CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Creed Talk (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's w/Hestla? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=3604)

StrubesGuitar 06-30-2003 10:56 PM

What's w/Hestla?

Tell me what u think about Hestla. I play bass also and from the performances i've seen, he isn't as good as Brian Marshall. Marshall set the framework for the band for bass, and came up w/some really cool lines. Hestla plays like he's from Blink 182!

Bridge of Clay 06-30-2003 11:16 PM

his hair...

TeriB19 06-30-2003 11:21 PM

Samurai Jack!!:samurai:

JenRN 07-01-2003 12:04 AM

He has grown on me, it has taken awhile though!

tremonti.net 07-01-2003 08:26 AM

Brian Marshall is a much better bassist than Hestla. I prefer Marshall MUCH more.
________
YAMAHA XS ELEVEN
________
SHIP SALE

Marty 07-01-2003 11:42 AM

I perfer Marshall as well, but Hestla is a okay stand in.
________
Crystallmind

CollectiveSoul 07-01-2003 02:14 PM

listen to Say I live at teh beginning. i think that will cahnge ur mind

benkenobi 07-01-2003 02:30 PM

Remember people that Hestla was lead guitarist for his group Virgos and didn't even play bass for them. I think it's pretty cool he can write lyrics, sing, play guitar, and play bass. Marshall might be better on bass, but probably not so diverse in so many things in the ways of music. I mean Hestla even has his own studio at his home that Stapp has talked about.

Brian was still an awesome bassist!!!

Higher_Desire 07-01-2003 06:02 PM

I definetly think Marshall was better than Hestla, but Hestla's doing a decent job, I think.

H-D

StrubesGuitar 07-01-2003 07:29 PM

I didn't know he was the guitar player for Virgos. But Collective Soul, i think i can play Say I ALOT better. Do u play? I could give u my funked up tabs for it, it sounds awesome.

benkenobi 07-01-2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StrubesGuitar
I didn't know he was the guitar player for Virgos. But Collective Soul, i think i can play Say I ALOT better. Do u play? I could give u my funked up tabs for it, it sounds awesome.

Yeah, I think Virgos has 3 guitarists total or at least had up to 3 guitarists in their history. Brett was lead guitar.

StrubesGuitar 07-01-2003 09:50 PM

Three guitars for a band is AWESOME!

Said Eyes 07-02-2003 12:00 AM

Brian Marshall is gone for good. He aint coming back. Hestla is the next best thing in my eyes. He's got a stage presence too, which makes the show heaps of fun if youre on the left. As opposed to Mark standing in one spot the entire show, Brett jumps and moves around and he's got one hell of a voice. I'm hoping he actually joins Creed proper.

Care to explain the Blink 182 comment? If you're complaining about the bass on Weathered that was Tremonti's work. Hestla just plays the bass on tour.

StrubesGuitar 07-02-2003 09:59 PM

I know Tremonti did bass for the album. The Blink thing is him using a pick. I think it should be fingerpicked for a band like creed, so it sounds more full, and u don't hear a big ding ding sound the whole time. He prolly just uses one because he used to play guitar. I dunno, i've just never really seen him do what Marshall did, maybe he does well w/the pick.

Said Eyes 07-03-2003 05:22 AM

So you know that he didn't do any of the writing, yet you say he's not as good because Marshall came up with the frame work, the cool bass lines? Seems like thats not a fair comparison then. As for playing with a pick, its probably due to his guitarist background yes, but that doesnt mean playing with a pick is bad. I dont, but sometimes I like to just thrash around with a pick when im angry, its fun.

Next time you see them play, check out Hestla, he's great.

Human Prison82 07-03-2003 05:41 PM

I agree with what most of you guys are saying, Marshall is an amazing bassist, but he's gone... I think Brett is an amazing performer, he has various talents and brings alot more to the live show. I hope the guys will go ahead and make him a permenant member so we can hear his contribution on the next record, rather than just watch and wonder.

mikiows 07-03-2003 09:52 PM

ok guys...i signed up just so i can clear things up for you...

NEVER complain about brett being a bad bassist b/c he NEVER WAS a bassist! he has been the guitarist for ViRGOS for about 10 years now (maybe more) and is used to that and singing as a frontman...so, the only way he got to be where he is now is b/c mark tremonti was a fan of the Devine (an early incarnation of ViRGOS) and they were all friends and stuff...but he was never really used to this, so...i think brett's doing OK for what he is... :)

StrubesGuitar 07-03-2003 11:42 PM

I already saw Creed live at the Palace of Auburn Hills last November. I also downloaded some live videos, and, i dunno, it's just not the same as Marshall. Yeah, Mark Tremonti needs to get his foot of the monitor and jump around!

velocityidp 07-04-2003 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StrubesGuitar
it's just not the same as Marshall. Yeah, Mark Tremonti needs to get his foot of the monitor and jump around!

As I recall, Marshal was never one to "move around." I like Hestla at least for the fact that he moves around so much! And that head-banging little jig that he does... gah, I used to hate it but now I love it! ;) I'm not sure about his technical ability compared to Marshal (I don't know how to critique a basist), but I was impressed at least with his solo during What If at Alcatraz.

Tremonti jump around? Nah, that's just not his style. He's more about technique and pure headbangingly good guitar riffs than flashy dancing. He's more of the moody, fuming axeman that endlessly crunches out riffs. I like his more quiet yet explosive style.

mikiows 07-04-2003 02:28 PM

heh...

:tremonti: ...and that's what makes him awesome... :D

Unforgiven Fan 07-04-2003 03:33 PM

I have seen creed live when they had brian and when they have brett and it sounds better (bass wise) with brian but vocally and just stage presents, Brett beats Brian hands down....but Brian was not that kind of person though...Brett is okay as a stand in and some bands do not have a permenate player in the band so its no big deal.

StrubesGuitar 07-04-2003 11:05 PM

Yeah, Brett does have a good voice.

Said Eyes 07-05-2003 02:48 AM

better than Stapp's

mikiows 07-05-2003 06:48 PM

YES! WAAAAAAAY BETTER!

velocityidp 07-05-2003 07:43 PM

Ehh, not really. Stapp's voice has a sort of moodiness and "grit" that Brett's just doesn't. I mean, a Creed song just wouldn't sound the same without Stapps voice -- like it or not! I like both their voices, though.

StrubesGuitar 07-05-2003 11:02 PM

Yeah, everybody knows Creed from Stapp's voice, it's so recognizable.

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-06-2003 05:42 AM

Hestla's my man hands down!! Brian is gone, it's time to move on. I miss him, but he's not coming back.

JenRN 07-06-2003 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Said Eyes
better than Stapp's

Hmmm... whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally LOVE Stapp's voice, it is one of the reasons I am so attracted to Creed. It is raw and real!:)

hotforscott 07-06-2003 10:32 AM

I second what Jen said. Nothing is comparable to Scott's voice. It draws me into every song and I hang on every word.

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-06-2003 02:29 PM

I love Scott's voice as well. It is so distinct. It was also the first thing I noticed about Creed. But Hestla is still my honey!!

Sheila63 07-06-2003 02:38 PM

I agree, Scott's voice and the lyrics are what drew me into Creed from the beginning. The minute I heard one of their songs I knew I had to find out who the singer was and since then I've fallen in love with the music as well.:crest: :jam:

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-06-2003 03:03 PM

Yeah, the lyrics are very powerful. I am often inspired by Scott's lyrics in my own writing. :)

Sheila63 07-06-2003 03:06 PM

I know what you mean. I've gotten into writing more myself since listening to their music. I've found that I really enjoy it and it's become a great outlet for me to express my thoughts and emotions.

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-06-2003 07:00 PM

Sheila, I am curious what kind of writing do you do? Writing is very enjoyable and relaxing to the soul. It's my second passion next to Brett!! :)

Sheila63 07-06-2003 08:03 PM

Right now I write in a journal when I feel like it or if something's on my mind. Your right, it is very relaxing. I just finished journaling a few minutes ago as a matter of fact. I've found it to be a great outlet. How about you, what kind of writing do you do? Sorry for going off the topic of the thread for a minute everybody.:)

mikiows 07-06-2003 09:58 PM

mMm...journaling...my faaaaaaavorite!

hey all...

i have a large binder full of writings and drawings concerning whatever's on my mind at the moment...some go into songs and others in to...umm...other stuff...lol...

it's nice to know that others out there do that stuff like me :D

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-07-2003 01:30 AM

Shelia, I mostly write poetry and short stories. I also keep an occassional journal of my thoughts and frustrations. I am working on a novel, but it is a long way from completion!!

Sorry guys about going off topic :)

HESTLA'S HONEY 07-07-2003 01:33 AM

Hey Miki,

It's good hearing you write too!! It's a rather lonely thing to do. I wish I could draw(lol)!! Good luck with your writing!!

Sorry again for going offf topic.

Said Eyes 07-07-2003 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JenRN
Hmmm... whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally LOVE Stapp's voice, it is one of the reasons I am so attracted to Creed.  It is raw and real!:)

Don't get me wrong, Stapp's voice is great, especially when he's at his best (although when at it's worst its pretty dismal). I just think Hestla's is a better singing voice.

Sheila63 07-07-2003 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by HESTLA'S HONEY
Shelia, I mostly write poetry and short stories. I also keep an occassional journal of my thoughts and frustrations. I am working on a novel, but it is a long way from completion!!

Sorry guys about going off topic :)

I think that's exciting!! A few people have told me recently that I should write a book!! You never know. I wish you the best of lock on your novel. In the meantime, enjoy writing your poetry and the short stories. I'd love to be able to write poetry, maybe I'll have to give it a try.:)

mikiows, welcome to the board.:D I think it's wonderful that you have a binder full of writings and drawings. I can't draw but would love to be able to.