CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Scott Stapp Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Stapp will be playing Creed songs on tour!! (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=7705)

The Lithium 10-15-2004 09:50 AM

Stapp will be playing Creed songs on tour!!

This SUCKS big time!!

I just downloaded a fresh interview with him from PBF, and he said he will be playing Creed songs on his tour, which is awful!! Flip, Mark and Brian were such a big part of that band, it's not fair to them or the fans! He also played Higher live acoustic in the studio, now he did it really well, but it was still awful!! That's Mark's song Goddammit! It felt like he was playing a cover! AB have decided to never ever play a Creed song, and that is, to me, the right decision.

Very disappointing!

RMadd 10-15-2004 10:19 AM

calm down there.... after all, he did write most o' the lyrics... and if he wants to take a different approach than AB is, so what?

Trimontana 10-15-2004 10:27 AM

I think Scott can do whatever he wants to do. At th end of the day he wrote the lyrics os the song so what!!!! AB is offering something new, something fresh, a new vision all of them share. Scott doesnīt need to ask anyone what he needs to sing...we will see the results of his solo career. Any way i wish him good luck.

The Lithium 10-15-2004 10:28 AM

I'm still disappointed with him!

TeriB19 10-15-2004 11:15 AM

I just hope this doesn't turn into an ownership thing where one decides no one is allowed to use his lyrics/music like the Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fiasco. I'm not sure I'd want to see Stapp doing Creed songs unless his original stuff sucked.

Bridge of Clay 10-15-2004 11:51 AM

I'm ok with WAWO, when he does it... and DSD too. as for the other, not a good idea at all.

Steve 10-15-2004 11:58 AM

I am eagerly awaiting Stapp's solo material so I can judge how good his music will be, but to me saying that he'll play Creed material will simply "degenerate" him and his solo tour into a "living on the fame of Creed" even more. Yes I know him and AB will continue to get the "former members of Creed" thing, probably for years to come, but by going out and playing Creed songs when you aren't Creed seems to me like he wants to live off that fame. That's fine and all, it doesn't bother me any. However I think to all the die-hard fans it's disrespectful. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be cool to hear AB do a Creed song here or there but I agree with and understand their decision not to do that. Same with AB doing Mayfield Four songs.

This would be like Audioslave going out on tour and mixing in Rage or Soundgarden songs into their setlist. They aren't Rage or Soundgarden, they are Audioslave now. Let's stick to new material.

Dogstar 10-15-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeriB19
I just hope this doesn't turn into an ownership thing where one decides no one is allowed to use his lyrics/music like the Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fiasco.

Same here. The last thing they need is to have something else to divide them further and erode the chance to at least mend fences down the road and be friends.

I didn't want AB doing Creed songs and I wouldn't want Scott to do them, either, on his first solo tour. It's just too soon after the breakup. I just can't picture Scott up there singing and having somebody else playing the instruments. I know Chris Cornell played a few Soundgarden tunes (some acoustically) on his solo tour, and it's still weird to have that without the rest of Soundgarden.
I think it's true, what Steve said, that it will be perceived as Scott living off Creed fame because we all know he had his share of critics even at the height of Creed's fame.

The Lithium 10-15-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay
I'm ok with WAWO, when he does it... and DSD too. as for the other, not a good idea at all.

Yeah, okay, I agree with that. It's also okay if he would like to sing "Lullaby", since he wrote both lyrics and music for that one!

Jooji_2 10-15-2004 02:22 PM

Maybe he just doesn't want to do an entire tour playing the same what, eleven or twelve songs from a solo album every night....I don't have the financial resources to travel from city to city to see one band play....but ya know all those people who have seen multiple AB shows.....are seeing the exact same show each time, what with maybe one cover song thrown in.

Everybody is actin like he's gonna do a full blown Creed concert, when actually he may only be referring to one or two songs a night, and throwing in a few of the classic rock cover songs he's already alluded to. I'm guessing he would sing WAWO...most people expect him to sing it, considering the source of the inspiration for it. :D

The Lithium 10-15-2004 02:29 PM

One or two Creed songs each night is one or two Creed songs too much!

heinzel 10-15-2004 02:45 PM

when Stapp plays some creed songs acoutisc, then it's ok with me. I mean him alone on the guitar. But, when he plays them live with a band....

I would laugh my ass of, seeing another guitarist playing tremonti shit. I mean think about the idea, that another band with stapp plays creed songs. That's so freaking stupid...

Jooji_2 10-15-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lithium
One or two Creed songs each night is one or two Creed songs too much!

That's your opinion. I'm sure that Stapp will take it to heart. Maybe Alter Bridge should play "Bullets"....that was never one of my favorites...never skipped it...but its not one of my favs...but it does fit in with what they are doing currently. :D

So....once a band is no longer, their songs should never be played again? What about all those Creed tribute bands....hell there is even a Beatles tribute band touring the country right now. A Perfect Circle has even re-recorded John Lennon's Imagine...who woulda thunk. :D

Dogstar 10-15-2004 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jooji_2
Maybe he just doesn't want to do an entire tour playing the same what, eleven or twelve songs from a solo album every night....I don't have the financial resources to travel from city to city to see one band play....but ya know all those people who have seen multiple AB shows.....are seeing the exact same show each time, what with maybe one cover song thrown in.

With the exception of a few bands (Pearl Jam, for one), most bands do pretty much the same set list, maybe mixing up the order or changing one or two tunes. AB has only one album to work with, so obviously they would have the same list of songs every night.

Quote:

Everybody is actin like he's gonna do a full blown Creed concert...
Hyperbole. Everyone is not acting this way.

Dogstar 10-15-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jooji_2
That's your opinion. I'm sure that Stapp will take it to heart. Maybe Alter Bridge should play "Bullets"....that was never one of my favorites...never skipped it...but its not one of my favs...but it does fit in with what they are doing currently. :D

:rolleyes:

Quote:

So....once a band is no longer, their songs should never be played again? What about all those Creed tribute bands....hell there is even a Beatles tribute band touring the country right now. A Perfect Circle has even re-recorded John Lennon's Imagine...who woulda thunk. :D
Tribute bands are not the same as former band members playing their songs with people other than the original band.

musiclover291 10-15-2004 03:55 PM

I think we have to just wait and see. I will reserve judgement untill he starts touring.

RMadd 10-15-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinzel
when Stapp plays some creed songs acoutisc, then it's ok with me. I mean him alone on the guitar. But, when he plays them live with a band....

agreed... i'm alright w/ acoustic, but a backup band that's not Creed? fuck no

The Lithium 10-15-2004 05:59 PM

That's what I'm saying!

StillACreedFan 10-15-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
agreed... i'm alright w/ acoustic, but a backup band that's not Creed? fuck no

I agree 100%.

ctfan 10-15-2004 08:41 PM

Quote:

This SUCKS big time!!

I just downloaded a fresh interview with him from PBF, and he said he will be playing Creed songs on his tour, which is awful!! Flip, Mark and Brian were such a big part of that band, it's not fair to them or the fans! He also played Higher live acoustic in the studio, now he did it really well, but it was still awful!! That's Mark's song Goddammit! It felt like he was playing a cover! AB have decided to never ever play a Creed song, and that is, to me, the right decision.

Very disappointing!

Mark has made it pretty clear that he's pretty much ashamed of Creed and it's music. I remember the comment he made about WAWO, and how people shouldn't remember them for that one song. Funny thing is...when I hear that song, Mark doesn't come to mind.

If Alter Bridge wants to perform Creed songs, I guess they could. I don't really see anyone stopping them from doing it. It would be hard though...because Myle's voice just doesn't fit. Maybe that's why they haven't. :)

Dogstar 10-15-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfan
Mark has made it pretty clear that he's pretty much ashamed of Creed and it's music. I remember the comment he made about WAWO, and how people shouldn't remember them for that one song.

Could you cite the source on this one? Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember him saying that, or is that your interpretation of things he has said about Creed and its music?

TeriB19 10-15-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctfan
Mark has made it pretty clear that he's pretty much ashamed of Creed and it's music.

Where in the WIDE world did you get this from??? I'd love to see this documented someplace. Please post proof or retract.

Mark et al have moved on from Creed, but I'm sorry, I know Mark's never said he's been ashamed of Creed or their music. Perhaps he was ashamed of some of the behavior, but ashamed of the music?? When he wrote almost all of the music?? Really. I want what you're smoking. :smokin:

Trimontana 10-15-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Could you cite the source on this one? Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember him saying that, or is that your interpretation of things he has said about Creed and its music?

Man iīm with you again, every one insists about that Mark said this...or maybe itīs that you wanted that Mark would said...but he never did.

StillACreedFan 10-15-2004 10:18 PM

Quote:

I remember the comment he made about WAWO, and how people shouldn't remember them for that one song.
He's right though. WAWO isn't a great example of what Creed was.

Steve 10-15-2004 11:21 PM

Quote:

Mark has made it pretty clear that he's pretty much ashamed of Creed and it's music. I remember the comment he made about WAWO, and how people shouldn't remember them for that one song. Funny thing is...when I hear that song, Mark doesn't come to mind.

I'd like to see a source on this one as well. However giving you the benefit of the doubt, so what if Mark said that. It's a true statement isn't it? Why would you want your band to be known for one song? That's a "one-hit-wonder" band. Mark would be absolutely right in saying that. Sure, WAWO brought in all the fans when it was released as a single. That was the song that went mainstream. However there was much more to Creed than one song, and we all know it. I think that statement would simply mean that he doesn't want to be known as a one-hit-wonder band, which they obviously were not.

The Lithium 10-16-2004 05:15 AM

Yeah, I will join the club here, where did you find out about the fact that Mark is ashamed for great songs he have written?

aussiecreeder 10-16-2004 05:15 AM

i don't really have a problem with stapp covering a couple of creed songs a night
as long as he doesn't become creed with some orignal songs thrown it. my biggest fear is a GNR scenario.

jammy123 10-16-2004 05:17 AM

the day he performs my sacrifice .....

The Lithium 10-16-2004 08:59 AM

What about that day?

Trimontana 10-16-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammy123
the day he performs my sacrifice .....

First it was Higher and WAWO and now My sacrifice. Letīs guess what song Stapp will perform next....DSD??? or OLB???. What your recon guys??'.

Thatīs anoying!!!!!.

hockeymom97 10-16-2004 10:50 AM

Why is everything AB says being dissected. This is the exact thing everyone complained about with Stapp and now you all are doing the same.

Mark & Flip have NEVER said that they were ashamed of Creed. They have always stated they were PROUD of their accomplishments and Creed is what made them what they were today.

As far as not singing Creed songs. Mark stated in an interview that they would not be doing them out of respect to the band members. He said that it wouldn't be fair to Myles to sing them and be compared to Scott and it wouldn't be fair to Scott to hear someone else singing them. He also stated that he wanted the new band and its music to stand on its own.

How is that trying to forget about Creed and his past? Being ashamed of Creed?

I don't get that feeling at all.

Trimontana 10-16-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymom97
Why is everything AB says being dissected. This is the exact thing everyone complained about with Stapp and now you all are doing the same.

Mark & Flip have NEVER said that they were ashamed of Creed. They have always stated they were PROUD of their accomplishments and Creed is what made them what they were today.

As far as not singing Creed songs. Mark stated in an interview that they would not be doing them out of respect to the band members. He said that it wouldn't be fair to Myles to sing them and be compared to Scott and it wouldn't be fair to Scott to hear someone else singing them. He also stated that he wanted the new band and its music to stand on its own.

How is that trying to forget about Creed and his past? Being ashamed of Creed?

I don't get that feeling at all.

Iīm so happy that another person can see the reality. Thanks 1000 times. ;)

creedlvr 10-16-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymom97

What interview did Mark say these things? I've heard him say that he wouldn't be playing Creed songs, but not in that much detail.

Anyway, I don't think it's a great idea for Scott to play Creed songs just because I think it would take away from his solo efforts. However, the thought of never hearing any of those songs played live again is also very sad.

I do think, though, that it would be alot harder for AB to pull it off only because it just wouldn't sound right to hear a voice other than Scott's singing those songs. Some may disagree, but to me, the voice is what makes the difference. If Scott sings and the backing band plays the songs properly, the songs will sound the same. That's not to say that some might not be offended to see another band playing music that Mark wrote. I'm just saying that the songs would sound the same. They wouldn't with Myles singing them.

I think Scott should focus on his solo stuff. However, if he changes the music and sings songs like WAWO ... ones that he mostly had influence on, I guess it's not so bad. Like I said, I just think it's a shame to never hear such great songs sung live ever again.

Steve 10-16-2004 02:07 PM

It was in the November issue of Metal Edge magazine. And it was Scott Phillips who said it.

I think, for us, it's not fair to Myles to come into this and make it a Creed tribute band with three members, and still do original music, and it's not fair to the fans that come to see it. Scott was definately a big part of Creed, with his voice, and I don't think it's fair to anybody, all the way around. We just want to be our own band, that's a new band, and have people specifically come to see that, not just to hear My Own Prison.

creedlvr 10-16-2004 03:39 PM

Thanks Steve!

Shadow 10-16-2004 04:03 PM

I'm glad Scott will be singing the songs he wrote when he was part of Creed. After hearing him sing Higher and WAWO this past week, any sadness I still had about the break-up went out the window.

The Lithium 10-16-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm glad Scott will be singing the songs he wrote when he was part of Creed. After hearing him sing Higher and WAWO this past week, any sadness I still had about the break-up went out the window.

WAWO, where did you got that one? The PBF board?

I'mRational 10-16-2004 04:24 PM

What I don't understand is that the same people who thought it would be wrong for AB to play Creed material are the same people who think it is alright for Stapp to do Creed material.

Shadow 10-17-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Hey Lith - it's up on the PBF board. Once again, Scott was amazing.

And just FYI - I was able to get through to Scott when he was on the radio last night on Open House Party. I asked him about playing Creed songs and his response to me bascially was - "Why shouldn't I play the songs I wrote". I agree with him 100%. He was a pleasure to speak to.

BobbyMcGee 10-17-2004 08:57 PM

Quote:

This SUCKS big time!!

Very disappointing!

Why is it disappointing. Scott wrote those songs he can sing them if he wants to. AB has already said they won't do Creed songs. So that is their decision. Scott is proud of his time with Creed as well he should be. Too bad the others don't feel that way.

Quote:

Yep! And Scott did an awesome job!
Infant depakote