CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Clapton Release: Me and Mr. Johnson (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6146)

SmilinSkullRing 03-23-2004 01:50 AM

New Clapton Release: Me and Mr. Johnson

Eric Clapton's new cd "Me and Mr. Johnson" is coming out on March 30th. I can not wait until I get my hands on this. I heard a preview of it Sunday along with parts of an exclusive interview on The House Of Blues radio hour. Next Sunday the second part of the series will be broadcasted.

Eric is sounding fantastic as always. He happens to be one of my favorite vocalists and guitarist (which he is better known for). One can never overlook his vocals though. He always seems to have such desperation, tenacity, and hurt in his voice all at once and packaged into something beyond breathtaking especially when singing such songs as Layla, Cocaine, Ain't That Loving You, Have You Ever Loved A Woman, After Midnight, etc. He and the band are melding great music on the album from what I've heard so far.

The cd consists of all covers of the quinsessential blues man singer/songwriter/guitarist Robert Johnson. Anyone who knows anything about Eric knows how much influence Johnson has had on him. Since Eric was around 15 years old he has been listening to Johnson, and always goes back to him as that well of inspiration. Eric being no slouch always has amazing renditions of Johnson's songs. One of his best covers would be Crossroad which was always blistering especially while with Cream. On The House of Blues I've already heard amazing covers of They're Red Hot which is a fun, upbeat song, Last Fair Deal Gone Down just blues rock at its best, Kind Hearted Woman Blues which Eric covers again and does a fine job on, and besides those there are 11 other songs.

If you like Robert Johnson I would suggest picking this up. If you like Eric Clapton I would suggest picking this up. If you like bluesy-rock I would suggest picking this up. If you don't know much about any of the above mentioned I would suggest picking this up. If you love any of the three you'll be so happy to have this like me. :D

Hmm, seems this review is also a lot about how much I love Eric Clapton's music. lol If any Eric fans would like to post on here regardless if it's about the cd that would be fine with me. :cool:

Dogstar 03-23-2004 03:23 AM

I just read an article about this release and I'm with you. I can't WAIT to get my hands on it. I forget where I read the review/article, but it said it was a pretty solid effort with only a couple of weak moments. I wish it was coming out tomorrow, because I'm off to the record store to get The Punisher soundtrack! I'm a big Clapton fan as well. The man is a master.

SmilinSkullRing 03-23-2004 03:38 AM

Glad to hear that! I'm with you wishing it was coming out today. I'm heading to the music store to get Dylan's new bootleg release, and would love to pick up Eric's new album too.

Like I said from what I've heard so far it's an excellent album. I guess because of his excellent guitar playing people always seem to never mention his voice. I was sitting on my bed listening to the preview of the album, and was just giddy as a little child listening to him. :D

"The man is a master." - So true!!

He's going to have a festival in TX this summer for his addiction house/foundation. I would love to make that, but I doubt I will.

For the last two weeks I've been on a cocaine kick. Um, the song not the drug of course. lol The riff and his voice make it so great.

Dogstar 03-23-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmilinSkullRing
Glad to hear that! I'm with you wishing it was coming out today. I'm heading to the music store to get Dylan's new bootleg release, and would love to pick up Eric's new album too.

I just got an opportunity to see Dylan next Monday! One of my friends from work has an extra ticket. I've never seen him, so this should be amazing. I still have to check my schedule to make sure I can still go :D.

Quote:

He's going to have a festival in TX this summer for his addiction house/foundation. I would love to make that, but I doubt I will.
Oh, man, I would kill to see that! I hope you get to go.

Quote:

For the last two weeks I've been on a cocaine kick. Um, the song not the drug of course. lol The riff and his voice make it so great.

LMAO...you had me worried there for a sec! That whole album is such a classic. I also love From the Cradle. I put that in when I want to get my groove on. I loooooooove dancing to that one and singing along. God, I can't imagine him picking out a set list. He has soooo much to choose from!

SmilinSkullRing 03-23-2004 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I just got an opportunity to see Dylan next Monday! One of my friends from work has an extra ticket. I've never seen him, so this should be amazing. I still have to check my schedule to make sure I can still go :D.!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to see Dylan!! Okay, remember that giddy as a child comment? :D I want to see him so bad it's not even funny anymore. He was in St. Louis for three concerts at the beginning of March which I couldn't attend because I, unfortunately, don't have a job right now even though I'm looking. Then he had four dates in Chicago! Jack White of The White Stripes joined him onstage the last date of his Detroit show this last week. If I don't see Dylan my head will explode from thinking of all the ways and possibilities of seeing him. :o :D

Quote:

Oh, man, I would kill to see that! I hope you get to go.!

Thanks. I really hope I get to as well, but it falls back to finding a job. The economy isn't treating me nice.

Quote:

LMAO...you had me worried there for a sec! That whole album is such a classic. I also love From the Cradle. I put that in when I want to get my groove on. I loooooooove dancing to that one and singing along. God, I can't imagine him picking out a set list. He has soooo much to choose from!

LOL! Didn't mean to worry ya. :smokin: Slowhand is definitely a classic. One of my favorites. From The Cradle is pretty good as well. I have to agree with you there. Back to Cocaine right now I think my favorite version is from his live cd "One More Car: One More Rider". The way he growls out some of the lyrics is incredible.

The setlist choice must be difficult as it is with any of the great artists. He has so many classics though that he can't possibly always play them.

Dogstar 03-23-2004 04:15 AM

LOL, I couldn't believe my luck with the Dylan show because it's sold out. They even added another one at another venue because the first one sold out so fast. That sucks that you missed him. I know what you mean about the finances, though. I sure hope you find a job soon! Slowhand came out when I was in high school. :D...It's amazing the staying power his music has and how much he influenced so many future musicians. That's cool about Jack White joining Dylan on stage! I'm not the hugest White Stripes fan, but they have that song Seven Nation Army that I kind of like. Audioslave did a bad-ass cover of it at Lollapalooza last year.

SmilinSkullRing 03-23-2004 04:22 AM

Dylan starts up his European tour in June. That means he should start another N.A. tour in the fall. Hopefully though he'll add a show between his last April date and the festival date in June. I think I may be able to swing it then. I need to find a poor soul to take pity upon me. Hmm, maybe I should try calling Bob himself. ;)

I heard the Audioslave cover. Pretty cool! Bob is actually a White Stripes fan which I think is neat. I started getting into them last summer (a lot) thanks to a friend who sent me a boot and showed me the error of my ways for doubting them.

After you catch Dylan in concert make sure to give me a play-by-play. :D

Dogstar 03-23-2004 11:33 AM

Will do, will do! I just rechecked my schedule and it looks like a go!!! Woooooo-hoooooooooo. Hey, FYI, there's a pretty good interview of Jack White in the May issue of Guitar World. I happened to pick this up at the airport in Houston when I was coming back. He's on the cover as well.

Sheila63 03-23-2004 12:16 PM

Quote:

Eric Clapton's new cd "Me and Mr. Johnson" is coming out on March 30th. I can not wait until I get my hands on this. I heard a preview of it Sunday along with parts of an exclusive interview on The House Of Blues radio hour. Next Sunday the second part of the series will be broadcasted.

Hmm, seems this review is also a lot about how much I love Eric Clapton's music. lol If any Eric fans would like to post on here regardless if it's about the cd that would be fine with me. :cool:

Thanks for the info, I love Eric Clapton too. :D I'll definitely pick the cd up. I agree with the two of you, he is a master.

Quote:

I would too!! if you do get a chance to go, please fill us in when you get back and Enjoy!!!:dancing:

Some of my Clapton favorites are Let It Rain, Layla (the original), Before You Accuse me (LOVE that song!) and so many more.

SmilinSkullRing 03-24-2004 01:27 AM

Quote:

Will do, will do! I just rechecked my schedule and it looks like a go!!! Woooooo-hoooooooooo. Hey, FYI, there's a pretty good interview of Jack White in the May issue of Guitar World. I happened to pick this up at the airport in Houston when I was coming back. He's on the cover as well.

Uh, I'm so jealous but so happy at the same time!! :D Thanks for the heads up about Guitar World. I'll probably pick that up tomorrow.

BTW, I have a very cool vcd of a Dylan show from '96 called "Stage Diving in Dubuque". You have to see it to believe it. lol I might send it your way one day if you are interested.

Dogstar 03-24-2004 01:35 AM

Oh, that would RULE!!! I'm sure we can make a deal :D. I hope I can play VCDs in my computer. They are like DVDs, right? I'm a little clueless on this stuff sometimes.

SmilinSkullRing 03-24-2004 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheila63
Thanks for the info, I love Eric Clapton too. :D I'll definitely pick the cd up. I agree with the two of you, he is a master.

I would too!! if you do get a chance to go, please fill us in when you get back and Enjoy!!!:dancing:

Some of my Clapton favorites are Let It Rain, Layla (the original), Before You Accuse me (LOVE that song!) and so many more.

Would be glad to hear what you think of the cd when you get it. I'll probably post a review of some sort. :D

If I get to go I will definitely let you know all about the concert! Here's hoping I get to go. We should all get to go. ;)

Those are excellent songs! Tears In Heaven also always has so much emotion. He almost always does an amazing version of Badge.

SmilinSkullRing 03-24-2004 01:42 AM

Quote:

Oh, that would RULE!!! I'm sure we can make a deal :D. I hope I can play VCDs in my computer. They are like DVDs, right? I'm a little clueless on this stuff sometimes.

I'm sure we can too. It's not the best quality, but it's pretty good. Well, the name says it all. :cool: You should be able to play the vcd. As long as you have a dvd-rom drive you are set.

Oh BTW, I was so excited about the new Dylan release that in my mind I moved the release date up a week to today. LOL It comes out the same day as Eric's new release. That day will rock!

Dogstar 03-24-2004 02:16 AM

Speaking of Eric's new release...I got such a tease at the record store today. They had a sale sign for the new release at 12.99 and it was in where his CDs are. Of course, it was empty, so I asked the salesperson whether they were out of all their copies already, and he said they apparently were supposed to get it today, but that it had been pushed back...I was thinking it had sold out already. I told them they should really take that sign down. :D

SmilinSkullRing 03-24-2004 02:40 AM

Ha ha, great story. I would tell them to take that sign down too. Doing things like that could hurt someone's health. You know like the person I run over getting to the sign only to find out the truth. :D