CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   best non-frontmen singers? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=8279)

aussiecreeder 12-28-2004 03:51 AM

best non-frontmen singers?

my favs would be;

-noel gallagher (oasis) who i prefer above liam and has written some great songs.
-jerry cantrall who of course was in alice in chains. i think AIC must have being breaking some sort of fairness law having perhaps the best secondary and primary vocalist in the same band. any man who can write songs like "down in a hole" and "man in a box" is alright by me.
billy howerdel- (a perfect circle) did back-up on songs like "judith" but he really got to shine on their latest offering on songs like "peace, love and understanding" and "freedom of choice".
mark tremonti-doesn't seem to be that confident in his singing but i like his voice in "my own prison" and back-up singing in countless creed and AB tunes. i hope he does a project someday where he has the primary singing duties.

i'll think of more i'm sure but the first two are probably in a league of their own in this respect.

Wylde-Tremonti 12-28-2004 01:30 PM

-um... Bassist for Staind dunno his name...
-Nick Catanese (Black Label Society)... Nick Never get's any recognition because he only plays live and never plays on the CDs. But without Nick BLS simply COULD NOT PLAY LIVE.
-Carl Bell (Fuel) He's an awesome singer and writes 95% of fuel's songs... i think Brett Scallions wrote the lyrics of Knives and maybe some from their CD Sunburn

revisfoot 12-28-2004 02:20 PM

Dude, the guitarist from Tantric! He sings better than Hugo (Tantric's frontman).

Also, you have to hand props to Tremonti. Just listen to "My Own Prison," or any of the other songs he lent vocals to. The guy can SING. I'm glad he got to do some more vocals with Alter Bridge.

aussiecreeder 12-28-2004 08:09 PM

yeah the guys from fuel and tantric are good and i'ld agree that hugo isn't their best vocalist although he's got that voice that was so popular a few years ago. tremonti can surely sing and i'ld love to hear at least a couple of the demos with his vocals on them. i don't think any of those guys touch gallagher or cantrall though. someone i did forget was dave grohl who of course was in nirvana who has a better voice than cobain IMO. another one is matt cameron who has drummed for soundgarden and pearl jam and he is the singer for his own group "wellwater conspiracy".

Wylde-Tremonti 12-29-2004 02:44 PM

Clint Lowerly (sp?) of Sevendust

fly1853 12-29-2004 03:24 PM

Mitch James of Crossfade

rabidgopher04 12-29-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly1853
Mitch James of Crossfade

which one is that? the guitarist or the dj guy?

fly1853 12-29-2004 04:01 PM

the bass player/back up voals

Wylde-Tremonti 12-29-2004 04:24 PM

I didn't think he was very good... at least live...

fly1853 12-29-2004 04:28 PM

I heard them live on the radio and I thought he was very good. Maybe he had an off day?

Steve 12-29-2004 04:35 PM

I really like the guitarist from Nickelback - many of their songs when performed live, both Chad Kroeger and Ryan Peake sounds amazing when they sing together. In fact, Ryan did sing a song with the band while on tour - Super Bon Bon - and he sounded good as lead as well :)

aussiecreeder 12-29-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve
I really like the guitarist from Nickelback - many of their songs when performed live, both Chad Kroeger and Ryan Peake sounds amazing when they sing together. In fact, Ryan did sing a song with the band while on tour - Super Bon Bon - and he sounded good as lead as well :)

I've never heard them live (well apart from the odd live song on the radio which isn't the same) but I do know a couple of people that have seen them live that loved them. One guy in particular isn't your average Nickelback fan and they won him over to such an extent he bought Silver Side Up although he said there are only 6 good songs on the album. I don't think anything beats the harmonising between Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrall however! *wink to Kerri*

jango 01-02-2005 10:29 PM

Stone Gossard

aussiecreeder 01-03-2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jango
Stone Gossard

ummm he's good for a bit of light relief but i don't think stone singing mankind or dont gimme no lip compares to noel or jerry lets be honest.

DekWannaBFlea 01-06-2005 04:17 AM

John Frusciante has some killer backing vocals on many of the Peppers tracks, in fact he sing with his mom on "Under the bridge". Pretty good stuff.