CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alter Bridge bringing back the solo! (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=6697)

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 08:01 AM

Alter Bridge bringing back the solo!

i posted this over at the AB board but i thought i'ld post this here as well.

Now mainstream rock radio at the moment is filled with these "pop-punk" bands who can barely play one fast muted chord over and over. What am i hoping for (and i'm sure the band is as well) is that Alter Bridge along with bands such as Velvet Revolver can be part of a mini-revolution that makes people forget about Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and the like and embrace bands who can play their instruements.
*puts on best arnie accent*
Come on Mark become the Terminator and rid the world of these crappy bands, you are back. What did Arnie say to Mozart? I'll be Bach!

As long as the shredding is contained in "catchy" songs then I think its a distinct possiblity, as long as the marketing is done properly. VR can do it with Slither and other songs off Contraband and Alter Bridge can also be part of the action. Audioslave is also bringing out an album later this year and Tom Morello, Slash and Mark Tremonti rocking the airwaves!

As a very handy by-product Myles could also make having a singer who can do just that a mandatory part of the pie, not a handy extra!

Who's with me?

Can I get an Amen? :D

johellion 05-26-2004 08:16 AM

:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
i posted this over at the AB board but i thought i'ld post this here as well.

Now mainstream rock radio at the moment is filled with these "pop-punk" bands who can barely play one fast muted chord over and over. What am i hoping for (and i'm sure the band is as well) is that Alter Bridge along with bands such as Velvet Revolver can be part of a mini-revolution that makes people forget about Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and the like and embrace bands who can play their instruements.
*puts on best arnie accent*
Come on Mark become the Terminator and rid the world of these crappy bands, you are back. What did Arnie say to Mozart? I'll be Bach!

As long as the shredding is contained in "catchy" songs then I think its a distinct possiblity, as long as the marketing is done properly. VR can do it with Slither and other songs off Contraband and Alter Bridge can also be part of the action. Audioslave is also bringing out an album later this year and Tom Morello, Slash and Mark Tremonti rocking the airwaves!

As a very handy by-product Myles could also make having a singer who can do just that a mandatory part of the pie, not a handy extra!

Who's with me?

Can I get an Amen? :D

AMEN!!! :D

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 08:38 AM

I had no idea you were the same person.....lmao!

I'm slow that way. ;)

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockGoddess
I had no idea you were the same person.....lmao!

I'm slow that way. ;)

thats cool, name is completely different, i could tell you were one and the same! :) any more amens from the congregation? :D

Trees of Wisdom 05-26-2004 09:39 AM

Amen.

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 09:41 AM

Whoa, dude. Those are like my three favorite bands (even though I have yet to hear Alterbridge)!!!

It's nice to see the real fans sticking around who are all about the music. With Alterbridge, we now know the people who were real Creed fans all along from the chicks that just think Stapp is hot.

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellboy
Whoa, dude. Those are like my three favorite bands (even though I have yet to hear Alterbridge)!!!

It's nice to see the real fans sticking around who are all about the music. With Alterbridge, we now know the people who were real Creed fans all along from the chicks that just think Stapp is hot.

about your last comment there will be many who will follow Stapp and not pay attention to Alter Bridge and vice versa. While I think everyone should support both we shouldnt have a superiority complex!

anyhow back to the topic on hand i'm expecting these three bands's albums

AB
VR
Audioslave

to be my fav albums of the year, straight-up rock with bands who's talent levels should be illlegal. old style rock and roll the way it should be! lets hope such bands make pop-punk and nu-metal redundant!

benkenobi 05-26-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handmedown
AB
VR
Audioslave

... straight-up rock with bands who's talent levels should be illlegal.

:lolsign: That's a great quote!!!!

OneOmerta 05-26-2004 10:00 AM

ummm yeah

Quote:

Sooo...your saying that the fans who are excited about Alter Bridge, posting on message boards loudly proclaiming that support are the REAL fans who are there only for the music? hahaaa...yeah....ok dude! There are just as many chicks out there who are there because they think Tremonti is hot....even though they will loudly proclaim it's all about the music for them. When how could it be about the music when 99% of the people out here haven't heard a damn note of it??? ;)

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 10:03 AM

No, I am absolutely correct.

Screw the people who like bands because the people in them are attractive. I pity anybody like that...those people who spend more time looking at the album cover and pictures inside than listening to the cd.

:mad1:

I can fully expect this new band to be decent because I know their skill as musicians. There probably are a lot of poser chicks here that think Tremonti is hot and that's why they "love" the idea of this new band. Well, I tell them to go somewhere else and go follow Justin Timberlake. I am an 18 year old guy who has been a Creed fan longer than most people here and these kind of people piss me off.

OneOmerta 05-26-2004 10:12 AM

huh?

Quote:

No, I am absolutely correct. And by the way...Pearl Jam sucks.

Screw the people who like bands because the people in them are attractive. I pity anybody like that...those people who spend more time looking at the album cover and pictures inside than listening to the cd.

:mad1:

what does Pearl Jam have to do with my reply? :wtf:

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 10:14 AM

Mertie, I have to agree with you. (I know, don't pass out. ;) )

There are those that oooh and ahhh over Tremo just much as some do over Stapp. And there are those who will follow Stapp because they appreciate him as a performer. I think it cuts both ways.

I do think though that most people are excited over AB because of Tremo's past work and their banking on his talent as a guitarist and song writer.

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 10:15 AM

Nevermind. And you all know Stapp's solo CD is gonna completely suck.

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 10:17 AM

Hellboy, please don't make blanket statements about what people know or don't know. If you're going to make an intelligent argument fine, but please don't tell me what I know.

OneOmerta 05-26-2004 10:21 AM

Quote:

Mertie, I have to agree with you. (I know, don't pass out. ;) )

There are those that oooh and ahhh over Tremo just much as some do over Stapp. And there are those who will follow Stapp because they appreciate him as a performer. I think it cuts both ways.

I do think though that most people are excited over AB because of Tremo's past work and their banking on his talent as a guitarist and song writer.

**passes out** JK ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing Tremo's work too :cool: And looking forward to Stapps as well. I think it will be exciting to hear the differences in both their efforts.

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneOmerta
**passes out** JK ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing Tremo's work too :cool: And looking forward to Stapps as well. I think it will be exciting to hear the differences in both their efforts.

exactly i'm 100% behind both efforts and can't wait to see where Tremo and Stapp have gone with their respective songwriting talents. Hellboy enough with bashing other bands in this case Pearl Jam.

You list three bands as your favs for this year;

Audioslave-do you know Chris Cornell is very close to the PJ and was in a band with them Temple of the Dog?

the other two have in the past being compared to Pearl Jam and we won't argue that point again hopefully.

anyhow don't sabotage my thread of greatness! :D

all hail the return of the guitar solo!

thanks ben......

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 10:33 AM

I've only heard one song by Temple of the Dog. I don't even remember what it was, but I remember I liked it. lol

DangerousDan85 05-26-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

And you all know Stapp's solo CD is gonna completely suck.

yep, we are all psychics here like Miss Cleo

TeriB19 05-26-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

You don't know anything of the sort. It may suck in your opinion, but don't tell the rest of the board what we all know.

Quote:

. I am an 18 year old guy who has been a Creed fan longer than most people here and these kind of people piss me off.

And don't come to this message board and tell people you've been a fan longer than anyone here. We've got members here who've been fans and followed the band since their early days in Tallahassee, so stop shooting off your mouth. You were 8 when the band first started and I highly doubt you could get into Floyd's to hear them play back then. If you continue to shoot your mouth off in this disrespectful manner, you're time here will be quite short.

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

and I highly doubt you could get into Floyd's to hear them play back then

O.k., that was funny!

WeatheredWoman 05-26-2004 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriB19
You were 8 when the band first started and I highly doubt you could get into Floyd's to hear them play back then

:roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriB19
If you continue to shoot your mouth off in this disrespectful manner, you're time here will be quite short.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 10:54 AM

Quote:

I've only heard one song by Temple of the Dog. I don't even remember what it was, but I remember I liked it. lol

everyone should really own Temple of the Dog's one and only album. Members of the band were/are

Chris Cornell-Vocals (Main Songwriter)
Stone Gossard-Guitar
Mike McCready-Guitar
Jeff Ament-Bass
Matt Cameron (Soundgarden now PJ)-Drums

Eddie harmonised on some songs and was co-vocalist on "Hunger Strike" which is probably the song you have heard. Whole concept was to remember Andy Wood who was the lead singer of Mother Love Bone a pre-PJ outfit who were cut down just as they were getting somewhere. talking about guitar solos McCready goes nuts on one song "Reach Down".

Anyhow back O/T how much harmonsing does Mark do in this song?

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 11:02 AM

Yeah, I knew the band had been formed to honor someone who had died. And I believe it was a critically acclaimed cd. I really should look into getting it.

Anyway, back to guitar solos. Listening to Mark shred is nothing short of orgasmic.

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 11:04 AM

Which, the first single? He does some and his voice and Myles' seem better suited to each other. The harmonies are just awesome.

ETA: my comment is in no way a jab at Stapp. Its just that from what I've heard, I personally like Mark's voice better with Myles'. It's simply my own opinion and please take it as such.

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 11:12 AM

Quote:

Which, the first single? He does some and his voice and Myles' seem better suited to each other. The harmonies are just awesome.

ETA: my comment is in no way jab at Stapp. Its ust that from what I've heard, I personally like Mark's voice better with Myles'. It's simply my own opinion and please take it as such.

nothing short of orgasmic hey? ummm i am filled with exictement! :D

its cool i didn't take it as a jab at Stapp but perhaps a wise move to make that clear. Without hearing them together it makes sense that their voices would be better suited to eachother. Mark's voice is quite deep and Myles with that tenor probably gives a good contrast. Has his voice improved any great amount? Is it obvious he has worked on his voice? Were you one of those who got to hear the demos?

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 11:50 AM

I was invited to a rehearsal, and man you ask a lot of questions! LOL

Look, I'm not a musician and I'm not a critic. And I'm sure others are sick and tired of hearing from me. LOL There really isn't much more I can add. You will hear it soon enough and it will be well worth the wait.

aussiecreeder 05-26-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

I was invited to a rehearsal, and man you ask a lot of questions! LOL

Look, I'm not a musician and I'm not a critic. And I'm sure others are sick and tired of hearing from me. LOL There really isn't much more I can add. You will hear it soon enough and it will be well worth the wait.

okay got the picture clearly! :)

*zips ups lips so i can't ask anymore questions*

Jooji_2 05-26-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

I don't know crap.....I haven't heard any of the new stuff.....and neither have you.

Is this another of those....."you wouldn't know good music if it slapped you in the face" people? I can't stand music snobs.

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 05:08 PM

I'm not gonna even try to defend myself. You all are really quick to attack others on this board and don't let anyone state their opinion. I was basically saying that most solo attempts bomb, even if they are somewhat talented musicians (Weiland and Cornell anybody?), and Stapp's will most likely be no different.

And by the way, my local radio station was the first to play Creed outside of Tallahassee (Creed has said this at their concerts, and yeah, some of you know where this is) so other than the people in Florida, I've been listening to them a long time.

Dammit

"Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly,
They go to a lake of fire and fry,
Won't see 'em again 'til the Fourth of July."

Lake of Fire by the Meat Puppets and Nirvana (One of the greatest bands ever)

TeriB19 05-26-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

I was basically saying that most solo attempts bomb, even if they are somewhat talented musicians (Weiland and Cornell anybody?), and Stapp's will most likely be no different.

No, what you said was NOT that most solo attempts bomb. What you said was that 'We all know Stapp's solo CD will completely suck'. Don't post what we think you mean or you'll be in for a ration of crap. Don't backpedal now.

Quote:

And by the way, my local radio station was the first to play Creed outside of Tallahassee (Creed has said this at their concerts, and yeah, some of you know where this is) so other than the people in Florida, I've been listening to them a long time.

This may be so, but it still doesn't mean you've been a fan longer than anyone here. Stop being such a jerk and maybe you wouldn't be flamed.

What is up with the posters today???? Is it National Post a Bunch of Crap Day? Did I not get the memo???? :wtf:

Dogstar 05-26-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDan85
yep, we are all psychics here like Miss Cleo

:laugh:

Ed Wood 05-26-2004 11:13 PM

hellboy is absolutely right- stop bitching people out!!!

so what if he said y'all know Stapp's solo release is gonna suck. It's called generalizing and if all the other solo artists suck when they go off on their own, Stapp will too. He didn't say that Stapp is a no talent hack, which a lot of people think he is. Attack those people if you have to bite someone's head off.

And hellboy said he was a fan longer than most people here. Not everyone.

Jesus, you all pick on everybody for making comments in an internet BB. I'd hate to meet you in real life.

PS- face it that Stapp's solo career doesn't have much of a chance because 1)he has never written without Tremo and 2)there seems to be a consensus that he's a jerk with a huge ego

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

It's called generalizing and if all the other solo artists suck when they go off on their own, Stapp will too.

That would be the problem with his argument.

Quote:

I'd hate to meet you in real life.

That's not likely to happen, so no worries there.

Quote:

PS- face it that Stapp's solo career doesn't have much of a chance because 1)he has never written without Tremo and 2)there seems to be a consensus that he's a jerk with a huge ego

You might actually have a point.

Dogstar 05-26-2004 11:26 PM

How the hell would hellboy know how long anyone here has been a fan? It's a stupid thing to say. And saying Stapp's solo album is going to suck without having heard it is also stupid. Give me a freaken break.

And nice way to introduce yourself, by the way, Ed Wood. Sheesh. Lighten up already.

Bridge of Clay 05-26-2004 11:27 PM

Although I'm not a Stapp little widow like some of this board, I wish him all the best.

The dissing is unnecessary.

The same goes to Mark.

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 11:35 PM

I said I have been a fan for a long time, more than most people here unless they've all been fans since before MOP was released!!! And that's pretty doubtful.

AND... I have a f***in' right to say that Stapp's solo will be bad. Solo projects NEVER are successful and always suck, no matter how talented the musician is. Unless you all are communists I have a right to say something that isn't worshipping Creed and the ground it's member's walk on.

It also doesn't help a career if your ego is bigger than your song repertoire.

As soon as someone defends me, they're automatically idiots, too?

OK...I see how this board works.

Dogstar 05-26-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

I said I have been a fan for a long time, more than most people here unless they've all been fans since before MOP was released!!! And that's pretty doubtful.

As Teri noted, you'd have to have been about 8 when they started playing...before MOP was released. Again, it's still hardly a credible statement.

Quote:

AND... I have a f***in' right to say that Stapp's solo will be bad.
And others have the right to disagree and rip you if they want.

Quote:

Solo projects NEVER are successful and always suck, no matter how talented the musician is.

Successful in terms of sales? Maybe not so successful, but it doesn't mean the album sucks in terms of the music itself. I happen to love Cornell's Euphoria Morning and Jerry Cantrell's two solo efforts. As long as they sell enough stuff to keep making music, I'll be happy.

Quote:

Unless you all are communists I have a right to say something that isn't worshipping Creed and the ground it's member's walk on.

So you said it and people ripped you. Get over it already.

Quote:

As soon as someone defends me, they're automatically idiots, too?

Hmmm, nobody said anyone who defended you was an idiot. You might want to tone down the drama just a bit.

Quote:

OK...I see how this board works.

Hmm, not sure you do, but if you don't like it, you can always leave :D.

RockGoddess 05-26-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

AND... I have a f***in' right to say that Stapp's solo will be bad

That's not what you said. You said we all knew it.

Quote:

Solo projects NEVER are successful and always suck, no matter how talented the musician is.

I love it when people speak in the absolute. It gives their argument such validity.

Torn Daredevil 05-26-2004 11:49 PM

Whose to say I'm credible or not? How would you know? Saying that is no different than me saying Stapp's solo CD will suck.

My point was that you people are so vicious when ripping on people. Tone it down. A simple, "OK, but I disagree" would do just fine. Not a "Who are you to say that, you asshole? You suck and Stapp is God. You've never heard any of it so shut the hell up!! And you were only...18 minus 10 is...ummmm... you were only... 8 when MOP came out so you can't be a fan for that long. Kids can't listen to Creed!!! There's a swear word in one song!"

That is what many of you sound like and it sucks, to get to the point.

Dogstar 05-26-2004 11:56 PM

Quote:

My point was that you people are so vicious when ripping on people. Tone it down. A simple, "OK, but I disagree" would do just fine. Not a "Who are you to say that, you asshole?

You exaggerate. I, for one, did not call you names. I think you are a tad sensitive. Have you been to CreedPit? Now that place is vicious.

Quote:

You suck and Stapp is God.
Please stop putting words in people's mouths.

Quote:

...You've never heard any of it so shut the hell up!!
See previous.

Sorry, but I still find it hard that someone who was 8 when Creed started playing together would have a clue about them before MOP was released. I could see you being a fan after MOP came out in '97, which would have made you around 11.