CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question for guitarists. (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=11193)

GregS 08-04-2006 03:51 PM

Question for guitarists.

What gauge of strings do you use and whats best for a more metalish tone ?
For the past couple of months i've been using D'addario XL Super light gauge and fancy a change. Should i go for heavy ?

metalchris25 08-05-2006 02:19 PM

Re: Question for guitarists.

For the acoustic I usually stick with DR lights.

For electric I like the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's.

String size makes little difference in the overall sound you want. I can make a pair o slinky's sound like anything else. Thats why they say that real guitarists have Balls.

GregS 08-07-2006 08:15 PM

Today bought D'addario XL Light jazz.
The dude in the store said they were pretty good strings , they suck and are like super super heavy gauge! Getting new ones tommorrow because i cant play with these..

metalchris25 08-07-2006 09:18 PM

D'addario makes quality strings, but super heavy strings can be very cumbersome, but at the same time, they will make you a better player cause they will build your fingers up and give you better callouses and when you switch back to lighter strings, you'll be amazed at how much faster and easier you can play.

GregS 08-08-2006 10:46 AM

So you think i should stick with these for a while ?

metalchris25 08-08-2006 11:04 AM

Well, I would. I mean, you've already paid for them, so why not? I would at least try to stick with them for a day or so, and if you still want, then trash em.
One thing about heavy strings: Are they sounding ok? cause a lot of guitars need adjustments to use them properly.

GregS 08-08-2006 11:08 AM

Their sounding great , i jus have problems trying to solo as quickly as i do with super lights.

metalchris25 08-08-2006 11:48 AM

I know what u mean. They can be over bearing. If they are that bad, ditch em.

GregS 08-08-2006 05:09 PM

Right well i've been playing alot of guitar with my friend today and we have both got used to the strings so im gonna keep them for a while.

metalchris25 08-09-2006 02:50 AM

Right on.

bilal 08-11-2006 09:00 PM

this is a good thread......quite motivational too .....atleast after reading it ....i finally decided to get some strings to replace the broken ones......and so i got D'addario XL Super light gauge....and congratulations ladies and gentlemen...i screwed em ...well..almost...while changing em....but all done in the end

GregS 08-12-2006 05:58 PM

Haha , im gonna go bak to the super lights maybe.. september or sumthing..
See if these strings have done anything.

metalchris25 08-12-2006 07:11 PM

I like to switch up to a heavier guage every once in a while. It really does help my fingers. Sometimes I will borrow my girls bass and play it for a few days and then go back to my regular guitar, and I can feel the extra strength in my fingers.

bilal 08-12-2006 07:36 PM

^hmm.... thats a good techinique......

GregS 08-12-2006 09:43 PM

Heres a quick question.

What stroking pattern is best used for one day remains ?
Like up or down strokes for the fast riffs , or both ?
I've been playing it for a while doing down strokes and i wanna improve my speed even more so what you guys suggest ?