6.Surround Me: A beautiful track that helps the CD to rebound from the previous bad track. Lyrically it is quite good, vocally it is pretty good and musically it is simple, yet beautiful. This is a song that I can see becoming a huge hit, if given a good amount of promotion. I would definitely use this song as Stapp's second or third single. 9.5 out of 10.

7.The Great Divide: What can you say about this track except to say it is a single. Singles for almost every artist/band are typically the weakest on the album. Not much of an exception here. The lyrics are decent, the vocals are good and the music is decent. It's better than a lot of stuff on pop and rock radio, but I've come to expect better stuff out of Stapp. 6.5 out of 10.

8.Sublime: The lyrics on this track are decent, the vocals and music are as well. However, because of the repetitive use of the word "sublime" throughout the track, the track itself is a bit boring. I'll probably skip this track on every other listen, because there is nothing too special about it. 6 out of 10.

9.You Will Soar: I know, a lot of people don't care for this track. But I love it. Nothing about the track is particularly special, but I just like the message behind it. The lyrics, vocals and music are all solid on this track. Much better than Don't Stop Dancing, which shares a similar message. 8 of 10.

10.Broken: I'll start off by saying that I typically hate the use of choir in a song. To me, unless done properly, it sounds very cheesy. However, the choir was used in the proper way for this beautiful song. Piano is also used, which is nice, because I feel that piano should be used more often by rock artists/bands. Listening to this song, because of the very good combination of vocals/choir/piano/guitar gives me chills. Lyrically it isn't amazing, but being someone who has gone through a lot, I can relate to it. I think the track was very well done, so it gets an 8.5 of 10.
Overall rating averaged out: 7 of 10
Overall: It's a good debut from Stapp. However, with the next CD I would like to see a few less ballads and a few more rock songs. If he can do that, and improve upon the lyrics, I see a very bright solo career for Stapp.

Dogstar 11-07-2005 12:54 PM

I give it 4/10. I like the first four songs just fine. The rest of it is boring, cliched and unoriginal. The last track has potential, but I don't know, none of the slow stuff grabbed me at all. I thought the best track was Justify.

Faceless_Man 11-08-2005 01:13 PM

10/10

Alot of you probably dont like it cuz you're too wrapped up in AB. The grass is greener over here.

Dogstar 11-08-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceless_Man
10/10

Alot of you probably dont like it cuz you're too wrapped up in AB. The grass is greener over here.

Not necessarily. If it was good, I would have liked it ;)

Bridge of Clay 11-08-2005 03:14 PM

let's switch the order here.

Quote:

10/10

Alot of you probably dont like AB cuz you're too wrapped up in Stapp. The grass is greener over here.

what would you say of that?

that's a very reasonable argument, I'd say... :rolleyes:

Faceless_Man 11-08-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
let's switch the order here.

what would you say of that?

that's a very reasonable argument, I'd say... :rolleyes:

I've got an even more reasonable argument. Why would one prefer the whiney vocals of MK over the deep tones of Scott Stapp, something characteristic only of Creed, the band that actually inspired these forums? You guys gave up on Stapp. Bottom line.

Steve 11-08-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

I've got an even more reasonable argument. Why would one prefer the whiney vocals of MK over the deep tones of Scott Stapp, something characteristic only of Creed, the band that actually inspired these forums? You guys gave up on Stapp. Bottom line.

I'm not debating the differences between Stapp and MK, but if I were to post a clip of a Creed bootleg from 1998 and one from 2002, Stapp doesn't have "deep tones" in his vocals. His voice cracks and it's very harsh. Stapp's voice has gone to hell since the end of the Human Clay tour, and it's well documented in all of the bootlegs that have been released. His voice on the album is all digitized and edited. I'd be very interested in seeing if he can pull off another tour, or if half way through he'll start getting throat problems again. That's the big difference with Stapp. Early in Creed' career, Stapp sounded perfect on the albums AND in concert. However at the end, he sounded like sh!t in concert. All his throat problems deteriorated his voice. I've been a Creed fan since day one, and I've consistantly said this same thing, even back on the Creednet BB. It's the facts and the bottom line.

metalanus 11-08-2005 05:37 PM

whats the language you cant say sh!t opps I said it too. Ive heard of several vocalists having throat problems if they dont have throat problems then they arent rocking hard enough. Or they can have hand problems like Dave Mustaine.

INDIGOSTEVE 11-08-2005 05:48 PM

I like Myles but his voice is similar to alot of other singers and live it sounded to me alot higher than on the cd? but I seem to like the tone of stapps voice better.

Creed7352 11-08-2005 06:05 PM

mark has tendonitis in his wrist too...at least he's developing it..he's been doing exercises to combat against it and he's been seeing a doctor. he's developing it cause he plays guitar for 5-6 hours a day everyday.

do you like led zeppelin, incubus, audioslave, soundgarden, guns n roses?

eusebioCBR 11-08-2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
I'm not debating the differences between Stapp and MK, but if I were to post a clip of a Creed bootleg from 1998 and one from 2002, Stapp doesn't have "deep tones" in his vocals. His voice cracks and it's very harsh. Stapp's voice has gone to hell since the end of the Human Clay tour, and it's well documented in all of the bootlegs that have been released. His voice on the album is all digitized and edited. I'd be very interested in seeing if he can pull off another tour, or if half way through he'll start getting throat problems again. That's the big difference with Stapp. Early in Creed' career, Stapp sounded perfect on the albums AND in concert. However at the end, he sounded like sh!t in concert. All his throat problems deteriorated his voice. I've been a Creed fan since day one, and I've consistantly said this same thing, even back on the Creednet BB. It's the facts and the bottom line.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

geletmote 11-08-2005 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creed7352
mark has tendonitis in his wrist too...at least he's developing it..he's been doing exercises to combat against it and he's been seeing a doctor. he's developing it cause he plays guitar for 5-6 hours a day everyday.

Wats tendonitis, were did u hear this..

peter g

Steve 11-08-2005 09:25 PM

Tendonitis is basically an inflamed tendon. See About.com or WebMD.com for more detailed info. You can get tendonitis from repeated, overuse of a tendon/muscle.

Faceless_Man 11-08-2005 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creed7352

Yes I do like most of those bands and their singers' sounds, BUT, MK sounds nothing like those. He sounds like he WANTS to sound like them, but he doesnt pull it off. His voice doesnt fit with the former Creed members' sound IMO.

Rocketqueen 11-09-2005 12:56 AM

Quote:

Tendonitis is basically an inflamed tendon. See About.com or WebMD.com for more detailed info. You can get tendonitis from repeated, overuse of a tendon/muscle.

i have it as well in my left arm its a bitch but to far from your heart to kill ya thanks for the link all though im not one of those types who reads pamplets about their probleams they are really overated... they would make you sound like ya had something wrong with if ya did,nt i find that rubbing whisky on my arm shoulders helps i rate the album i agree with Face I give It A 10 10 All The Way KICKS ASS :jam: :jam: :jam:

Bridge of Clay 11-09-2005 06:51 AM

Quote:

aham... now that's an argument. I wouldn't say it's more reasonable than the other coz the previous one wasn't an argument at all...

now it's fine. but just coz you like barithones better it doesn't mean everybody else has to share your opinion. I like barithones better as well, but as Steve said, it's clear (and sad) to hear how much Stapp's voice has deteriorated over the years. You can still notice it in Reach Out, for example.

Stapp never took care of his voice, he never practiced or learned how to sing properly. He used to compensate this with passion but now it's reaching a point that it's not enough anymore. He spent too much time being the jock wanna be, watching tv on the dressing room instead of rehearsing and doing soundchecks when they could write more songs. It led to all of this... imho.

But I do think if he works hard with the right people, he can improve his voice again.

cariocawlad 11-09-2005 07:32 AM

Yes, I agree with Marcos and Steve...the man's voice is some cracked now. He really sounds very nasal and it's hard for him to hit high notes.

Backing to the source of this thread, my opinion is that TGD is a good album but Stapp can do better. The vocals sounds good only in the slower tracks and the lyrics don't help too much (there are 3 songs that start with "my friend"). Let Me Go and You Will Soar are the wickest songs in my opinion. And come on, he spent all this time to produce his album and give us only 10 songs.

I'm a Stapp fan and I'm a little disapointed with TGD. I hope he can do better on the tour and with the next album. He really need the right people by his side. Anyway, Goneblind did a good job with the music.

I rate it 7.5 of 10.

Peace

InMyOwnMisery 11-09-2005 11:37 AM

Stapp's voice sounds just as great as it always has! As for "Reach Out", the rawness of his voice is OBVIOUSLY what he was going for in that song. To hear some of you say that he missed a few notes is absurd. The man is a veteran by now in studio recording and if he did miss any notes or his voice cracked too much then he would have been the first person to notice it. He could have easily fixed any mistakes in editing. It's not like he had "one chance" to record it. That fact that he put out "Reach Out" as is, only proves he got what he was going for which was the vocally raw and raspy Kick-A$$ rock song that it is. Perhaps everyone has listened to the "sweet and tender" voice of Myles Kennedy too much. Come back to Stapp,...as FacelessMan stated earlier,.....the grass is DEFINITELY greener on this side.

Bridge of Clay 11-09-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InMyOwnMisery
Stapp's voice sounds just as great as it always has! As for "Reach Out", the rawness of his voice is OBVIOUSLY what he was going for in that song. To hear some of you say that he missed a few notes is absurd. The man is a veteran by now in studio recording and if he did miss any notes or his voice cracked too much then he would have been the first person to notice it. He could have easily fixed any mistakes in editing. It's not like he had "one chance" to record it. That fact that he put out "Reach Out" as is, only proves he got what he was going for which was the vocally raw and raspy Kick-A$$ rock song that it is. Perhaps everyone has listened to the "sweet and tender" voice of Myles Kennedy too much. Come back to Stapp,...as FacelessMan stated earlier,.....the grass is DEFINITELY greener on this side.

Sure... I'll do that after Santa Claus and Easter Bunny have dinner with me for Thanksgiving...

cariocawlad 11-09-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

Hey man, take a listen on MOP, HC and W and you will see...now he is sounding very nasal. He must take some sing lessons. It would be good for him and this is not all bad. Madonna take it when she put Ray of Light nad she starts to sing a lot better.
When age comes singers must take care with their voices. Look to Chris Cornell: stop to smoking and drinking alcool. Now he sounds a lot better.

Peace.

Bridge of Clay 11-09-2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

I think all of this was pretty sarcastic and the lack of a smiley made me think otherwise...

InMyOwnMisery 11-09-2005 02:13 PM

"I love Alterbridge.....errr, I mean Falterbridge!"

Dogstar 11-09-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Word.

RoffeDH 11-09-2005 02:28 PM

YES! The grass is greener on the other side... That's our side with MK ! ;)

MK is a much better singer both tecnicaly and vocaly. His voice is awsome and I bet it can be raw if he'd like to.

As for the album it's a near 3/10 no more no less! Can't belive you actualy rated it higher then 5/10! It sucks! I won't buy it. There's 3 songs I like Surround me, Sublime and You will soar. The other tracks suck! The harder tracks i don't like... Nope! 3/10 for me! That's it!