CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PRS Single Cut, MUST READ (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6546)

tremonti4life04 05-09-2004 11:57 PM

PRS Single Cut, MUST READ

I found this artical on the web after i was told tonite about PRS getting sued by Gibson because PRS used the copywritten body style of the Les Paul in order to make the Single Cut, as all of you know, is used by mark tremonti, here is the artical:

Gibson Guitar Wins Watershed Trademark Suit

By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE--Gibson Guitar has won a watershed trademark infringement case against Stevensville, Md.-based guitar company Paul Reed Smith.

Paul Reed Smith is accused with using the body design on Gibson's Les Paul single cutaway guitar without permission.

Judge William J. Haynes of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee last week ruled that Paul Reed Smith infringed Gibson's valid trademark.

Gibson had claimed that the PRS "Singlecut" guitar infringed on the company's trademark which is registered for its Les Paul single cutaway guitar.

Included in the claim is the fact that the PRS model unjustly used the Les Paul design and would cause confusion in the marketplace and damages to Gibson Guitar, the amount of which now will be determined in the next phase of the proceedings.

facelessman 05-10-2004 12:31 AM

what the gay?!

DangerousDan85 05-10-2004 12:36 AM

does this mean that Gibson is gonna break into my house and repo my Tremonti SE, cause it does have the Les Paul bodystyle, what am i gonna do? :eek:

hayley 05-10-2004 12:53 AM

Make one of those underground hole things that were on The Wizard of Oz and hide it in there, lock it up so no one can get in!

That SUCKS though...what are they going to do :thud:

tremonti4life04 05-10-2004 01:06 AM

Well, they wont take your guitar man, you just wont be able to buy them, and PRS will get a hefty fine outta it. I mean, yea it sucks, but i can definitly see the logic. When i first saw the with arms wide open video, the debut of the PRS Tremonti, i thought for a while that it was a gibson les paul, cuz i know tremonti played one on the My Own Prison album/tour and didnt get a PRS endorsment til after that. See, since the PRS Single Cut looks identical to the Gibson les paul, thats a problem because in my opinion the PRS Sounds a lot better, and is cheaper than a les paul. That creates problems for gibson because people buy les pauls for the looks/name as much as the sound, and if the PRS sounds better and looks the same, and is fractionally cheaper, that means that gibson is gonna lose 1000-3000 dollars every time a PRS Single Cut is sold to someone that used to buy gibson les pauls because they were the only guitar that looked that way, and had that body style. Now, as with Epiphone, they are a cheap korean rip off of the Gibson les pauls, more like the generic brand, they dont have that good of wood, their sound is much worse than a gibson lp, and they sport bolt on necks instead of neck through, which, neck through makes the guitar sustain a note a lot better. That is the whole problem with PRS, because PRS didnt ask permission to use the body style, and i believe they sound a lot better and look a lot better than les pauls, and apparently gibson doesnt like that idea very much!

Delirium 05-10-2004 01:38 AM

It serves them right for not making a left-handed model.

Shadow 05-10-2004 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDan85
does this mean that Gibson is gonna break into my house and repo my Tremonti SE, cause it does have the Les Paul bodystyle, what am i gonna do? :eek:

Dan, you're lucky you have one. It will probably become a collector's item now and the value will increase.

aussiecreeder 05-10-2004 10:26 AM

they'll have to change the singlecut so it doesn't enfringe copyright and pay damages, but no they won't take your guitar! :D

benkenobi 05-10-2004 04:33 PM

Looks like its E-bay for the PRS singlecut from now on. What does this mean for the Tremonti model PRS?

Higher_Desire 05-10-2004 07:13 PM

That is so gay. A lot of guitars look alike. It is a bit weird that Gibson only has one guitar that looks like that, whereas PRS has that basic look on all their guitars.

H-D :nutty:

Bridge of Clay 05-10-2004 07:51 PM

that's crap... PRS have the bird inlays... and Les Paul is kinda flat, while PRS has some nice curves... if PRS stops making singlecuts, it'll be sued by Fender... doh!

Rune 05-10-2004 08:07 PM

on a happier note, i talked to a PRS representative a few days ago and said that PRS and Gibson had reached a settlement and PRS will still be able to manufacture singlecuts.

Bridge of Clay 05-10-2004 08:15 PM

great!!!

Hi Rune! Nice to see you again! It's been a while!

Higher_Desire 05-11-2004 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune
on a happier note, i talked to a PRS representative a few days ago and said that PRS and Gibson had reached a settlement and PRS will still be able to manufacture singlecuts.

Sweet! Thanks for getting that info.

H-D :razz:

Wylde-Tremonti 05-11-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed
that's crap... PRS have the bird inlays... and Les Paul is kinda flat, while PRS has some nice curves... if PRS stops making singlecuts, it'll be sued by Fender... doh!

Well Les Paul Studios aren't Flat... and have similars curves except The PRS has the Sig PRS indented Cut... that makes this whole thing a bunch of Bull Shit... but yeah... i'm glad they settled it... IMO... Gibson was just Jealous and wanted to take a shot at PRS...