Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Sweden Spanking Ban [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Sweden Spanking Ban

metalanus
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
I recently wrote a research paper on spanking and the swedish spanking ban. I am ok with a controlled use of spanking with children ages 2-6 as a backup for timeout. Sweden had a high abuse rate higher than the US prior to the ban. After the ban the abuse rate went up despite that Sweedish parents were given literature on parenting without spanking. American parents are more likely to use corporal punishment than the permissive sweeds yet the Sweeds still had a higher abuse rate. explain that

RMadd
10-23-2005, 04:18 AM
is "abuse" defined the same way in both countries?

i don't know if this explanation works well here, but sometimes that banning a particular action can actually cause the implementation of that act to increase... but i doubt parents readily think "hmmm, it's illegal to spank my kid, so i'm going to do it just to thumb my nose at the law." of course, i could be wrong.

i suppose, then, that the abuse rate increased only because the number of reported cases increased. in the US, one of the problems with the abuse rate is that, though it may seem so low, a small number of victims (for some reason, the number 30-40% is popping into my head right now, but i'm not sure if that's it) actually report it. so i guess if it's outlawed in Sweden, there's more incentive to report it, and it's also required to be reported....

Ana4Stapp
10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
is "abuse" defined the same way in both countries?

i don't know if this explanation works well here, but sometimes that banning a particular action can actually cause the implementation of that act to increase... but i doubt parents readily think "hmmm, it's illegal to spank my kid, so i'm going to do it just to thumb my nose at the law." of course, i could be wrong.

i suppose, then, that the abuse rate increased only because the number of reported cases increased. in the US, one of the problems with the abuse rate is that, though it may seem so low, a small number of victims (for some reason, the number 30-40% is popping into my head right now, but i'm not sure if that's it) actually report it. so i guess if it's outlawed in Sweden, there's more incentive to report it, and it's also required to be reported....

I agree with your points of views here; as for banning actions it will certainly increase and its the same here with the commerce of the guns and drugs or even abortion.Even though Im not saying these things would be permitted legally, but its a true.

But spanking a child its not a issue that State can control and of course avoid, well I mean, its obvious its an hateful thing to do and children will rebelling against their parents in the future. Children needs care, love , protection and education. Only this, but we also know that the same parents who are spanking kids actually used to be abused in the past as well. And they also need medical treatment.

But one question metal: you said its okay to spanking a child when she/he is 2-6 years old? Is it? Maybe you used the wrong word...well, I dont know...

PS: anyway, abuse can have another meaning here refering especifically sexual abuse thats certainly even more hateful than everything...but I hope its not the situation here...

metalanus
10-23-2005, 06:07 PM
those are very good points . One possible explaination was that parents were afraid to disapline and as a result the children as they got older were harder to control. Another is that without spanking other parenting techniques were not as useful because some studies suggest that spanking increases the effectiveness of more perfered forms of disapline when used as a backup. A third explaination is that parents were at more risk of flying off the handle and inflicting more pain and force than desired when they did use corporal punishment , used this way spanking is more of a release of frustration than a disiplinary action.

Spanking as with all punishments tends to be habit forming and when used alone does not accomplish anything . Anger can also be expressed through spanking but so can it be when harsh criticism and yelling is used instead.

RMadd
10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
PS: anyway, abuse can have another meaning here refering especifically sexual abuse thats certainly even more hateful than everything...but I hope its not the situation here...
I would disagree... abuse is not about hate, but power & control. people don't rape others primarily because it might feel good for the aggressor. rather, it's a violent & cruel form of showing the victim that they are inferior to the aggressor.

RMadd
10-24-2005, 12:46 AM
One possible explaination was that parents were afraid to disapline and as a result the children as they got older were harder to control.
i hate parents like that. see 'em all the time at work (Target). the kid wants something, parent tries to instill some discipline by saying no, but the kid whines enough and the parent eventually gives in. just shows the child that maybe mommy and daddy aren't always right and that they can be tested. i hope that, when i'm a parent, i'll be able to be forceful enough with my child(ren)--though not with violence--that they'll know when to stop asking for something.

The Lithium
10-24-2005, 04:13 AM
After the ban the abuse rate went up despite that Sweedish
I've never seen an american spell this word right... it's "Swedish". (With one E!)

As for the spanking... I actually don't know a crap about the history of spanking in this country. Except for the fact that it'd happened... All I know is that no one does it now and if you would and someone found out, you would be in pretty deep shit. (Yes, I'm a Sweed).

RoffeDH
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Yepp, no one these days, as for what I know, spank anymore... It's illigal and an awfull thing to do to give your child some manners. They only lern to hit people to get their way!

RMadd
10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
I've never seen an american spell this word right... it's "Swedish". (With one E!)
if it means anything to you, Lith, I've known for quite some time how to properly spell "Swedish".... i suppose we just don't use it enough that anyone over here really cares all that much... only thing i can think of is the Muppet character "Swedish Chef"... bishki bishki bishki

Ana4Stapp
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I would disagree... abuse is not about hate, but power & control. people don't rape others primarily because it might feel good for the aggressor. rather, it's a violent & cruel form of showing the victim that they are inferior to the aggressor.

I agree with you.Did I say the opposite? :confused: I think I just dindt know how to explain my point cuz I used a wrong word to say it...sorry :o

Ana4Stapp
10-24-2005, 06:52 PM
i hate parents like that. see 'em all the time at work (Target). the kid wants something, parent tries to instill some discipline by saying no, but the kid whines enough and the parent eventually gives in. just shows the child that maybe mommy and daddy aren't always right and that they can be tested. i hope that, when i'm a parent, i'll be able to be forceful enough with my child(ren)--though not with violence--that they'll know when to stop asking for something.

Actually parents only need to educate their kids...my mom never spanked me or my sisters but looking at her we always knew the exact moment we had to stop... :D

metalanus
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I dont think spanking is the cause of negative child outcomes. I think the parenting styles in general have the profound impact. Spanking in an authoratarian context lacks warmth and the strict nature will obviously cause probelms as the child matures. that is the style in which physical punishment is most used. Authoratative parents still use corporal punishment but with control and in a loving context, that is the perfered style.

RMadd
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I agree with you.Did I say the opposite? :confused: I think I just dindt know how to explain my point cuz I used a wrong word to say it...sorry :o
i think i just was a bit confused with using the word "hateful" and "sexual abuse" together, tho i think i understand what you were getting at now... my apologies

RMadd
10-25-2005, 12:28 AM
I dont think spanking is the cause of negative child outcomes. I think the parenting styles in general have the profound impact. Spanking in an authoratarian context lacks warmth and the strict nature will obviously cause probelms as the child matures. that is the style in which physical punishment is most used. Authoratative parents still use corporal punishment but with control and in a loving context, that is the perfered style.
'tis true... i'm sure i got spanked a few times when i was younger. i do remember my dad saying, more than once, that i was lucky that he wasn't his dad. my grandpa was pretty strict, and tho i was only about 10 when he died, i'm sure he was prolly pretty authoritarian. my parents, however, are more authoritative, for sure. not fun to piss them off, but everything's alright in the end. plus, i don't think i have any negative emotional scars or anything from it... at least nothing that's manifested yet....

Chase
10-25-2005, 12:42 AM

As for the spanking... I actually don't know a crap about the history of spanking in this country. Except for the fact that it'd happened... All I know is that no one does it now and if you would and someone found out, you would be in pretty deep shit. (Yes, I'm a Sweed).

I've spelled it right... RMadd's spelled it right... countless others on here have spelled it right lol :D

Mulletman
10-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Your definition of abuse is not the same as mine. Its the reason why the only people you will ever see on Nanny 911 are all white. See a black or hispanic mother disiplining her kids and you'll most likely want to call the cops. But I can almost promise you that her kids are saints compared to a typical white family.

The Lithium
10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
if it means anything to you, Lith, I've known for quite some time how to properly spell "Swedish".... i suppose we just don't use it enough that anyone over here really cares all that much... only thing i can think of is the Muppet character "Swedish Chef"... bishki bishki bishki
Well, I guess that... Meatbolls. Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin, Ikea, Ingmar Bergman, ABBA, Yngwie Malmsten. Well that's all I can think of now, who I think you've heard of.

RMadd
10-29-2005, 04:34 AM
not to nitpick, but you spelled Yngwie's first name wrong. it's a two-way street, my friend.

Mulletman
10-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey, you don't fuck with the Swedish Chef (http://www.worth1000.com/entries/38000/38239xEg1_w.jpg)!

The Lithium
10-31-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey, you don't fuck with the Swedish Chef (http://www.worth1000.com/entries/38000/38239xEg1_w.jpg)!
Amen!!

RMadd
10-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Al, I wasn't messing with the Swedish Chef. Honestly, he's prolly my favorite Muppet. He's frickin tight

Mulletman
10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
I know, I just felt like saying that.