CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   people that cut themselves (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5453)

crest tattoo 01-07-2004 11:03 PM

BTW, Marlsy, I LOVE your avatar!

hayley 01-07-2004 11:30 PM

Wow, that was really brave of you to open up just like that, thanks for sharing that with us. :hugs:

I had a friend who cut herself once, 2 friends actually. It wasn't nice at all to see them go through pain and get to the stage where they had to physicaly hurt themselves. I didn't know what to do, and when you are in that position, you feel helpless and bad that you can't do anything, but there really was nothing I could do, I couldn't do much, as the only person that could help them out of their trouble was themselves. But they pulled through it. Just a shame that they have the scars now. Always there to remind them of what they did.

crest tattoo 01-07-2004 11:36 PM

Sometimes "those scars" aren't always so bad. They remind you of what you got through. I look at them and think God was watching over me and kept me alive, and I am thankful.
My mother-in-law had radiation and has was burned from it badly on her neck. She looks at it everyday and it hurts her. I told her, "Mom, you have a scar. Aren't you glad you are alive to see it? I know I am." You can look at all situations two ways, be thankful or be angry.

hayley 01-07-2004 11:38 PM

Yeah that's true, good point. I guess when I look at their arms I just see and feel the pain that they went through, you know? That's all I can see because I got so emotionally involved, I can't help but feel some of their pain.

Xterminator27 01-07-2004 11:40 PM

i kid in my school accedently cut part of his finger off

why did he cut himself, we will never know, probly because he wasnt looking at the safety rules

hayley 01-07-2004 11:45 PM

I remember one time when it was the last day of school and my class were taking down all the pictures off the wall, there were newspaper clippings hanging from the ceiling, I got up on one chair, and my male friend got up on another chair beside me, he had scissors and I didn't, so I went to grap one newspaper clipping with my hands and he went to grab it with his scissors, and off goes the tip of my finger :thud: Not alot but I can still see the slope where he cut it :roll: It was disgusting there was blood everywhere....:crying:

Anyway, off topic!

Julbright 01-08-2004 09:01 AM

I just want to clarify for you all to make sure you have correct information. I am a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor. Self abusing is a symptom - it can occur within a variety of diagnoses which can be severe like schizophrenia or not - intelligence certainly has nothing to do with it - and the people who engage in this behavior are suffering pain and this is a maladaptive coping skill - they don't need to be judged. Mental illness occurs just as any other illness does - people do not ask to be mentally ill nor do they cause it - and they need treatment just as someone with diabetes or heart disease does. I know it doesn't make rational sense how something like that would be helpful to a person but many people engage in senseless behaviors everyday. We need to support not understand.

JOY my friend that was very brave of you to go public with your story but to me that just shows that you have dealt with it appropriately and have integrated it into your history. I am proud of you and happy that you have dealt with it so well. Love ya!

mushroomy2k 01-08-2004 09:15 AM

i wanted to appologize to you geek2004 for puting the slapsmiley in
my first post that was wrong please forgive me.
you have many friends here who would be glad to help you in anyway.
just having people to talk with can help a whole lot.
i never get heartburn but last night i ate two peaces of lemon and
it made my chest hurt so bad i thought i was having a heart attack
and i was scared to go to sleep,so i kept thinking about my post
here and it made me sad must be my karma getting back.
take care and we allways will be here for you.

Aimee 01-08-2004 09:32 AM

Yes, Joy thank you for sharing! PTSD is a real problem for anyone who has gone through any kind of trauma. Thanks also to Julbright for your educated input. It's not always a mental illness that makes people go through these things. Very seemingly "normal" people who have been traumatised can also have these feelings of worthlessness.

TeriB19 01-08-2004 09:51 AM

Joy, kudos to you, my dear, for sharing your experiences with us. Very very brave. I have never dealt with this matter and any education on it is always a plus. Thanks to all of you for opening up and telling what you all know.

Julbright 01-08-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee
Yes, Joy thank you for sharing! PTSD is a real problem for anyone who has gone through any kind of trauma. Thanks also to Julbright for your educated input. It's not always a mental illness that makes people go through these things. Very seemingly "normal" people who have been traumatised can also have these feelings of worthlessness.

Thank you for pointing this out - let me rephrase somethings - I was referring to all these syndromes as mental illness when really the origins of things can be quite varying. I still think that mentally ill people are "normal" and can live very normal lives with the right treatment - of course there are varying degrees of everything and there will always be people bedridden for medical illnesses and likewise people impaired by mental illness. I do see what you were saying too though that people who experience trauma may develop a psycholocial response like PTSD and such and those people tecnically weren't mentally ill (biologically speaking) - the environment imposed trauma on them. I think that is what you mean.

The common denominator though is that it isn't something to be judged. Just as some people can be around 15 kids with a cold and never get it but I could look across the room at a kid with a drippy nose and come down with a full blown 2 week long cold - or the person who smokes for 50 years with no diseases caused from it and the person who gets lung cancer after smoking for a small number of years - people's bodies respond differently to things and it is just the way it is.

I am glad to see the outpouring of support for these folks who are talking here!

GeeK_2004 01-08-2004 10:16 AM

for the people that ACTUALLY cut....how can they stop from cutting ??

SCOTTSMYMAN 01-08-2004 10:51 AM

To Joy you are a very brave person to share your experience with us so now let me be the next! I used to cut too. I was much younger though around 13 is when I started and it came form the same thing, a rape! I didn't know how to fully deal with the rape because when it happened I was only 12 years old(I was a virgin) and they were boys I knew from my neighborhood! I never did deal with it or tell me parents so in order to deal I cut. It helped dull the pain of everything else that was reeling around in my brain! I was also drinking all the time! I attempted suidcide when I was 15 but it was more a cry for help than anything even though I felt like I really did just want to die! I was hospitalized for several months and while I was there the rape came to light after 3 years! My mom of course wanted to get into all the legal aspects but I just wanted to move on. It was soon after that that I stopped because I was getting help and seeing a councilor on a regular basis! I learned how to deal with the pain of what had happened and as time went I on Steve showed me what it was all supposed to be about! I met him shortly after! It took alot of time but I've been ok and now have beecome a very strong person because of it!

Julbright 01-08-2004 11:17 AM

You folks are brave and I am proud of you. It isn't easy to share those things, and it is obvious to me that you do so in an effort to help others. Thanks. If someone is cutting, they need professional help. It is a serious problem and it won't just go away if you try to make yourself stop. Counselors can be very cool and normal - I am :D - and they can help you sort out what is behind all the pain and get some healthy ways to cope with it.

GeeK_2004 01-08-2004 01:23 PM

If someone cuts them selves too deep....can they kill themselves ???