CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Its easier if you're born beautiful (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9081)

aussiecreeder 05-06-2005 10:25 AM

Its easier if you're born beautiful

I won't type out the article but I read this article in my daily paper today which basically argued that parents treat their good-looking kids better than those who were hit with the ugly stick at birth. It also said (and this was all backed up by scientific research if its accurate who knows?) that those who are better looking on average have incomes 5% greater than those plainer looking folks. however those who were really good-looking (particulary women) were penalised cause people thought they were airheads! (hehe). for men, being tall and slender meant you were more likely to have a higher income those shorter and fatter amongst us.

so this raises one question? these parents are discriminating against these ugly children who look just like them? LOL

titan9 05-06-2005 11:26 AM

I've seen the article you mentioned, Aussie. I can't believe parents are actually like that. Your parents are the two people that you expect to get unconditional love from, and yet you don't get that because you're average looking and not as pretty as sister A or brother B? Ridiculous. And where did the average looks come from? The parents! Duh. Yet they're penalizing you for looking just like them!:rolleyes:

I also think it's stupid that employers will give(based on this study) higher salaries to those who are better looking than to those who are average looking. Shouldn't it be based on ability and education, not looks? That's big time discrimination, imo. I'm not about to judge my looks, so I really don't know which side I'm on, lol. I just hope that when I get a job, I don't get discriminated against because of my looks.

Xterminator27 05-06-2005 07:11 PM

Shit im tall and slender

SCORE FREE MONEEEY

Higher_Desire 05-06-2005 08:31 PM

As my friend Rob said... "Life is so much easier when you're a hot girl."

H-D :pimp:

creedsister 05-06-2005 11:35 PM

People are morons I was such adorable Lit Girl :D i will admit its easier to con parents when you a great looking kid :D haaaaaaaaaaa cant argue

RMadd 05-07-2005 01:53 AM

i would think that these findings prolly would tend to be accurate. not sure what would motivate them to be harsher towards the uglier child, exactly, but that's something Colin & his fellow psychos can figure out. psychologists, rather.
and the income would seem to be quite logical, as well. i guess it's just inherent discrimination. we've, by and large, learned to view tall and thin as attractive growing up, while short and fat is, of course, shunned. and that translates from hollywood to everyday life. and then there's the "dumb blonde" stereotype, and prolly a common belief that hot chicks can't be smart. i personally, would hire the hot chick as a secretary which, of course, would provide a lesser salary than, say, being a "regular" employee (in the sense that she doesn't answer calls and run errands all day for her superior)

aussiecreeder 05-07-2005 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
i would think that these findings prolly would tend to be accurate. not sure what would motivate them to be harsher towards the uglier child, exactly, but that's something Colin & his fellow psychos can figure out. psychologists, rather.
and the income would seem to be quite logical, as well. i guess it's just inherent discrimination. we've, by and large, learned to view tall and thin as attractive growing up, while short and fat is, of course, shunned. and that translates from hollywood to everyday life. and then there's the "dumb blonde" stereotype, and prolly a common belief that hot chicks can't be smart. i personally, would hire the hot chick as a secretary which, of course, would provide a lesser salary than, say, being a "regular" employee (in the sense that she doesn't answer calls and run errands all day for her superior)

it probably isn't a concious decision as you state, just something we do without thinking. i guess it is something we have to be concious about. you just have to hope you're decent looking! LOL

RMadd 05-07-2005 12:44 PM

i didn't necessarily say it was conscious. it really is something that is always there, but that we don't always think about. i would say, given otherwise equal candidates, the employer would be inclined to hire the more attractive of the two (unless she's supasupafine lol). so i guess, before long, we're gonna have Affirmative Action for fatties and hotties.

Ivan_Creed 05-14-2005 03:05 AM

It is ridiculous, but I guess there is some truth in physical discrimination... I am against it, by asking the question of '..defining the beautiful..'....
Sic, really... :mad: :wtf:

aussiecreeder 05-15-2005 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
i didn't necessarily say it was conscious. it really is something that is always there, but that we don't always think about. i would say, given otherwise equal candidates, the employer would be inclined to hire the more attractive of the two (unless she's supasupafine lol). so i guess, before long, we're gonna have Affirmative Action for fatties and hotties.

affirmtative action is flawed for the simple fact that employers are trying to hire more women or "coloured" people simply for that reason. what happened to just employing the best possible employee no matter what gender or race?