Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
metalingus meaning [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : metalingus meaning

metalanus
10-25-2005, 10:34 PM
First off I am a christian but have never viewed creed as a christian band because of their lifestyle and from what they have said . Lyrically scott and mark seemed influenced by christianity but that was it .

alterbridge is not a christian band obviously, ive seen them live. I am surprised that noone accuses them of being a christian band becuase matalingus sounds christian lyrically. I dont know what it is about and I doubt it is a christian song to Alter bridge. but to me I can relate to the lyrics from my own experiences and my interpretation of it is reflective of my christian beliefs .

anyone else agree about metalingus and know what it actually is about.

titan9
10-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I have no idea what it is about, but I interpret it like you do. I've heard other people who interpret it that way as well.

eusebioCBR
10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I read an interview where Mark denied having a spiritual agenda, but admitting his band mates have spiritual backgrounds. My personal favorite spiritual reference is in "Find The Real", it's my signature below. I have faith in Christ and some how their music connects well with me. Anyway most rock bands these days write songs pissing on people like me. I don't think AB is a Christian band, but they're not completely negative. I don't know what Metalingus is about, but it's a kick ass song!

RoffeDH
10-26-2005, 07:33 AM
I can see why you would think of it as a christian song but it might just be about being beaten down and that then you realize that you have to move on and not look back in reagrett. Might be about Creed and not woundering about what would have happend if they'd all stayed in Creed.

The Lithium
10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I agree with Roffe... And Christian? I'm not Christian myself, at all, I don't believe in any religon... The one I agree with the most is the Buddhism. Anyway... I really, really don't think this has ANYTHING to do with the bible or with Christ. Or with religon at all, for that reason... AB is not a Christian band.

And to answer eusebio's post; I've read that Mark now believes in God. Guess that his mother passing could have something to do with it. But I know Mark doesn't agree with many things that says in bible.

And for all of you who wonders: Ingus means: "Way of speech/Way of language". And we all know what Metal is! So what it means is something like: Metal-language.

titan9
10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, I've always thought that Mark believed in God, even during his Creed days. And I think he now calls himself a Christian, even though he does not believe in organized religion. I remember hearing that somewhere, whether it was here or at ABband.net.

It's entirely possible that this(or other songs on ODR) could be spiritual. You don't have to be a "Christian" band to write spiritual songs. This fact has been illustrated by bands like U2, Creed, Switchfoot and countless others.

Mark DOES directly reference God in one of the songs on ODR. That song is In Loving Memory. "I'm glad He set you free from sorrow." That appears on the lyrics on AB's official site. Obviously, when He is capitalized like that, that is a reference to God. This doesn't make AB a Christian or even Spiritual band, though.

I'd like to close by saying that I love that AB, like Creed, leaves the songs open to interpretation. That makes for some fun debates on sites like these. ;)

Creed7352
10-26-2005, 12:27 PM
metalingus the title came from mark's love of metal...they were just throwing it around when working on the tracks during recording so they could call it something. it's derived from the word cunnilingus...but substituting the sexual meaning with the love for metal music.

i can see why you might think it to be a sort of Christian song, but i think that might have to do with the background of the musician's...cause they were in creed and you might be looking at the lyrics to see if the Christian theme is there cause of all the "creed is a Christian band" statements that flew around. you might be trying to see if the same can be said for alter bridge.

i see the song as just about someone that is trying to not live life in regret and "how it feels to be alive"...alive meaning free from regretting past actions and such. i really think mark wrote the song in reflection of deciding to split creed and starting over.

just my thoughts.

RoffeDH
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
"I'm glad He set you free from sorrow"! MAn I've never seen that he is written He! Man... That's just too cool... Got to ask him next time we meet... I know Brian's a christain... Atleast I think so, he wears a cross and he's the onlyone on the record who thanks God... Any way... Matalinug rocks!

The Lithium
10-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I agree 100% with Ryan on his whole post.

And Roffe: Yes, Brian is a Christian! And what would you ask Mark next time you meet him?

eusebioCBR
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
In the interview I was refering to he also mentioned the music does have some spiritual influence. It's been a part of their lives but they're not pushing it. It's okay for anyone to listen to the music and take what they want from it.

"Alter Bridge would like to thank the following: God, our fans, family..........."

"Spiritual insinuations seem to shock our nation"
-Creed
And a few people on this board :yikes2:

Creed7352
10-27-2005, 02:05 AM
And a few people on this board :yikes2:

:lol not me!

RoffeDH
10-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Lith, I'm going to ask him if he's a christian och what he belives!

The Lithium
10-27-2005, 04:43 PM
"Och what he believes"? :D I think we've already answered that for you. He claimes himself as a Christian, but doesn't agree with the bible on many things. He doesn't believe in organized religion.

Ana4Stapp
10-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Does anyone has metalingus lyrics to post it here? It would be easier to discuss this... ;)

titan9
10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
"Metalingus Lyrics(from alterbridgeband.net)

I've been defeated and brought down
Dropped to my knees when hope ran out
The time has come to change my ways

On this day
I see clearly
Everything has come to life
A bitter place and a broken dream
And we'll leave it all
Leave it all behind

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

On this day
I see clearly
And we'll leave it all
And we'll leave it all behind

On this day
It's so real to me
Another chance to chase a dream
Another chance to feel
Chance to feel alive

Fear will kill me
All I could be
Lift these sorrows
Let me breathe

Could you set me free
Could you set me free

On this day
I see clearly
And we'll leave it all
We'll leave it all behind

On this day
It's so real to me
Another chance to chase a dream
Another chance to feel
Chance to feel alive

Ana4Stapp
10-27-2005, 05:57 PM
thanks titan! ;)

RoffeDH
10-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Well Lith, the bible says a lot of things? Doesn't it, plus I'd like to know how he "defendes" it... Very unusual (this is my opinion) for americans to do that kind of thing... I agree with him but would like to discuss it with him

The Lithium
10-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Well Lith, the bible says a lot of things? Doesn't it, plus I'd like to know how he "defendes" it... Very unusual (this is my opinion) for americans to do that kind of thing... I agree with him but would like to discuss it with him
Yeah, you're right. It's pretty unlike Americans to see things that kind of way. But then again; Mark really seems to be this down to earth guy.

Yeah, I'd like to discuss that with him as well! I could discuss the colour of the last garbage-bag he threw out and I would still be the luckies guy in the world 'cause I get to talk to Mark! :D

uncertaindrumer
10-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Geez people, why do you guys look for meaning in AB's songs? THERE IS NONE. Except maybe the FTR verses, which are really good.

But other than that, its all the same thing: When you are falling apart, find the strength to keep going, blah blah blah...

geletmote
10-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Geez people, why do you guys look for meaning in AB's songs? THERE IS NONE. Except maybe the FTR verses, which are really good.

But other than that, its all the same thing: When you are falling apart, find the strength to keep going, blah blah blah...

Agreed, look myles is there to get his paycheque.. accept mark, love the guitar

Wylde-Tremonti
10-29-2005, 11:46 AM
As Someone who writes lyrics/songs... sometimes, when you write a song... you just write what comes out... and what sounds good or what fits... sometimes there is no meaning... or there might be a million different meanings for a whole song. I know that when i write, Each Verse might be talking about something completely different than another verse or even the chorus...

I can't say that mark does the same... but its something to consider

RoffeDH
10-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes, we should considder that... BUT! If the song have a meaning to people then thats cool...

Uncertain your wrong! That's not how it is... Look at ODR or BID or WYW or TEIH, none of them are talking about beeing up and not letting go... Their not the most depressing songs but their not happy songs about contineuing!

uncertaindrumer
10-30-2005, 10:32 AM
ODR is EXACTLY the type of song I was talking about. Its the blueprint. Burn it Down is about moving on. So are all the songs. Again, the exact blueprint. Not sure what you are talking about. The End is here follows the theme pretty well also. WYW I will admit is a bit different.

uncertaindrumer
10-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Agreed, look myles is there to get his paycheque.. accept mark, love the guitar

If I hadn't renounced calling people names, I'd call YOU a name.

Myles doesn't WRITE the lyrics. Mark writes them. An they stink. For someone who gets paid an awful lot of money, he can't do it well. I am an amateur lyricist and my songs blow his away.

Myles on the other hand has some at least decent stuff with MF4, if not great. And besides; of all the talent in the band, Myles provides about %75 of it anyway, so for just being there for the paycheck, he does quite a bit.

Ana4Stapp
10-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Burn it down is the best AB song inmy opinion...even though Im not sure if it was writen for Myles or Mark and since im too lazy to look for it... :D

and about MF4 songs , its absolutely true that they were too much better than any AB song, just for one reason : Myles wrote them! ;)

uncertaindrumer
10-31-2005, 11:31 AM
FTR's verses are the best lyrics on the album and ironically enough, Myles wrote them. lol

Wylde-Tremonti
11-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Myles doesn't WRITE the lyrics. Mark writes them. An they stink. For someone who gets paid an awful lot of money, he can't do it well. I am an amateur lyricist and my songs blow his away.

Fuckin Watch It Dude. You Don't Wanna Go There. Don't think so highly of yourself.

Bridge of Clay
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
actually Myles wrote more than you think. just get the booklet and you'll see.

Creed7352
11-02-2005, 03:44 AM
myles will write more on the next ab record as mark said he had most of the stuff done already cause he was preparing for the next creed album...so i'm sure he was thinking of songs in the vein of creed when writing the lyrics...

broken wings was written by mark about his thoughts after 9/11 and seeing all the unity that came out across the US and how it just all of a sudden disappeared.

in loving memory was written about mark's mother passing away.

burn it down was inspired by the movie the salton sea. mark saw it and was inspired some so he wrote that song.

stapp's lyrics thus far are fuckin' way subpar to alter bridge's lyrics....that has to stand for something.

myles is NOT just there for the paycheck...if he was, he'd have stuck to his solo album he was working on after MF4 split, that way he'd get pretty much all of the royalties instead of sharing them...don't ya think? myles loves music and is in the band cause of that reason.

The Lithium
11-02-2005, 04:51 AM
MYLES RUELS!!! OBAY THE GOD OF THUNDER!!!

uncertaindrumer
11-02-2005, 08:37 AM
actually Myles wrote more than you think. just get the booklet and you'll see.

I have. Generally I can tell just by listening to the song which ones Myles had input on. Because of course from Mark we have these incredible lyrics from OYE. Yes, Wylde, EVERYTHING I write is better than Mark's lyrics. Because if they aren't, I IMMEDIATELY throw them out, delete them, erase them, get rid of them in some way.

Now if I could write like Myles I'd be happy, although he isn't exactly a lyrical genius, he is clearly more skilled than Mark.

The Lithium
11-02-2005, 09:56 AM
EVERYTHING I write is better than Mark's lyrics. Because if they aren't, I IMMEDIATELY throw them out, delete them, erase them, get rid of them in some way.
Hah, I believe that when I see it for myself!

Now if I could write like Myles I'd be happy, although he isn't exactly a lyrical genius, he is clearly more skilled than Mark.
Hell no, can't agree with that! Not even an inch!

titan9
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Haha, Mr. Uncertain is such a big talker. If he can write better lyrics than Mark, I'd like to see him post his lyrics in the Waxing Poetica forum. Then we'll see who writes the better lyrics. :laugh: j/k

geletmote
11-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Haha, Mr. Uncertain is such a big talker. If he can write better lyrics than Mark, I'd like to see him post his lyrics in the Waxing Poetica forum. Then we'll see who writes the better lyrics. :laugh: j/k

Ive never spoken to nor am I sticking up for (UNCERTAINDRUMER) but how could u possible know that the lyrics are so bad, do u know how many talents there are out their better than Mark on the guitar & lyrically, better than myles or scott lyricaly. Im a huge fan of tremo but Im honest, there would be so many indiscovered talents that would compare or even be better than mark, so dont undersitimate the unknown..

metalanus
11-02-2005, 04:25 PM
I dnt find the lyrics to suck at all. they do seem centered around the same idea. I would like to see more personal lyrics in the future. I love "save me " those lyrics i relate to well.

RoffeDH
11-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Mr Uncertain is clearly just being a b'tch and saying stuff like this... It's something that's subjective, not objective... For those not understanding: Objective is to say, I can breath, that's something that NO ONE can conradict is true... Objective is something witch everyone can agree on in otherwords. Subjective is my opinion. I think it's cold but you might find it chilly, it's niether right or wrong, but to say it's 80 degrees F is something objective.

So then to say MY LYRICS A MUCH BETTER THEN MYLES is just bullshit and can't be true... To say most find my lyrics better is true... And the way he said it "EVERYTHING I write is better than Mark's lyrics. Because if they aren't, I IMMEDIATELY throw them out, delete them, erase them, get rid of them in some way." is just idiotic! He clearly looks up to Mark, plust often people say stuff like this when they are in a possition like he was!

uncertaindrumer
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
If I have to hear the "subjective not objective" card get played one more time...

EVERYTHING Mark writes has been written before. There is NOTHING unique, NOTHING original, NOTHING worth mentioning. I DEFY someone to give me a single darn line worth speaking of as good lyrics.

"On this day/I see clearly/Everything has come to life"

I mean, come on. Are you people insane? Do you not see that for the mediocre sludge it is? It isn't BAD, but there is certainly nothing worth mentioning there... Makr is a freaking awesome guitar player. He just isn't a great songwriter. That is nothing new. There are plenty guitarists who rely on other people to write the songs. I jsut wish Mark would rely on Myles.

Anyway I have posted my lyrics on other sites... I might on here. Maybe. Just maybe.

He clearly looks up to Mark

Ummm... no. I look up to Myles. Myles is my rock icon/idol/whatever you want to call it.

uncertaindrumer
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Haha, Mr. Uncertain is such a big talker.

Heh. And that surprise you?

If he can write better lyrics than Mark, I'd like to see him post his lyrics in the Waxing Poetica forum.

Let's be honest... on a website titled "Creedfeed" do you seriously think anyone would admit my lyrics are better than Tremo's? I think not... ;)

titan9
11-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I would if I thought they were, because I look at things objectively. I've already admitted that Mark's lyrics aren't amazing, and that Stapp/Kennedy write better lyrics. :D

metalanus
11-02-2005, 11:52 PM
we could have a competiton. I think my lyrics are better than uncertain drummers. lets post them in the debate section and have people rate them. I dont think that would be completely accurate though because people now hate uncertain drummer.

metalanus
11-02-2005, 11:52 PM
let me know what you think of that idea and friday I will post my lyrics if you post yours

Unforgiven Fan
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
who cares exactly who wrote what and how they are compared to other bands or things that other members have done...why can't anyone look at the lyrics and music as a a statement from the whole band and not just tremonti and myles (Yes I know they did all the work but still give brian an flip the credit they deserve to)...what motives inspired mark or myles are the just that, motives...it does not matter if they are spiratual or not in origin...has anyone thought that some times you can over think and or over anylsis something...Why can't people have their interpretation of metalingus and the other songs and leave it be...

Creed7352
11-03-2005, 03:11 AM
mark said he wrote songs about everyday things, not these big epic type subjects as creed was...

and myles WILL contribute more on the next album and it's not about mark not letting him contribute lyrically...mark had most of the album written BEFORE myles joined as mark was planning on the next creed record and his solo stuff he wanted to do.

The Lithium
11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
I would if I thought they were, because I look at things objectively. I've already admitted that Mark's lyrics aren't amazing, and that Stapp/Kennedy write better lyrics. :D
I almost think Mark writes better lyrics than Myles...

jim22_greek
11-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Hey Fans I Looking To Contsct With You For A Long Time.please Sent Me Some E Mail I Will Love Too Contact With You.iam New At The Club Creed For Ever!!! From Greece

jim22_greek
11-03-2005, 04:01 AM
Hey Fans I Looking To Contsct With You For A Long Time.please Sent Me Some E Mail I Will Love Too Contact With You.iam New At The Club Creed For Ever!!! From Greece

geletmote
11-03-2005, 04:41 AM

ela re. tikanis, eime panayiotis

petergero@msn.com

ti ginete

uncertaindrumer
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
we could have a competiton.

Technically, yes.

I think my lyrics are better than uncertain drummers.

They probably are. I don't write great lyrics. People missed the point entirely. I was not building myself up. I was insulting Tremo's lyrics. lol

lets post them in the debate section and have people rate them.

I don't trust the reviewers to know what they are talking about...

I dont think that would be completely accurate though because people now hate uncertain drummer.

BINGO! lol, not sure why but people just hate me. Maybe because I don't worship the ground that AB and Stapp walk on. I love Alter Bridge but I know they aren't perfect and I am not afraid to admit it. Others seem to be.

Where as with Stapp I know why all the Stappy's hate me. I hate him. lol

titan9
11-03-2005, 11:42 AM

Have you heard any MF4 songs? Myles wrote some great lyrics in the MF4.

Creed7352
11-03-2005, 12:07 PM

yup!

metalanus
11-03-2005, 06:48 PM
is there a place on here that we can post and view lyrics. Id love to share some of mine and hear others. Im a drummer also Mr. Uncertain and im sure you do a better job than me at that. it would be intresting to see what kind of lyrics scott phillips can come up with.

Ana4Stapp
11-03-2005, 07:07 PM

I CANT believe you said that... :eek:

uncertaindrumer
11-03-2005, 07:31 PM
is there a place on here that we can post and view lyrics.

Waxing poetica

Im a drummer also Mr. Uncertain and im sure you do a better job than me at that.

Well I have no clue how good you are so I may or may not be, but yes Drumming is my first musical passion, with songwriting/singing being my second and guitar being my third.

it would be intresting to see what kind of lyrics scott phillips can come up with.

He really couldn't do worse than Mark... I mean do you guys not see that EVERYONE could write songs as simple as Mark's? Here's a verse for you:

It's been a long time and the road's been longer
But I've been through it all and now I'm stronger
Looking towards the day where I can see
In the flesh, all that I now do believe

I mean seriously, I just wrote down the first couple of lines that came to my head. And I don't know about you but it certainly sounds to me a lot like Mark's lyrics. Totally unoriginal, boring, nothing interesting, the same old theme, AGAIN, etc.

Not horrible, not totally unlistenable, like some stuff, but NOTHING that is worth mentioning.

uncertaindrumer
11-03-2005, 07:32 PM

You ain't the only one. ;)

metalanus
11-03-2005, 11:08 PM
ok I just posted a butload of lyrics that I worked really hard on. cfheck them out and let me know what you think . They are quite diverse so you may like some and dislike others so make sure you read them all. I hope you can relate to them.

Creed7352
11-04-2005, 03:29 AM
well mark's first passion is guitar...so i wouldn't expect his lyrics to be spectacular and the greatest lyrics on the planet...but to say they're shit is just dumb.

uncertaindrumer
11-04-2005, 08:49 AM
well mark's first passion is guitar...so i wouldn't expect his lyrics to be spectacular and the greatest lyrics on the planet...but to say they're shit is just dumb.

No, it's not. Only on a fansite would anyone ever claim his lyrics have any interest at all.

metalanus
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
You are one tuff cookie Mr. Uncertain, but I am always open to critique. Why don't you post some of yours I wont critique but I will read.

uncertaindrumer
11-04-2005, 10:12 AM
You are one tuff cookie Mr. Uncertain, but I am always open to critique. Why don't you post some of yours I wont critique but I will read.

Lol, I hope that's a good thing... I am really just trying to help. Anyway I will go post an older song of mine. And I would definitely appreciate advice, critique, etc. Don't feel obliged but it's definitely welcome. I always want ways to improve my writing. Plus some crappy rhymes (and various things like that) will sometimes slip by me and I like to have others point them out to me.

uncertaindrumer
11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Okay, lyrics posted. You guys can have fun tearing them apart--as long as you help me put them back together :D

eusebioCBR
11-04-2005, 10:48 AM
"Metalingus is a song about somebody who finally sees clearly". I found this at http://www.musicomh.com/interviews/alter-bridge.htm :rockon:

The Lithium
11-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah, I have both their albums PLUS their demo CD and their 4 song Live EP called "Montion".. Myles signed Second Skin for me back in Paris.

Myles is problably a better technicall writer, but I guess I just like Mark's writing style a little better. But whatever... Why should I compare them when they work together and the out-come is awesome anyway?

Actually Myles writing-style reminds me a little of Chris Cornell. Which is awesome, 'cause I love Chris. I think they have some things in common.

Ana4Stapp
11-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Myles signed Second Skin for me back in Paris.

envy...envy...envy.... :D

Myles is problably a better technicall writer, but I guess I just like Mark's writing style a little better.
:eek:

But whatever... Why should I compare them when they work together and the out-come is awesome anyway?
:rolleyes: No comparison...

Actually Myles writing-style reminds me a little of Chris Cornell. Which is awesome, 'cause I love Chris. I think they have some things in common

Finally you said some true...by the way I LOVE them both...as you can see in my sig...