CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Music Matters (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Staind-14 shades of grey (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5655)

hide 01-24-2004 10:47 PM

Staind-14 shades of grey

I must admit I only just bought this album but its really good. I have no doubt that Aaron's voice has improved although perhaps they went a little overboard on the ballads. One song (the one about his daugter) is very WAWO like. "Layne" which I knew along with "Price to Play" is very touching and I think is a much better tribute then Pearl Jam's. Price to Play is the obvious radio hit and has a great hook. Perhaps next album they can retain the great melodies but no lose so much hardness.

Dogstar 01-24-2004 10:55 PM

I bought this one just for the Layne song...I really was kind of disappointed in it. They've just about abandoned the hard, kick-a** sound of Dysfunction, which I love...Mudshovel is the song that got me into them, and it remains one of my favorites of theirs. I really only listen to the Layne song on that CD...

I think it's hard to compare their Layne tribute to PJ's...I like PJ's because of the raw emotion of it. It seems Ed just recorded exactly what he was feeling at that time and I admire that. I also like Staind's, though, too. They performed it on one of the late-night talk shows just after the CD came out and it was really sweet. It was nice to see they abandoned the usual lets-play-the-hit-single-to-sell-more-CDs approach. I think Aaron really was hit hard by Layne's death.

hide 01-24-2004 11:19 PM

it was something personal not just to make a buck i feel! Ed's seems more raw and heartfelt but its not as listenable and attacking other singers at that time is perhaps not the greatest timing. "Layne" isn't "Price to Play" they could have made it a hit single if they wanted to. Bands have to grow I guess, as you grow as songwriters sometimes you lose that hardness. Hopefully they rediscover it next album. I love their ballads but there are probably too many on this album. That line in the song about his daughter "I'll always love you, the way a father should love his daughter" certainly makes me think.

facelessman 01-24-2004 11:53 PM

ive been meaning to get that, but im short on cash

Dogstar 01-25-2004 12:02 AM

Yeah, I agree, hide. I think both efforts were pretty sincere with regard to Layne. Boy, I miss his voice :(...

hayley 01-25-2004 12:44 AM

I only like "So Far Away" Well, I used to be in love with that song when it first came out, but now it's kinda old. Staind are okay, but I wouldn't buy any of their CD's.

RMadd 01-25-2004 03:07 PM

14 Shades is among my favorite 4 or 5 CD's... love it! Bought it around the time it came out (hard to believe that was already a good 8 mos. or so ago). Also hard to believe Fred Durst discovered these guys (thank God they cut ties w/ that cockmonger).

musicmind226 01-25-2004 09:17 PM

Love it, alot of people seem to hate 14 shades. I think it shows alot of growth, meledy and such. The later half of the album I think is sonic ear candy. So it's more mellow and accesable.

Hey you can read my review on amazon.com, just look for [email protected].

Dogstar 01-25-2004 09:36 PM

I guess it's too mellow for me. I like their first one the best.

RMadd 01-25-2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I guess it's too mellow for me. I like their first one the best.

"Tormented"?

Dogstar 01-25-2004 10:44 PM

The first major-label CD was Dysfunction, yes? That's the one to which I refer. I don't have Tormented.

RMadd 01-25-2004 11:34 PM

gotcha... Tormented ain't that great, anyhoo.

Agent D 01-26-2004 05:30 PM

I love this album. Personally, I think it's Staind's best work but that's just me.

RMadd 01-27-2004 12:01 AM

It's not just you... I thought Break the Cycle was fantabulous, but 14 Shades of Grey is even better.

Agent D 01-28-2004 10:50 AM

Haha cool. This album really is badass.