CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tool - 10,000 Days (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=10881)

LeftOfTheMurder 04-20-2006 11:34 PM

Tool - 10,000 Days

Well, it leaked. I'm gonna leave you all with three words to sum up my initial reaction, as I'm about to re-listen to the album for a second time:

oh my god.

"Wings for Marie"(Part 1)/"10,000 Days" (Wings Part 2)....amazing. Apparently, this is Maynard's tribute to his mother. I read somewhere that she spend a lot of her life in a wheel chair until she died. Don't quote me on that, but I also heard that 10,000 days has something to do with her age.

Either way, this album has been well worth waiting the last five years. Trust me.

LeftOfTheMurder 04-20-2006 11:42 PM

Re: Tool - 10,000 Days

Here's a little snippet from wikipedia:

"Marie" is the middle name of Maynard James Keenan's deceased mother, Judith Marie Keenan. As Keenan explains on commentary on aMOTION, his mother suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound. The length of time between her paralysis and her death was 27 years, or approximately 10,000 days.

Dogstar 04-20-2006 11:50 PM

I was a tad underwhelmed with this album. I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. It has some great moments. I really like Intension and Right In Two and Wings/10KD, and Jambi is decent. I wasn't thrilled with the single because it sounded like a Lateralus-era song. I LOVE Lateralus. It's the album that got me into Tool, but I've noticed that each Tool album had familiar yet new elements that made me go, wow. This album did not. Maybe five years was too long to wait, I don't know.

It could be the quality of the leak. My biggest complaint about it is the vocal mix, which seems painfully low. I know Adam Jones mentioned in the Guitar World interview that the vocals on many songs would be more in the background, intentionally. I'm not happy with that change, I guess. I love Maynard's voice, the way he conveys emotion, but the dang vocals are so low, I have to turn it up really loud, which makes the guitar parts WAY too loud. It's almost as if this is Adam's time to shine or something. The drumming also didn't do much for me and that's saying a lot because I love Danny's drumming. It was such a force on previous albums and I just don't feel it the way I did on Lateralus, for example, or Aenima. Songs like Eulogy and 46&2.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents :D

metalchris25 04-21-2006 12:17 AM

I still cannot believe I wasted my time listening to these guys...again. Besides Maynards voice, there is nothing there but synth and same ol' same lame ol'.

Muad'Dib 04-21-2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalchris25
I still cannot believe I wasted my time listening to these guys...again. Besides Maynards voice, there is nothing there but synth and same ol' same lame ol'.

So having one of the best drummers of the modern era does nothing for you?

metalchris25 04-21-2006 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
So having one of the best drummers of the modern era does nothing for you?

I guess I gotta give em that. no question

LeftOfTheMurder 04-22-2006 02:36 PM

Ok, let's all just rip on Tool. Forgive me for starting this topic, I thought a few people might actually be happy that Tool released its first new material in 5 years. Nevermind...

Dogstar 04-22-2006 04:14 PM

Look, not everybody's going to have the same opinions. And we're not ripping on Tool. I can't help it if I'm a tad let down. As I said, it has its moments. Overall, though, the jury is still out. I have to give it a few more listens to really make a fair assessment. Plus, it's a leak, and I'm hoping the quality is just crappy and that the actual CD will sound a lot better.

GregS 04-26-2006 04:01 PM

Im listening to a song off the new album called " The Pot " its very very good!

Dogstar 04-27-2006 12:10 PM

The vocals in the beginning are so weird, though, aren't they? Hehe. That song is growing on me, though. The lyrics crack me up.

GregS 04-27-2006 07:18 PM

Yeah vocals are weird at beginning but it grows into an amazing song.

aussiecreeder 04-27-2006 07:24 PM

The vocals at the beginning.....that isn't Justin Timberlake by any chance? :laugh: The rest of the song rocks....."You pissed on my black kettle"......ie: the pot calling the kettle black.

Dogstar 04-27-2006 11:01 PM

Yeah, I'm actually getting used to the vocals. It just sounded sooo...high...but then again, I guess that fits with the tenor of the song, lol.

RMadd 04-28-2006 04:15 PM

golly... i tried to dl the album from my source, and most of the songs of the same title are diff. lengths & diff. songs altogether!

which leads me to wonder, when stuff like that appears before an album is released, are those misnamed tracks songs that didn't make the cut, or what?

metalchris25 04-28-2006 05:36 PM

I have been listening to it a little more and I have to admit I am beginning to enjoy it. Alot.

Cant believe it.

Lechium 05-02-2006 04:40 PM

Well Tool's not able to match AEnima yet again... oh well still a very decent album.
It's funny how obviously they are infuelcned my Meshuggah at some parts, however.

Dogstar 05-03-2006 01:55 PM

Adam Jones said in the Guitar World interview that he listened to Meshuggah a lot during the writing process. The album is growing on me. I got the official copy yesterday :)...And welcome back, Lechium :D

Muad'Dib 05-04-2006 02:09 AM

Ohh, what are they going to do when the lights go down
Without you to guide them all to Zion?
What are they going to do when the rivers overrun
Other than tremble incessantly?

High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground.
You are the light and the way, they'll only read about.
I only pray, God knows when to lift you out.
Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home.

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!
Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now! My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings."

Amazing part, highlight of the album. It has grown on me so much.

Dogstar 05-04-2006 01:28 PM

I have to agree. That song is so emotional.

Lechium 05-04-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Adam Jones said in the Guitar World interview that he listened to Meshuggah a lot during the writing process. The album is growing on me. I got the official copy yesterday :)...And welcome back, Lechium :D

That makes sence. Jambi is straight up Meshuggah song with volume turned down, and bass turned up.
Their song structures are becoming very Opeth'ish too... I wonder if Tool should be refered to as a Sweedish band now, since, really, that's what they're trying to be lol
I'm still contumplating if this album is worth my money, however. Need to buy some more Melt Banana first lol

Dogstar 05-04-2006 01:56 PM

Yes, I've only heard one Meshuggah CD, but I did notice the prominence of the bass on this disc. Also, I'm not sure I see the Opeth structure as much, as there is far more loud/soft/loud/soft in Opeth, with all of the growling death-metalish stuff. Opeth's music sounds fuller and more orchestral than Tool's as well. I did catch a few harmonies that reminded me a bit of Opeth, though.

Lechium 05-05-2006 03:54 AM

I was talking about Opeth's song structure, espcially songs from their older CD's, like Morningrise (if you dont have Morningrise -- buy it, their best CD, just ahead of My Arms, Your Hearce IMO). The structures are somewhat similar.

Slower songs are pure Tool thou. The song about Monkeys is pure genious I tell ya.

Dogstar 05-05-2006 04:29 AM

Yep, that's my favorite one, actually. Right In Two., it's called. For Opeth, I have Blackwater Park (I just got this one), Ghost Reveries, Damnation and Deliverance.

Lechium 05-05-2006 01:18 PM

Ah. Good stuff. "Bleak" is probably their best heavy song, and "Harvest" is the same for mellow ones. Morningrise, MYAH and Still Life are IMO their best 3CD's however, so I strongly suggest getting these. Their new stuff is very good, but they dont even come close to those three albums -- later albums have better standout tracks (Deliverance would alone make CD worth a buy after all), but older ones have more consistency IMO

Dogstar 05-05-2006 04:39 PM

Yes, all of those are on my list. I will get them eventually. Got to save up :D

Lechium 05-05-2006 04:53 PM

Hah, ther're worth the wait.
As negative as I am, i cant say anything bad about older Opeth CDs.

Dogstar 05-05-2006 08:03 PM

LOL :D. I do love Damnation for a change of pace, without the growling. I didn't like the growling at first, but now I'm kind of used to it. I really like their music, though.

Lechium 05-05-2006 08:13 PM

Yeah growling grew on me over time. Used to hate it, but now I miss it, when Ghost Reveries have very little of it. Oh well lol Musically they are amazing I agree.
Katatonia is somewhat close (Opeth's singer used to sing there when they didnt have singer actuallu), but their recent stuff sounds like 1/2 metal 1/2 Cure, which is too whiny for me lol

P.S. check out Fantomas, if you're looking for original/crazy band with singer who's utterly insane (the band has Faith No More's singer, Slayer's drummer, etc). Stay away from Delirium Cordata CD thou.

Dogstar 05-05-2006 08:58 PM

Yeah, isn't it Mike Patton who's with Fantomas? I've heard others recommend them as well. I'll add them to my list ;)

Lechium 05-05-2006 10:26 PM

Yeah its one of countless Patton's projects. Suspended Animation is their best CD IMO, and its packaging is too good. Peeping Tom is Pattons recent 'pop' project. I like it, but I dont see how the hell it is pop. Maybe a bit Gorillaz-like... i have more about it on my las.fm page.

Dogstar 05-19-2006 01:55 AM

I'm no longer a live Tool virgin, hell yeah! I finally got to see them in the flesh, on May 17 at the Tower Theater just outside Philadelphia, PA.

Let me just say that the Tower Theater is awesome for shows. It was the second time I got to go there. Great sound, and it seats about 3,000 people. We were in the orchestra section, about 20 rows back from the stage, right-center. I had a near perfect view of Danny Carey all fricken night, hell yeah!! .

They opened with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Adam and Justin were the first to appear on stage (Adam on the left and Justin on the right) and the crowd went fricken apeshit. I have to hand it to Philly crowds. They are LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. Of course, I did my part .

The visuals were pretty cool for this song. All this purple trippy shit playing on the screens like skins on Windows Media Player or something. Danny was next to appear on stage, and just when I thought it couldn't get any louder, it did. He got mad, mad applause. Right before Lost Keys was done, Maynard comes out, silhouetted and all, kind of sauntering. He had on a cowboy hat, sunglasses, tight-ass low-rise jeans with a massive belt buckle and cowboy boots...and NO shirt. The man is looking good. He had to have been working out because he looked friggin awesome. Ripped and lean and hot...Ok, I'll stop now, but MAN, OH MAN, did he look maaaaaaaahvelous.

I was really curious about what Rosetta Stoned would sound like live, and man, they delivered. Maynard did all that fast talking at the beginning like a pro, complete with vocal effects. It was really cool. When they got to the part where it goes, I forgot my peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, shit the bed agaaaaaaaaaaaaaain...everyone was singing this at the top of their lungs, faces upward and arms in the air. It was pretty cool. After it was over, Maynard kind of just stood front and center and said, Philly...just like I remember it...And of course, the crowd went wild cheering and screaming.

I don't remember the order of the songs, but they had a few twists on some old favorites. They did Stinkfist with this really cool jam in the middle and the video for that song playing on the screens. Schism also had this incredibly speedy jam in it during which Danny went nuts on the kit. That man is amazing. He makes it look so easy. He was just incredible. Justin was a madman, too. He is a serious head-banger. His hair is really long now, too, and it was flying all over the stage.

They did Jambi, which kicked the studio version's ass. This song rocks hard. Adam's talk box solo was bad-ass. He has to be the most mellow guitar player I've ever seen live. He didn't move a lot, but he was in the zone and he was dead-on for every song.

They also did 46 & 2, which has one of my favorite drum performances ever. I was so happy. It was amazing. I was fixated on Danny for this. I just couldn't take my eyes off him. The drums on that song are just ridiculous. He didn't even break a sweat. The man is a god. And jeebus, his arms are bulging masses of muscle!!

They also did Sober (with the video playing), which people went nuts over. Philly likes its radio hits :D. Some people have bitched about the set list, but my being a first-timer, I was just so damn stoked to FINALLY hear all these songs live. Every muscle in my body rocked hard to all of the songs. It's a wonder I can move my neck and arms today, hehe.

About half way through the show, Maynard apologized for his voice, saying he was sick. He thanked us very, very much for coming out and hoped that he wasn't terrible because he was sick. He said something like, well, we have a couple of options. I could stay home and not tour, but we can't not come to Philly. This, of course, got the crowd riled up even more. I'll tell you, he sounded friggin great for being sick. He pretty much hit everything. The only thing I noticed was that he wasn't as animated and mobile on stage, which I guess could be attributed to his illness. He didn't say much, either. Still, he moves those hips like nobody's business. It's as if he becomes one with the song, or it's as if the music is coarsing through his veins and his body just follows the rhythm. I'm not sure I'm articulating it well, but let's just say it makes me nuts for him, lol!

The highlight of the night for me was Right in Two, as this is my favorite song off the new album. That song just kicks my ass nine ways to Sunday. It gives me chills and it was just incredible live, especially the second half of the song when it really rocks out. Adam, Justin and Danny were insane on this song. It filled the theater, the sound was so all-encompassing. I had to keep reminding myself to open my eyes and absorb all the visuals because they were pretty cool, too. I was just grooving big-time to this song.

At one point, I can't remember when it happened, but they all sat down on the stage while the crowd went nuts. It was an encore call and all, but they stayed out for it, just sitting there (Maynard did leave the stage, probably to rest up for a few before the encore) and the crowd just kept getting louder and louder. Adam had this huge grin on his face and he pumped his fist a couple of times, which further incited the masses. Danny clapped and waved a lot and this went on for a couple of minutes until Maynard came back. They did Vicarious, which sounds way better live than on the record, and Lateralus, another of my favorites. By this time, I was pretty much out of my mind. I try not to sing in people's ears when I'm at a show, but I could not help myself on Lateralus. It was so intense, especially the spiral-out-keep-going part. I was screaming this at the top of my lungs.

I believe then ended with Aenema, which was just fricken awesome. Everybody was singing along by this time and the crowd was in a frenzy at this point. What a cool vibe! After they were done, Maynard threw water bottles into the crowd and Danny threw sticks and a drum face or whatever it's called. It hit the fricken balcony and bounced two rows behind us. They shined a light on the guy who caught it and Danny and Adam were laughing when they saw how far it had gone. I think they were impressed :D.

I had no words for it after it was over. We just sat there, kind of dumbfounded and just in holy-shit-that-was-fucking-amazing-I'm-speechless mode for a good five minutes. Since I was driving, I didn't get to drink anything, but I more than made up for it when we got home. We rehashed all the details and gems and cool moments until about 4:30 a.m. Maynard has said at shows that we should use our concert experience as inspiration for creative endeavors. Well, I was inspired to bake some friggin cookies, haha. So, we ate a shitload of chocolate chip cookies and drank a ton of beer just reveling in the afterglow. God, I love live music! What a great night!!!!

Oh, and no less cool was my friends' incredibly generous gesture. They bought me the tour poster (Alex Gray album art) for my having them as guests!! I was floored. I was all ready to fork out the dough for the poster (it's huge) and a shirt, and they beat me to buying the poster. They are the best! I'm getting it framed and it's going to go right above my couch in the living room. It's going to look great.

Tool more than lived up to the hype and I can't WAIT for the late-summer/fall tour. Maynard said they'd be back in late summer. I am so there.

Today, all I could think about was the show and I listened to Tool all day and all night at work. This concert buzz is going to last quite a while, I think.

THANK YOU, TOOL, for one of THE best concert experiences of my life.

And jango, if you're still dropping in every now and again, THANK YOU for introducing me to Tool. :hugs:

Muad'Dib 05-19-2006 02:57 AM

oh my ;) sounds fucking amazing!! :D:D i cant wait til they come to australia, about 10 of us are flying over to see them, so hyped. Amazing experience, glad you enjoyed it!

Dogstar 05-19-2006 10:36 AM

Oh, that's awesome, Muad'Dib. You will have a great time, for sure!!! I'm STILL buzzing. The songs keep replaying in my head.

Dogstar 04-14-2007 04:05 PM

Some new tour dates :)

June 5 - Greenville, SC @ Bi-Lo Center
June 7 - Richmond, VA @ Richmond Coliseum
June 8 - Baltimore, MD @ 1st Mariner Arena
June 9 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Boardwalk Hotel
June 13 - Winston-Salem, NC @Joel Lawrence Coliseum
June 15 - Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Festival
June 17 - Little Rock, AR @ Alltell Arena
June 19 - Cedar Rapids, IA @ US Cellular Center
June 20 - Peoria, IL @ Peoria Civic Center
June 22 - St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Arena
June 26 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Center
June 27 - Chicago, IL @ Sears Center
June 29 - Cincinnati, OH @ US Bank Arena
July 1 - Detroit, MI @ Pine Knob Amphitheatre
July 3 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Van Andel Arena

I will be at the Bonnaroo one. I wish I could go to AC, too, but I'll be visiting my family that weekend.