CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Political Banter (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Spielberg's Munich causes controversy (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=10373)

Ana4Stapp 01-23-2006 08:35 PM

Spielberg's Munich causes controversy

Olympic horrors:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4631142.stm

A new film has been released giving a fictional account of events after the 1972 Olympics which saw 11 Israeli athletes killed by Palestinian militants.
Steven Spielberg's film, starring Eric Bana, has been criticised by both Israelis and Palestinians. The film explores the issue of whether responding to terrorism with violence can be justified, or whether it just prompts further terrorism - as Spielberg's Munich suggests.

Anyone saw it ? Reviews?

Chase 01-24-2006 04:45 PM

Re: Spielberg's Munich causes controversy

Haven't seen it yet... and I'm not sure I want to. I'm getting tired of Hollywood putting their liberal spin on movies. It's sad... movies like Brokeback Mountain will receive all sorts of critical praise and awards because it's about two homosexual cowboys... but when Mel Gibson creates an amazingly produced movie in The Passion of the Christ, Hollywood intentionally tries to discredit him and overlook the film. The academy even went as far to give Michael Moore an award... and not Mel Gibson. Moore makes a living off of lying, whereas Gibson went against the Hollywood norm. It's sad.

One or two 9/11 movies are ALREADY being filmed. One of them is being directed by Oliver Stone, a man who is looking for controversy in everything he does. Don't believe me? Go watch his horrible attempt at an epic, Alexander.

RMadd 01-24-2006 04:56 PM

To be honest, the movie looks rather interesting to me. But I haven't really read much about controversies surrounding it or anything (I'd prefer to see it without any preconceptions or misconceptions).

A blurb about the 2 9/11 movies to which Chase was referring can be found here, about 2/3 of the way down the page. It'll be interesting to see them when they come out (the other--not Stone's--is due out in April). IMO, it's still too soon, not only because many people still have emotional scars of some sort, but also because we can't accurately analyze and assess something that happened so recently (much for the same reason that historians and political scientists hold off on assessing presidents and wars until they've been out of office or over for a good 10 or 20 years). But we'll see if they have an almost-kitschy, excessively-patriotic feel, or if they seek to tear down or villainize Pres. Bush.

Haven't seen Brokeback, and have no intentions to. It's not behavior of which I approve, and, since it's my dinero, I'll choose not to spend it on a movie that seems to advocate behavior that, in my opinion, is morally contemptible.

RMadd 01-24-2006 04:58 PM

On IMDB:
Flight 93 (last updated Nov '05)

World Trade Center (last updated Oct '05)

Ana4Stapp 01-24-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase
Haven't seen it yet... and I'm not sure I want to. I'm getting tired of Hollywood putting their liberal spin on movies. It's sad... movies like Brokeback Mountain will receive all sorts of critical praise and awards because it's about two homosexual cowboys... but when Mel Gibson creates an amazingly produced movie in The Passion of the Christ, Hollywood intentionally tries to discredit him and overlook the film. The academy even went as far to give Michael Moore an award... and not Mel Gibson. Moore makes a living off of lying, whereas Gibson went against the Hollywood norm. It's sad.

One or two 9/11 movies are ALREADY being filmed. One of them is being directed by Oliver Stone, a man who is looking for controversy in everything he does. Don't believe me? Go watch his horrible attempt at an epic, Alexander.

Im looking foward to see Munich...(I think it will be released next friday) after all its historyand I can see how Spielberg (a jewish) paints the terrorism, but Ive already hear that this film is more from entertainment than for taking a ' side'--which is understandable in Hollywood: you cant excpect a big public going to see documentaries ...

Well I disagree Chase-- I think that we that have history/political degrees --we certainly need to see the controversial movies - with a certain distance -of course: without too much passion involved.. . but for the clear purpose to maybe warn others people - 'hey it isnt the exactly way this movie is showing'-- Dont let that your political views supplants your scientific/historic interest.

And even though I didnt like Passion of the Christ too much and thought that Bowling for Columbine was very interesting i admit that Hollywood hardly chooses something real good -prefering gives a prize to. the blockbusters entertainement ones. because they are definitely commercial what means money, my dear. ;)

And also about Oliver Stone I certainly believe in you-- I saw Alexander (bad movie), JFK(good) but his movie which I always remember is Platoon ( very good) ...hey i was forgetting a memorable film - Salvador (excellent) did u see it? Im assuming not...

Ana4Stapp 01-24-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
To be honest, the movie looks rather interesting to me. But I haven't really read much about controversies surrounding it or anything (I'd prefer to see it without any preconceptions or misconceptions).

This is was the exact reason i dslike Passion of Christ: I heard so much about the polemic involved it: so I expected too much...

Quote:

A blurb about the 2 9/11 movies to which Chase was referring can be found here, about 2/3 of the way down the page. It'll be interesting to see them when they come out (the other--not Stone's--is due out in April). IMO, it's still too soon, not only because many people still have emotional scars of some sort, but also because we can't accurately analyze and assess something that happened so recently (much for the same reason that historians and political scientists hold off on assessing presidents and wars until they've been out of office or over for a good 10 or 20 years). But we'll see if they have an almost-kitschy, excessively-patriotic feel, or if they seek to tear down or villainize Pres. Bush

Lol...Its interesting the coincidence because after Chase posted it I looked for Oliver Stone movies exactly in this site (the best) --btw is it the same you go when you are in text based games?? lol lol lol :D And I agree September 11 is too much 'present' in America's memory...

Quote:

Haven't seen Brokeback, and have no intentions to. It's not behavior of which I approve, and, since it's my dinero, I'll choose not to spend it on a movie that seems to advocate behavior that, in my opinion, is morally contemptible

I was watching its trailler yesterday in web (another coincidence) and the story didnt call much my attention- have no interest in se this movie...even though (male) homosexuality is an assue that dont causes me discomfort at all...but i understand your points -you two are men-and men clearly dont deal with this very easy.

Chase 01-24-2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp
This is was the exact reason i dslike Passion of Christ: I heard so much about the polemic involved it: so I expected too much...

Lol...Its interesting the coincidence because after Chase posted it I looked for Oliver Stone movies exactly in this site (the best) --btw is it the same you go when you are in text based games?? lol lol lol :D And I agree September 11 is too much 'present' in America's memory...

I was watching its trailler yesterday in web (another coincidence) and the story didnt call much my attention- have no interest in se this movie...even though (male) homosexuality is an assue that dont causes me discomfort at all...but i understand your points -you two are men-and men clearly dont deal with this very easy.

The 9/11 movies are being released way, way too soon. I went to Ground Zero a year ago, in January 2005, and felt all sorts of emotions. I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan, and in the audiences there were quite a few World War II veterans. That was the most crying I have ever seen in any movie... even more than the Passion of the Christ. These men, decades after the war, were so emotionally scarred from their experiences. 9/11 is too fresh. I mean, we still have the same president in office for crying out loud and are still viciously egaged in combating terrorists. There will be a lot of Americans boycotting these films. We don't need someone to tell us what happened. We watched those towers fall to the ground on live television. If there is ANY attempt, in these films, to villainize the United States... there are going to be a lot of pissed up Americans.

In regards to Munich, I will probably see it soon. I am a fan of Speilberg as a director. It does disappoint me, however, when there Hollywood tampers with history to make political points. That does not sit well with me at all. In fact, I think Team America: World Police was more accurate than Fahrenheit 9/11.

Brokeback Mountain is a film that won't pay to see. I don't agree with its message, at all. Me being a man doesn't make me disagree with homosexuality... it's religion, biology, and the field of medicine.

Ana4Stapp 01-24-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

The 9/11 movies are being released way, way too soon. I went to Ground Zero a year ago, in January 2005, and felt all sorts of emotions. I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan, and in the audiences there were quite a few World War II veterans. That was the most crying I have ever seen in any movie... even more than the Passion of the Christ. These men, decades after the war, were so emotionally scarred from their experiences. 9/11 is too fresh. I mean, we still have the same president in office for crying out loud and are still viciously egaged in combating terrorists. There will be a lot of Americans boycotting these films. We don't need someone to tell us what happened. We watched those towers fall to the ground on live television. If there is ANY attempt, in these films, to villainize the United States... there are going to be a lot of pissed up Americans.

In regards to Munich, I will probably see it soon. I am a fan of Speilberg as a director. It does disappoint me, however, when there Hollywood tampers with history to make political points. That does not sit well with me at all. In fact, I think Team America: World Police was more accurate than Fahrenheit 9/11.

Brokeback Mountain is a film that won't pay to see. I don't agree with its message, at all. Me being a man doesn't make me disagree with homosexuality... it's religion, biology, and the field of medicine.

Well...I cant understand in the first post you said you probably wont se Munich and in this you see will se it soon...You confused me to death...:confused:

Ah Chase .. being a man is a point to consider homosexuality as wrong or perverse--its cultural: men avoids this issue - i dont know a man who didnt feel 'disturbed' by this. And i m not judging you men --not saying you are right or wrong--but its obvious. And I think with women we have the same situation.

I almost agree with your first comments( I dont know why I started by the end of this...lol) about movies that vilanizes US...its so naive see things in this way...its the same if I tell you that I dslike all the movies that treat US as the good guy , like US President saving the whole world like in that movie when a meteor is going to collide with the earth (deep impact? I think). Did you like this movie?

Ana4Stapp 01-25-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

I think I never heard about this movie...but I found something very interesting:
" Team America an international police force dedicated to maintaning global stability, learns that a power hungry dictator is brokering weapons of mass destruction to terrorists. The heroes embarck upon a harrowing mission to save the world."

Wow ! I easily can see you loving this movie, Chase.:rolleyes:

Chase 01-25-2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

I think I never heard about this movie...but I found something very interesting:
" Team America an international police force dedicated to maintaning global stability, learns that a power hungry dictator is brokering weapons of mass destruction to terrorists. The heroes embarck upon a harrowing mission to save the world."

Wow ! I easily can see you loving this movie, Chase.:rolleyes:

Yeah, in it they kill terrorists... so I can easily see why you wouldn't like it. ;)

They also hilariously satirize the outspoken Hollywood idiots like Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, and Matt Damon.

Ana4Stapp 01-25-2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Yeah, in it they kill terrorists... so I can easily see why you wouldn't like it. ;)

Oh dear... will you someday understand my point??? :rolleyes:

Ana4Stapp 01-25-2006 12:31 AM

Quote:

They also hilariously satirize the outspoken Hollywood idiots like Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, and Matt Damon.

Let me try ...are these guys idiots because they are against Bush ????? :rolleyes:

Chase 01-25-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Well...I cant understand in the first post you said you probably wont se Munich and in this you see will se it soon...You confused me to death...:confused:

Ah Chase .. being a man is a point to consider homosexuality as wrong or perverse--its cultural: men avoids this issue - i dont know a man who didnt feel 'disturbed' by this. And i m not judging you men --not saying you are right or wrong--but its obvious. And I think with women we have the same situation.

I almost agree with your first comments( I dont know why I started by the end of this...lol) about movies that vilanizes US...its so naive see things in this way...its the same if I tell you that I dslike all the movies that treat US as the good guy , like US President saving the whole world like in that movie when a meteor is going to collide with the earth (deep impact? I think). Did you like this movie?

How can you dictate why I don't like something? I told you why I don't think homosexuality isn't a good lifestyle. I believe in God, don't see they biological importance of it, and see a population in which STDs run rampant. Why isn't that enough? Trust me, the fact that I'm a man has nothing to do with it.

I said I'm sure I want to see Munich, but I probably will end up seeing it sometime. I don't see the confusion behind that. If someone makes a 9/11 movie that is saying that the U.S. is to blame for Islamic extremists attacking this country... I will be pissed off. If I remember correctly, the U.S. President didn't save the world from being hit from a meteor... in fact, I think the meteor did hit. He simply brought the survivors together. I didn't think the movie was anything special... it was your typical blockbuster.

Chase 01-25-2006 12:39 AM

Quote:

Let me try ...are these guys idiots because they are against Bush ????? :rolleyes:

Um, no. They're idiots because they would rather condemn Americans instead of Osama bin Laden... and Sean Penn called Iraq a "paradise" when it was ruled by Saddam Hussein. If you've heard or seen Michael Moore speak, as I have, you can see that the guy is lying to make a buck.

Chase 01-25-2006 12:40 AM

Quote:

Oh dear... will you someday understand my point??? :rolleyes:

Absolutely, once you understand mine. ;)