CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Faith / Religion (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Food for Thought... (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=1031)

Amish Warlord 12-27-2002 01:50 AM

Food for Thought...

Thomas Paine, who wrote "common Sense", which was very important in starting the revolutionary war, also did something else. Something, that may make many of you a little iffy. He wrote a book called "the age of reason", which critiques every religion. It's not for the faint of heart.. and let me say this. if you can read the entire book, think about it, and still be religious: more power to you. Nothing will ever change your beliefs. Now.. to prove that i'm not trolling.. i'll post this, a direct quote from the book:

"I do not mean by this declaration to condemn those who believe otherwise; they have the same right to their belief as I have to mine. But it is necessary to the happiness of man, that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe."

Go to your library, check it out, give it a try. It's very interesting....

-James

souldancer 12-27-2002 02:25 AM

Thanks for the reference, -

More words to live by...
" Take all this pride
And leave it behind
Because one day it ends
One day we die
Believe what you will
That is your right
But I choose to win
So I choose to fight"
==CREED

Altair 12-28-2002 01:26 AM

Fascinating.

I would even bet that most of the Framers of the Constitution shared Paine's ideas. Afterall, fundamentally, the Constitution recognizes the individual as Thomas seems to promote in the above quotation.

Bridge of Clay 12-28-2002 04:01 PM

why all this anger against those who have a belief, a religion?

to each, its own... let each one live their freedom the way they want to...

to me, its proved that living a life having faith in Jesus second advent is worthier than living and not believe in Him, even if it all wasn´t true...

StappsSaviour 01-04-2003 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
why all this anger against those who have a belief, a religion?

to each, its own... let each one live their freedom the way they want to...

to me, its proved that living a life having faith in Jesus second advent is worthier than  living and not believe in Him, even if it all wasn´t true...

WOW!!!
did u just write tat off da top of ur head?
That is so true tho!!!!
A-MAZE-ING!!!!!!!!:eek:

Weathered 01-05-2003 12:00 AM

we studied him in literature class....real boring shit

StappsSaviour 01-15-2003 12:54 AM

woah........u must b boring if u think that that is boring!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

shunammite 01-15-2003 09:37 AM

It's just that "Jesus" is so OPEN TO INTERPRETATION. His Name has such EMOTIONAL VALUE, that everyone wants to use it, but what they really mean may or may not conform to who the Creator really IS.

"I Am."

For so many people, "Jesus" means DISTANCING YOURSELF FROM YOUR FELLOW MEN IN THE NAME OF GOD.

And maybe you have to go through that, as a part of maturing.

But the REAL Jesus is about "giving Love to All."

Fear not for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to ALL PEOPLE, FOR UNTO YOU IS BORN THIS DAY IN THE CITY OF DAVID A SAVIOUR...

Jesus means Savior. We all need one. We are all dying and disappointing ourselves as we do it. But we've learned to be a bit cagey with all the human versions of this "savior". Look inside, and see whether they lied--or not. Blessed art thou Simon Barjonah, FLESH AND BLOOD HATH NOT REVEALED THIS UNTO THEE.

krzycreedbabe 01-24-2003 09:46 PM

Re: Food for Thought...

Quote:

Originally posted by Amish Warlord
<b>Thomas Paine, who wrote "common Sense", which was very important in starting the revolutionary war, also did something else. &nbsp;Something, that may make many of you a little iffy. &nbsp;He wrote a book called "the age of reason", which critiques every religion. &nbsp;It's not for the faint of heart.. and let me say this. &nbsp;if you can read the entire book, think about it, and still be religious: &nbsp;more power to you. &nbsp;Nothing will ever change your beliefs. &nbsp;Now.. to prove that i'm not trolling.. i'll post this, a direct quote from the book:

"I do not mean by this declaration to condemn those who believe otherwise; they have the same right to their belief as I have to mine. But it is necessary to the happiness of man, that he be mentally faithful to himself. Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe."

Go to your library, check it out, give it a try. &nbsp;It's very interesting....

-James </b>

sounds interesting...maybe i will read it...how long?

Weathered 01-25-2003 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StappsSaviour
woah........u must b boring if u think that that is boring!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

nah i think it was actually my teacher who made it boring...shes boring