CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Music & Critics (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6568)

Trees of Wisdom 05-12-2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yeah, God forbid anybody express his or her views, leftist or otherwise, through music (insert tree-hugging sarcasm here). We should all be of one right-wing mind, right? Suppress all those who don't share your opinion. :rolleyes: Why must you always insult people who don't share your views?
And RAGE was awesome.

Being liberal is bad as it is, but having it it degrade the quality of your music?

Chris Cornell is very much liberal, but at least he isn't a loser by writing leftist lyrics because he knows he's better than that. Scott Stapp is conservative; I don't see him writing any perticular political lyrics.

My point is: don't have your political status interfere with your songwriting because it very much degrades the music.

Dogstar 05-12-2004 10:55 PM

OMG, I can't even dignify that with a response.

Trees of Wisdom 05-12-2004 10:59 PM

If you read the lyrics of any leftist lyricist, they're always negative and whiny. It's basically supporting more anti-American activity. That's something we need less of.

Dogstar 05-12-2004 11:02 PM

You REALLY have a lot to learn...Anyway, so it's better to be completely self-absorbed and whiny? *rollseyes*

RMadd 05-12-2004 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Yeah, God forbid anybody express his or her views, leftist or otherwise, through music (insert tree-hugging sarcasm here). We should all be of one right-wing mind, right? Suppress all those who don't share your opinion. :rolleyes: Why must you always insult people who don't share your views?
And RAGE was awesome.

no, i'm saying i don't like it when ANYONE is political in their music. it just doesn't jive with ME. that's MY opinion, just as YOU are entitled to YOUR own, and I don't think EITHER ONE of us is going to change the OTHER'S views here, so........ yeah
it just so happens that, as Trees said so eloquently, Zack is a leftist pussy, so I felt that was worth mentioning
but i guess that's just me coming from a generation when most people talk about politics in other forms than writing lovey-dovey songs that have no meaning anyway b/c people interpret them incorrectly (Bruce Springsteen comes to mind: do you think he ever would've wanted his songs, such as Born in the USA or Born to Run, among others, to become such patriotic, American-type anthems? i doubt it... hell, he's a hero to the state of New Jersey, and Born to Run, if I'm not mistaken, is about him wanting to get the fuck out of that state... the point being, if people would actually listen to the lyrics other than "Born in the USA," they'd understand what he was really saying)

aussiecreeder 05-13-2004 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trees of Wisdom
Being liberal is bad as it is, but having it it degrade the quality of your music?

Chris Cornell is very much liberal, but at least he isn't a loser by writing leftist lyrics because he knows he's better than that. Scott Stapp is conservative; I don't see him writing any perticular political lyrics.

My point is: don't have your political status interfere with your songwriting because it very much degrades the music.

You've got to be kidding right? i am not tree-hugging hippie (lol j/k) but i enjoy the music of many left leaning lyrcrists such as one Eddie Vedder which if I remember correctly whom you are a fan. Listened to "Bushleaguer" lately? Even other Riot Act songs such as "Green Disease" and they are only from the last album. Music is obviously entertainment but it should and can be educational and if it raises awareness about certain issues then yay!

I respect Cornell's stance in not writing overtly political lyrics, but I can respect those who wear their political convictions on their sleeves and try to change society.

shunammite 05-13-2004 01:51 PM

I think the animosity toward Creed was pretty much always directed toward Stapp...and I'll bet the critics will be kind to the new band.

But again, it is the fans that make the real decisions...

But fans can be mighty sheeplike.

RMadd 05-13-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
and try to change society.

albeit unsuccessfully when there's only about 4 bands that do it.... it worked in the '60s and '70s b/c that was, ironically enough, mainstream back then

aussiecreeder 05-13-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearFan
albeit unsuccessfully when there's only about 4 bands that do it.... it worked in the '60s and '70s b/c that was, ironically enough, mainstream back then

in the mainstream there are not that many bands but bodies like clear channel and mtv don't allow this stuff to get out there. even the dixie chicks were made to be outsiders for a while after that who cares comment. in the punk and indie world there are a plethora of bands with a political voice. some top aussie acts along the way such as midnight oil and now to a lesser extent the john butler trio and xavier rudd.

there is so much to sing out about now, at least as much as during the vietnam war. stuff like midnight oil isn't really my thing but nothing wrong with a bit of a political speech during a concert.

jango 05-13-2004 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearFan

Radiohead, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, Rage/Audioslave, Pixies... there's 5 in about 2 seconds... its mainstream today with those that are educated.

aussiecreeder 05-13-2004 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango
Radiohead, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, Rage/Audioslave, Pixies... there's 5 in about 2 seconds... its mainstream today with those that are educated.

LOL game over!

so where are the right-wing activist bands? do they exist?

Trees of Wisdom 05-14-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
LOL game over!

so where are the right-wing activist bands? do they exist?

Yes, it's called Wind-Up Records.

Trees of Wisdom 05-14-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango

Pearl Jam until now are liberal influenced and that's because they suck now.

Audioslave are liberal, but they don't have liberal lyrics.

Rage Against the Machine is no more.

Last I remembered, Radiohead isn't famous or popular. They're as good as independent. Losers!

Who the fuck are the Pixies? Queer name if you ask me.

Coldplay suck.

Bridge of Clay 05-14-2004 06:38 PM

how the hell is WU right-wing?

I never cared for Ratm anyway...

Trees of Wisdom 05-14-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
how the hell is WU right-wing?

I never cared for Ratm anyway...

How the hell isn't Wind-Up right-wing?

Really though, think carefully and it's pretty obvious.