CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Chat-O-Rama (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What kind of English do you speak? (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=9070)

aussiecreeder 05-07-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higher_Desire
Miriam-Websters

ah but its not the oxford....if you're looking for how to spell words in english a pommy publication needs to be used, not american spelling.

Quote:

There is no U in color. Nor is there one in Labor.

oh but there is.....what english countries beside the u.s drop the u from these words? exactly.......

Quote:

I only said he'd kick her butt. I never said anything about finding her. Hell, you couldn't even find her in Buckingham palace the place is so huge.

the queen is a useless old bag (with much worse children) but she served me well in winning this arguement! ;)

Quote:

There has never been a civil war in your land because there have never been two opinions. You're told what to do and you do it. Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to elect a head of state when you don't have one. It's much easier to use another country's monarch.

never had two opinions? that is a bit of an overstatement i think, last time i checked there were more than two political parties for a start. i didn't realise war was such a good thing. but again this is a country that takes pride in having the right to bear arms. actually for all intensive purposes the governor-general is the head of state but neither he nor the queen actually do anything.

anyway the joke has turned into another debate........lol

hayley 05-08-2005 07:54 PM

40% General American English
40% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

How I could come up with 40% Yankee I have no idea.

Oooh, this debate is interesting! Fight! Fight! FIGHT!

Ehe

Dogstar 05-08-2005 08:09 PM

The OED rules...Mine came with a Bausch & Lomb magnifying glass :thumbsup:

aussiecreeder 05-09-2005 06:51 AM

okay i'll show you a fight! back of the oval after school after all the teachers have left! :D

RMadd 05-09-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiecreeder
okay i'll show you a fight! back of the oval after school after all the teachers have left! :D

oval? wtf is that? in my experience, it's either "by the flagpole" or "(behind or at some location) on the playground"

aussiecreeder 05-09-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
oval? wtf is that? in my experience, it's either "by the flagpole" or "(behind or at some location) on the playground"

the oval or the sports oval is generally at the back of the school and in this case is where anyone spelling mum "mom" shall be beaten to a bloody pulp! ;)

Chase 05-12-2005 04:08 AM

Yeah... I have never heard the term "oval." There you go again... making up words. :D

DangerousDan85 05-16-2005 05:09 PM

70% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern

i work at a grocery store and I hate when employees and customers call the shopping carts "buggies". it drives me nuts

RMadd 05-17-2005 12:23 AM

"sports oval"? still doesn't clarify anything for me. you mean like a "track" for "running" (or is it "ronning"?)?

aussiecreeder 05-17-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMadd
"sports oval"? still doesn't clarify anything for me. you mean like a "track" for "running" (or is it "ronning"?)?

well it could be a big field (for playing football on aussie, rugby or soccer) or it could be a running track with the area for field events contained therein. running unlike mom is an english word! ;)