CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Annie's Story (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=8356)

whitebird 01-06-2005 01:21 PM

Annie's Story

I met Annie at a Christmas party, as I entered the party, she came thru the crowd to greet me. She looked unusual, and I wondered where she had come from. She was very thin, bones sticking out at odd angles, and a dullness to the exterior, but with such a brightness of spirit, she almost shined. Her belly hung low, in sharp contrast with her frame, and I knew she was pregnant.

Annie is a dog.

She was rescued from a ditch, where she lay keeping watch over her companion, who had been struck a car. It was not even known that she was there, until a couple of kind souls saw the choc. lab that she was with, and stopped to help. As they attempted to rescue the stricken dog, Annie raised her head from the weeds, and a much bigger rescue mission was set into motion.

The male choc. lab was taken into an emergency vet, where staff fell in love with him, and out of great kindness of heart, repaired his badly damaged body, and took him to their home.

Annie was brought into a loving home, where they fed and cared for her, trying to fatten her up to insure the health of her unborn puppies. I met Annie when she had been at this loving home for 1 week. She was able to hold out for 3 weeks, before giving birth to 12 beautiful puppies. A rainbow litter of labradors, black, choc. and yellow.

Wonderful homes are being found for all of the puppies, and Annie will remain in their loving home forever. In this rescue, 14 dogs were saved.

There is kindness in the spirits of people all over the world, but sometimes we forget to tell the little stories, that mean so much.

Bridge of Clay 01-06-2005 02:08 PM

wow!!!

thanks for posting it!

hayley 01-06-2005 03:28 PM

Oh my gosh that's so sad! But what a lovely story, thanks for posting that :)

Higher_Desire 01-06-2005 06:05 PM

That's such a sweet story. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again... it's so great the world still has such great caring people like you.

H-D :pimp:

whitebird 01-06-2005 09:38 PM

I love happy endings, I'm glad that you all enjoyed it. Higher-Desire, thanks for your very kind words, but I'm only the story teller here. I played no part in the rescue.

One of my favorite pieces of this though, is that these people who rescued the lost dogs, took such great time and effort, expected nothing in return, and performed this kindness on a country road where no one would see their act.

It seems so often these days people only help if they think others will see, and give them recognition. Selfless acts, are so very special, I just had to share this story with you.

I cry watching dog movies, where the dog saves the child too. I'm such a softie.

CollectiveSoul 01-06-2005 11:43 PM

whitebird I must say I love your posts

whitebird 01-07-2005 05:45 AM

CollectiveSoul, thanks!

I am hoping to go see the puppies this weekend. Heaven to me is being surrounded by a dozen wiggling puppies with wet noses, and puppy breath.

aussiecreeder 01-07-2005 06:28 PM

Good to hear a good news story for a change after recent events, even if the grand scheme of things its a small deal. :)

Xterminator27 01-07-2005 07:07 PM

You know in some countrys they eat dogs

aussiecreeder 01-07-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King X
You know in some countrys they eat dogs

Isn't that what is in a hot dog? ;)

Xterminator27 01-07-2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
Isn't that what is in a hot dog? ;)

Youd be suprised on how close you actually are :D

whitebird 01-07-2005 08:35 PM

I'm so excited!!! I do get to see the puppies this weekend!!!

They are now 4 weeks old, and all 12 puppies have loving homes waiting for them. Family, friends and friends of friends are adopting each and every one.

The second person that helped in the rescue that day, was given pick of the litter. He chose the tiny little runt, a little female. She is being named Highway, in memory of her rescue before birth.

I'll keep you posted.

aussiecreeder 01-08-2005 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King X
Youd be suprised on how close you actually are :D

what? i don't want to hear it....ignorance is bliss lol.

Scotts Angel 01-08-2005 11:25 PM

What a sweet, and touching story! I thank god for watching out for those dogs/puppies. I too have a rescued dog! He was found running free at a farm, but the owners neglected to feed him most of the time, or provide a warm shelter. He was only about 12 weeks old when we adopted him as ours. He is part Lab, and part terrior. He had this huge head, and tiny bone bulging body. We put him on special food, and vitamins, along with alot of vet care, and shots. He had a problem with his joints though. Sometimes when he would run, or even walk, his hind end would give out and he would fall. We thought we might have to have surgery on his legs to TRY and help him, and if that didn't work, then he would have to be put down. First we tried some other medications, vitamins, therapy, and prayers. I must say he is doing well, and running around like crazy, thus fits his name of: SPUNKY!! He is now 10 YEARS OLD!! He is the best dog!!!!!!
I have also rescued a Cat in December 2003! I found her almost frozen to death on the side of the road. She was only 5 months old. $1,500 later, she is a sweet cat that my 12 year old daughter has adopted, and named Oreo, (she is black and white).
It just FEELS GOOD to be able to HELP out these awesome creatures, and has PROVIDED OUR FAMILY with YEARS OF LOVE, and JOY!! :)

whitebird 01-09-2005 10:35 AM

Scotts Angel, what wonderful stories!!! I just love people like you. I know it isn't always easy taking in a stray, nursing them back to health, and trying to retrain them with love, to get them to forget past abuse. But, like the animals that you have, they become some of the best pets that a person could have.

My little dog Molly had been starved and abused before we adopted her, she is now 13 years, and such a sweet baby. She has given me so much love, yet I know that she still remembers the past abuse at times.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I'm so glad there are people like you, to look out for lives that may otherwise be lost to neglect and cruelty.

whitebird 01-09-2005 06:41 PM

I just got back from seeing the puppies, oh my gosh, they almost had to frisk me when I walked out the door. They were so cute, I could hardly stand it!!!

We took pictures and had them developed right away, but I'm never letting my husband take pictures again. He either stuck his finger in the top of the picture, or he cut my head off. Oh well, I guess it isn't about me, just the puppies.

As I said before, they are only 4 weeks old, but all have homes waiting to adopt them. There is even a waiting list of families, in case someone isn't able to adopt at the last minute.

They were really cute tucked into a basket that I brought.

Dogstar 01-09-2005 06:51 PM

Awww, what a great story, whitebird! I'm glad all are safe and sound and going to great homes. I wish I could have a dog, but I don't have a yard and it just wouldn't be fair to the dog. However, I just got two new kittens, whose mother was found wandering around in our parking garage at work. A colleague took her home and then to the vet, who told her the cat was pregnant. My cat of 16 years had died in March and when this woman told me about the cat, whom she named Jade, I was like, I'll take two if you have enough. Well, they were born in October and I got them a week ago. They are beautiful. Theo is black with a little white face and belly and paws, and Rose is gray with white paws and a white belly. They are loving their new digs :D.

whitebird 01-11-2005 05:52 AM

Kerri, I'm so excited for you!! I remember when you lost your dear little friend, wasn't her name Darryl? I was hoping that you would be able to accept another into your life. Now you have two new babies, that is really great!

Rescue babies, being adopted together, what a great story. I wish I could send you a baby gift.

Dogstar 01-12-2005 01:36 AM

Awwww, thank you, whitebird. That's amazing that you remembered Darryl. It took me awhile to get over losing her, but I finally did and felt that the time was right for some new babies, especially given the situation. The neatest thing is that they have started playing with some of Darryl's toys, which I had left on a bookshelf as a little memorial. They are alive again and I feel as if Darryl is watching over my two new kitties and having a go with them. :). And it's funny. One of them is a big-time lap cat, which Darryl was. You never know how their personalities will be and I'm so grateful that one of them likes to be close to me. The other one is coming around, but Theo is definitely a lap cat. It's as if Darryl knew just what I needed. :D

whitebird 01-12-2005 05:48 AM

It seems that when the time is right, these little stray babies come into our lives, as though they have been sent. Perhaps you are right, and Darryl is looking after you.

I believe my dog Mika, who died several years ago, looks after me too.

Good luck with your babies Kerri, and I would love to hear how they are doing, from time to time. Keep this going, and you can tell me stories.

Dogstar 01-12-2005 11:36 AM

Thanks, whitebird, and I will keep you updated.

whitebird 01-12-2005 03:00 PM

I was reading Annie's story to a group of children, when my eyes misted, over the beauty of the rescue, and I noticed that the children were misting up too. Children aren't afraid to show what they feel, they are true to their hearts.

I know that some people believe tears are a sign of weakness, but I believe happy tears are joy and love, leaking out of the windows of your soul.