CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   MLB Playoffs! (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9715)

RMadd 10-06-2005 02:06 AM

MLB Playoffs!

Well, after night two of baseball's playoffs, looks like the defending champion Crap Sox are in the hole to the ChiSox, 0-2. It's a shame, b/c I sure would have liked to see my Cardinals beat Bahstan in 4 or 5 in the World Series to send the current Busch Stadium out with a bang.
And speaking of my Birds, they're up 1 on the Padres, who admittedly did make it close by jumping over the Cards' inconsistent-of-late bullpen.
Yanks & Halos all square at 1: if the Red Sox make it to the ALCS, then I'd prefer Anah... er.... Los Angeles to win; but if the ChiSox do, I could care less.
And the 'Stros are up on the Braves 1-0 as well. I've got to say, I'm not much for the 'Stros or their fans, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe b/c they're mostly just fair-weather fans? I dunno. I mean, it's not like they've got the a-holes Beltran or Kent on their anymore. I guess I just want to see the Cards beat someone else in the NLCS this time around, that's all.
Anyone else w/ any comments on this '05 postseason?

Dogstar 10-06-2005 02:32 AM

Heh, we have those other Sox just where we want them...not...hehehehe. Tonight was pretty pathetic for my boys. Fricken GAFFE-anino pulled a hideous Buckner...Oh wait, that's redundant :D...Wells, that ex-SKANKEE trash pitcher whom I've never liked this year, STILL should have shaken it off and gotten the outs. CHOKING DOG! They both need to pay fines for that display tonight. At least the SKANKEES lost, haha. :D....I'm rooting for Houston. I'm sick of the fricken Braves. They don't win crap. All those division titles and what, one World Series? I hope the Strohs sweep 'em.

RMadd 10-08-2005 01:26 AM

how 'bout them Sox? the Red variety, of course... swept, and in the LDS. it's not like getting swept in the world series or nothing lol.

Dogstar 10-08-2005 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
how 'bout them Sox? the Red variety, of course... swept, and in the LDS. it's not like getting swept in the world series or nothing lol.

Man, they sucked ass in this series. I'm extremely disappointed. But then again, they didn't have the pitching they had last year. To be honest, I didn't expect them to repeat, but I thought they'd at least compete. The silver lining is that the SKANKEES lost tonight, too, bahahahahaha. I'm hoping the Halos get it done and knock them out as well!

RMadd 10-09-2005 03:39 AM

Swwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Here's to hoping my Birds won't play the 'Stros again. I'd kind of like to beat up on the Braves this time around lol.
Truthfully, I'm a bit unnerved by the Cards' relief pitching, tho. They sorta tanked the last week or 2 of the season, and have been far from spectacular in 3 games, w/ the Padres having the possibility of tying the game w/ runners on in each of the games. Luckily, Izzy's been able to get the 3rd out with no problem, but I'm waiting for the time when the other team takes advantage of the shitty 'pen.

Chase 10-09-2005 04:16 AM

I just got back from game 3 of the NLCS. Granted, my Padres were a joke to everyone outside of San Diego. But you know what? We were the best of the not so wild NL west. So, we deserved our spot in the playoffs. We beat ourselves and when you make mistakes against the Cards, they capitalize on them. I will say this though: The Cardinal bullpen is going to make St. Louis self destruct in the NLCS if they pitch like the way they did against the Padres. Of course I'm bitter watching my team and town get embarrassed by St. Louis AGAIN (the same thing happened in 1996). It's sad that money obviously buys happiness in this game. Pujols is an arrogant punk at times, but he still kicked our asses. Edmonds made a routine deep fly ball into a highlight by unecessarily jumping against the wall. LaRussa had the Cardinals bunting at times that weren't necessary... just to rub it in. We scratched and clawed back... but when you give the Cards an early lead... you're done for. Especially for San Diego... who doesn't have a real home run threat in the lineup. The most respectable guy in the Cardinal lineup is Reggie Sanders (whom I've met). Congrats to St. Louis... especially their starting pitching staff. They completely shut down my Padres. They have the best lineup in the National League... thank God Scott Rolen wasn't in there too. He ALWAYS kills us. Oh well, now we San Diegans are stuck having to root for Atlanta or Houston... whoever faces St. Louis. I'm also a Red Sox fan (I travel to Boston a lot)... but they're gone too. Now that the Cards have a few days off... they better get Izzy and the bullpen to relax... or else they may be in for a long NLCS.

Dogstar 10-09-2005 01:30 PM

I'm hoping the Astros win. I can't stand the Braves. On the AL side, I guess I'd have to root for the White Sox, even though they embarrassed my Red Sox, but hell, they haven't won anything since 1917, so they're due. Would be nice to erase the whole Black Sox thing, too.

RMadd 10-10-2005 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase
It's sad that money obviously buys happiness in this game. Pujols is an arrogant punk at times, but he still kicked our asses. Edmonds made a routine deep fly ball into a highlight by unecessarily jumping against the wall. LaRussa had the Cardinals bunting at times that weren't necessary... just to rub it in.

um... wow....
1) Pujols is hardly arrogant. Any St. Louisan knows he's probably the hardest-working Cardinal. And he's a good guy, too. There's a reason he's been up for the Hank Aaron Award.
2) Yeah, Jimmy Jack can be a bit of a showboat at times, but you don't know if he perhaps misjudged the distance of the ball, or how close he was to the fence...
3) Unnecessary bunting? Obviously the Padres got back into the games. Plus it's the playoffs, where everyone's a bit edgier, and you don't want to risk losing a game you could otherwise win. Tony's not the kind of guy to roll over when he's got a big lead, because one of his mantras is that you play a full 9 for a reason. He isn't near the top of the all-time wins list only because he's had talented players with the A's, Cards & Chi Sox. He goes for the jugular, and the fact that it's the playoffs only amplifies this desire. I'm sorry if you were irked by the fact that the Cardinals try to play aggressively the entire game. I suppose we Midwesterners are more uptight than those of you in SoCal.

RMadd 10-10-2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I'm hoping the Astros win. I can't stand the Braves. On the AL side, I guess I'd have to root for the White Sox, even though they embarrassed my Red Sox, but hell, they haven't won anything since 1917, so they're due. Would be nice to erase the whole Black Sox thing, too.

well, you're in luck! i couldn't believe it: i go to work around 1:30, the Braves are on top 5-0 in the 5th inning, Hudson's pitching a gem. get back from work, go to sportsline.com, and see the 'stros won 7-6 in 18! well, here's to hoping the Cards can batter the Rocket the way they did last year in game 7.

Dogstar 10-10-2005 11:16 AM

Hahaha, I know. That game was something, eh? I was happy because I can't stand the Braves. And you're right about the bunting. Cripes, remember a couple of years ago Cleveland came back from a 12-run deficit in the seventh inning or something to beat Seattle in 14 or 15 ininngs? I don't usually like La Russa because his pitching managing drives me absolutely insane, but I agree you should put up as many runs as you can in the playoffs, because the regular season proves that anything can happen. It wasn't as if they had a double-digit lead, either. The way bullpens are these days, no lead is safe.

RMadd 10-10-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

I don't usually like La Russa because his pitching managing drives me absolutely insane,

I remember back in '96, when he replaced Joe Torre, he wasn't terribly popular. And even as late as a couple years ago, a handful of writers & fans weren't fond of him. But I guess, what with winning and having "Mad Mike" Martz coaching in the same town, you sort of realize how good & smart he really is lol.

RMadd 10-10-2005 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ahhh, something i found terribly humorous... on ESPN's website, their daily poll asks for whom you're rooting tonight in Game 5. A recent addition to their polls is that it breaks down the vote across the US by state (as well as a cumulative int'l poll). Anyway, you can see, in the following screenshot which I took, how many states favor the Angels (a dark blue state more heavily favors them than a lighter blue state) and how many are pulling for the Yankees (similarly, darker red indicates a higher level of support in that state). But, yeah, it seems most Americans aren't to fond of the Skankees.

Chase 10-10-2005 06:13 PM

Well... San Diegans are fairly biased in their views of Pujols. 2 seasons ago Albert Pujols hit a game winning home run against the Padres (who were having a very frustrating season) and admired his home run for about a minute. The next game, Adam Eaton threw a breaking ball that hit Pujols and he mouthed off and started a bench clearing brawl between both teams.
I know what to expect from Edmonds... I've been watching him play for years. LaRussa does play to win... and he's successful as a manager. I'm not sure how he would do managing a small market team though. He's like Torre... he wins with the high profile team that he's given. Bobby Cox has proven this season that he can created a winning team with relatively average players... aside from the Jones' and Smoltz. Nevertheless, the Cards deserve a lot of credit for every 100 games they've won. They play fundamental baseball and are basically an all star team. They should win.

Dogstar 10-10-2005 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
I remember back in '96, when he replaced Joe Torre, he wasn't terribly popular. And even as late as a couple years ago, a handful of writers & fans weren't fond of him. But I guess, what with winning and having "Mad Mike" Martz coaching in the same town, you sort of realize how good & smart he really is lol.

HAHAHAHAHA, good point Martz is such an idiot. I don't know how he still has a job.

RMadd 10-12-2005 01:33 AM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA, good point Martz is such an idiot. I don't know how he still has a job.

it's funny you should mention that lol... i think it was yesterday they announced he was taking an indefinite leave of absence to deal w/ his heart condition (4-6 games, they're speculating). and i hate to see this, but it'll be kinda nice to see what a more balanced offensive attack looks like (Martz obviously loooooooooves to throw... Bulger's up in the 40-50-60 pass attempts range almost every game) with a good running game that gets a chance to get established and a passing game that can still burn you deep... but i digress.....
Game 1 of Cards-'Stros tomorrow night! And I've got fucking class when it starts! I'm really hoping he doesn't have much planned for us (it's a 3 hr class from 6-9; game starts @ 7 here I believe)