Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Brand new song - Surround Me! [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Brand new song - Surround Me!

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Lots and lots of Scott Stapp news! Head over to www.PassionBreedsFollowers.com and make sure to download the bootleg of the new song Surround Me!!

While you're there, make sure to download the Q101's Mancow's Morning Madhouse, which includes an interview with Scott. (The DJ is a total jerk this time too, he's a total AB hater and gives Scott way too much credit!!! He calls AB side-kicks who just sucks. Mark was at least 50% of that band!)
Also check out his brand new promo shot, some other new pics and a new Nescar video!

Enjoy!

INDIGOSTEVE
10-13-2005, 04:54 PM
this will be his year! ready for the ride!

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, since AB's looong tour will be over in a few months, then they'll head, pretty much, straight into the studio to record some new material they've already written and release a new album at the end of next summer... Yeah, now is Scott's time to shine.

titan9
10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
How ironic that a DJ in Chicago is actually positive about Scott, and hates Alter Bridge. I thought that the DJ would be quite negative about Scott, considering the infamous concert there back in '02. It's a shame that the DJ had to put AB down like that.

Out of curiousity, Lith, where exactly is that DL for the new song? I'm not presently a member of the forums(I was, but my account got deleted due to inactivity), so I haven't looked there.

Thanks for posting all of this!

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I can't believe Scott Stapp!! Last summer he said that was still talking to AB and that it was for sure that they were getting back together as Creed again. Now he says that he has only spoken to AB through lawyer and that even if Mark and the guys begged he wouldn't forgive 'em for what they've done! Brian was right when he said Scott is nothing but a "Pathological fucking lair".

Then he said that he was the only one with a kid... Hello, what about Flip and his daughter Cadance?

ALTER BRIDGE 4 LIFE!!!

titan9
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Hmm, kinda contradicts what he just said a week ago in that Columbus interview. Didn't he say that he has forgiven them?

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Hmm, kinda contradicts what he just said a week ago in that Columbus interview. Didn't he say that he has forgiven them?
Yeah, I just don't care anymore... I think Scott is handleing these interviews so very, very bad that I just start to dislike him again... A LOT!!!!

titan9
10-13-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't, either. He handled the interviews last year much better. Like I've said before, though, I try not to let it interfere in whether I like his music or not. I'm still a fan of the work he has done as a musician, despite some of the idiotic things he may say/do.

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Well to me, what he says is a part of him and I can't support someone I hate. Now, I try not to start to hate Stapp, but well... The guy's a jerk, and he prooves it!

titan9
10-13-2005, 05:37 PM
See, I've said this a ton, but I try to separate the actual music from the person. I'll worship the music, but I sure as heck won't worship the person, because I don't know what they are truly like. I can't base my opinions about an artist based on what he/she says in an interview. An artist could come off(in an interview) as an extremely nice person, yet in all actuality, be a complete jerk, or vice versa. Unless I personally know the artist, I'm not going to let what he/she says/does factor into whether I like said artist or not. That's just me, though.

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 05:59 PM
One thing I know is that Alter Bridge are too into it to just be acting. I read a message on ABB.net from Michael where he called out to get a girl named Julia, something. She had won a competition on The Zone 9.11, Chicago. The price was to visit Mark's house and watch the guys preform an intimate acoustic set for her. However the competition was somehow called off, although Julia had already won.

But Michael did post this message 'cause he was pretty sure Julia was a big fan who problably were on ABB.net. So they tried to find her, so she could get her price anyway Michael ended his message with: "Alter Bridge never lets a fan down".

You gotta love it to do something like that!

Trimontana
10-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Awful song. I really think he should have called his album "Creed-album no 4" its a copy of Creed songs.

The Lithium
10-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I always thought Stapp would never make it without Mark... Turnes out he can... If he copies everything Mark has ever done for Creed.

Chase
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Awful song. I really think he should have called his album "Creed-album no 4" its a copy of Creed songs.

Give me a break... Alter Bridge plays Creed-like tunes also. "Down To My Last," "Broken Wings," "Shed My Skin," and "Open Your Eyes." They have Creed written all over it.

Torn Signs
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
It's a good song, better than the Great Divide. At least The Great Divide's music video is pretty good though :) .

uncertaindrumer
10-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Give me a break... Alter Bridge plays Creed-like tunes also. "Down To My Last," "Broken Wings," "Shed My Skin," and "Open Your Eyes." They have Creed written all over it.

It has post grunge alternative, or modern rock, or whatever you want to call it, written all over it. Creed didn't start it.

But granted, AB is not very unique. Their difference is in FTR Metalingus and ODR. Plus Myles' ridiculous vocals.

Anyway Stapp is everything I thought he was.

And I don't know... I can't support a total jerk by buying his music, etc. But that is just me.

titan9
10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Hmm, I just listened to the song(finally found out it was actually on the radio station's web site) and the sound quality is extremely poor, so I think it is difficult to judge the song as a whole. I liked the lyrics, and I thought it was good to hear Stapp go a bit higher with his vocals toward the end of the song. Overall, his vocals sounded strong, which is very promising. Hopefully they hold up once he starts touring. However, I'm going to wait until I get a hold of an album quality version of the song before I actually judge it. But initially, I think it is good, a good bit better than the Great Divide.

Bridge of Clay
10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
are you kidding me?

He sounds horrible... the tone is still there, but range and control are really bad. I'm not considering it worth of critic coz I've been told he was sick that day.

Ana4Stapp
10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmm, I just listened to the song(finally found out it was actually on the radio station's web site) and the sound quality is extremely poor, so I think it is difficult to judge the song as a whole. I liked the lyrics, and I thought it was good to hear Stapp go a bit higher with his vocals toward the end of the song. Overall, his vocals sounded strong, which is very promising. Hopefully they hold up once he starts touring. However, I'm going to wait until I get a hold of an album quality version of the song before I actually judge it. But initially, I think it is good, a good bit better than the Great Divide.

Same here, even though his voice is terrible and the sound quality is extremely poor. But backing to the song...its sounds good and lyrics are superior to GD...but its not a difficult thing ...

Creed7352
10-14-2005, 02:16 AM

broken wings doesn't sound like creed, but i'll give you the other 3....i don't think the next album is going to be like creed very much. with myles collaborating it'll be sweet!

INDIGOSTEVE
10-14-2005, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=Bridge of Clay]are you kidding me?

He sounds horrible... the tone is still there, but range and control are really bad. I'm not considering it worth of critic coz I've been told he was sick that day.[/QUO
you are right because the st louis show sounded great his voice the day wasn't good at all

titan9
10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
It's early, but I'll attempt to reply to this. When I said that his vocals sounded strong, I was accounting for the incredibly poor sound quality and the fact that he was supposedly sick that day. I didn't think he had "no control or range", but of course that is your opinion, and I'm not going to change mine, lol.

I think people here are overreacting way too quickly to Stapp's new stuff, particularly those who do not like Stapp. Everything that is coming out so far(and that is only TWO songs[one is not even album quality] and a video), they are quick to come in here and say how much it sucks. They've got their opinion, and a lot of people have been respectful of it, yet they themselves have not been that respectful towards those Stapp fans who do enjoy it. It seems like those Stapp fans who dislike AB have been respectful, for the most part, and have not posted their disdain for AB in the AB forum(they have done so here, though), whereas I'm seeing quite a few anti-Stapp people in here, posting their disdain for him. Granted, no one is perfect on either side, but if we want to have less arguments/fights around here, we need to think hard before we make a post. Many times I have seen something on here that infuriates me, yet I have restrained myself a lot and not posted a heated message in response. Other members have done the same as I have, I am sure.

I guess I'm just tired of the fights, the ridiculing and whatnot. I'd like to see less negativeness, less fights around here.

/End rant

Trimontana
10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
are you kidding me?

He sounds horrible... the tone is still there, but range and control are really bad. I'm not considering it worth of critic coz I've been told he was sick that day.

He was sick cause the nite before he was drinking till late. I am not inventing this...the dj's said so in the interview. Yeah sick, i think thats no way to look after his voice if he is thinking in starting touring.

Bridge of Clay
10-14-2005, 08:44 AM
It's early, but I'll attempt to reply to this. When I said that his vocals sounded strong, I was accounting for the incredibly poor sound quality and the fact that he was supposedly sick that day. I didn't think he had "no control or range", but of course that is your opinion, and I'm not going to change mine, lol.

Listen to it more than once and you'll notice how many times his voice cracks... That was my first impression, but when I listened to it more times, I noticed the failures.

I think people here are overreacting way too quickly to Stapp's new stuff, particularly those who do not like Stapp. Everything that is coming out so far(and that is only TWO songs[one is not even album quality] and a video), they are quick to come in here and say how much it sucks. They've got their opinion, and a lot of people have been respectful of it, yet they themselves have not been that respectful towards those Stapp fans who do enjoy it. It seems like those Stapp fans who dislike AB have been respectful, for the most part, and have not posted their disdain for AB in the AB forum(they have done so here, though), whereas I'm seeing quite a few anti-Stapp people in here, posting their disdain for him. Granted, no one is perfect on either side, but if we want to have less arguments/fights around here, we need to think hard before we make a post. Many times I have seen something on here that infuriates me, yet I have restrained myself a lot and not posted a heated message in response. Other members have done the same as I have, I am sure.

in what world? The only minority here is the side who still cares for both side. The Stapp field is ready to diss AB (Another Band, Alter Boys, etc) anytime. And the AB fans are ready to get back at them.

Let's admit... Stapp isn't helping his image much after the latest interviews.

And seriously, I still like Stapp but his recent stories are contradicted by himself... one day Mark is an asshole and on the other he prays for him, back to hating him, back to forgiving him... :wtf:

uncertaindrumer
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm just tired of the fights, the ridiculing and whatnot. I'd like to see less negativeness, less fights around here.

I live for the fights, ridiculous and whatnot... lol

Anyway, Titan are you sick? I think you just claimed Stapp crazy's have been respectful of AB...

Umm, on WHAT planet do you live?

metalanus
10-14-2005, 11:09 AM
just because his voice was not perfect live doesn't mean it wont be perfect on the albulm. Ever heard is this the end acoustic he gets terribly off key at one point yet the albulm version is one of their strongest songs

metalanus
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
i like both stapp and AleterBridge so I guess im the minority

titan9
10-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Ya'll misinterpretted what I said. I guess that's what I get for posting a message around 7:30-8ish, before I've had breakfast or any kind of thing to wake me up. :laugh: What I meant was that, for the most part, Stapp fans have not stormed into the AB forum(save for a few extremists) and brought their negativeness to that forum. Whereas those who clearly do not like Stapp(I'm not going to name names, because I do not intend to start a fight) come over to the Stapp forum and post their negativeness and criticism on here. See what I'm saying? I'm not denying that anti-AB fans have posted in this forum, because they have, but I'm saying that some of them have decided not to bring that negativeness to the AB forum itself. It's different for the Stapp forum, as there are some bonafied Stapp haters who come in here and spew nothing but negativity concerning Stapp. I'm all for constructive criticism when it comes to an artist or band, but I hate it when bonafied haters come into that artist's forum and are only there to bash the artist and thus start fights with those who happen to like the artist. I'm talking about the haters who come into this forum and say "blah blah blah, Stapp sucks, I can't believe you actually like his new video, because it sucks, what are you smoking thinking that it is good?" This is where all of the fights happen, this is what causes it, on BOTH sides.

Example: I hate Usher. However, I do not go into an Usher forum and bash the guy, because I know exactly what'll happen: I'll get into a fight with someone who really likes his music, and nothing good will come out of it. You have the freedom to go into any forum you like, regardless of if you like the artist or not. But if you want to avoid a fight, think before you make a post that does nothing but bash the artist in that artist's forum. THAT was my point, and I guess I did not type it clearly.

As for listening to the song again, quite honestly, I have not had the time to carefully listen to it again and critique his voice. I based my opinion off of a first-time listen, and maybe if I listen to it again, maybe my opinion will change, but for now, my opinion stands.

titan9
10-14-2005, 11:24 AM
I'd like to add to all of this that I am an equal fan of both, and I'll defend both when I see fit. If anti-AB fans were coming into the AB forum and bashing the band a lot, I'd defend the heck out of AB as well.

Also, I am not defending what Stapp has said in the interviews. I've even admitted in other threads(maybe it was even earlier in this one) that what he he has said in, say, the Columbus interview contradicts what he later said in the Cleveland interview. I am simply defending the MUSIC, not the guy himself.

Trimontana
10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Example: I hate Usher. However, I do not go into an Usher forum and bash the guy, because I know exactly what'll happen: I'll get into a fight with someone who really likes his music, and nothing good will come out of it. You have the freedom to go into any forum you like, regardless of if you like the artist or not. But if you want to avoid a fight, think before you make a post that does nothing but bash the artist in that artist's forum. THAT was my point, and I guess I did not type it clearly.

Titan, i know what you are trying to say but this is completly different. Stapp and AB were together in a band. Is not like we, AB fans, cant ignore all the lying and bullshit Stapp says about Tremo, Flip and Brian and about their no existing frienship and stuff in Creed. And vicerversa with Stappy fans.
I really care about Stappy says, not cause i admre him or i am a fans, cause what he says is just lie after lie.

titan9
10-14-2005, 11:30 AM
By no means am I saying that you should not be upset about what he is saying regarding Tremo, Flip and Brian or anything else Creed related. I myself am angry, and I'm an equal fan of both. All I am saying is that those who hate Stapp, to avoid fights, would be best served(all of this being my opinion) to either hold the hate in, or voice it in the AB forum where it would probably be better suited, lol. It's really only a suggestion on my part, as I've observed this forum a lot in 9-10 months, and this is what I think is the peaceful solution to all of the fights.

Bridge of Clay
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
just because his voice was not perfect live doesn't mean it wont be perfect on the albulm. Ever heard is this the end acoustic he gets terribly off key at one point yet the albulm version is one of their strongest songs
But of course!

You have all sorts of digital equipment to clean noises and correct defects, a true Photoshop for sounds.

Or do you think Britney and Jessica Simpson are good singers?

When Britney performed in Rio de Janeiro in front of 15,000 fans, her playback failed and she was forced to sing: she got booed and all her teen fans cried in disbelief she sucked so bad.

Creed7352
10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
i like both stapp and AleterBridge so I guess im the minority

add one more...hey, at this rate, we're bound to bring our percentage up sooner or later...lol

titan9
10-14-2005, 01:10 PM
add one more...hey, at this rate, we're bound to bring our percentage up sooner or later...lol

Add me to that list as well. :laugh:

uncertaindrumer
10-14-2005, 03:21 PM
But of course!

You have all sorts of digital equipment to clean noises and correct defects, a true Photoshop for sounds.

Or do you think Britney and Jessica Simpson are good singers?

When Britney performed in Rio de Janeiro in front of 15,000 fans, her playback failed and she was forced to sing: she got booed and all her teen fans cried in disbelief she sucked so bad.

Exactly.

Anyway, to Titan. there is a difference between a negative opinion and respect. Less people like Stapp than like AB, so of course mroe people will post their negative opinions about Stapp than those who psot them about AB.

If someone were to give me a logical, coherant REASON for their negative opinion of a band such as Alter Bridge, I would certainly engage in lively debate with them and enjoy doing so.

MOST Alter Bridge fans that I have noticed are *usually* respectful of others opinions even when they don't hold them. I can't say the same for stapp fans. Without naming names, I can count at least 6 who are totally ridiculous in their blatant disregard for opposing viewpoints. I don't WANT to hate Stapp. If someone could show me he had an oucne of musical depth or a heart bigger than a pea, I would love that. I wish I had more people that I could listen to and enjoy. Stapp crazy's tend to not WANT to consider opposing opinions, and often there is nothing more rude and annoying than having to argue with someone who refuses to listen.

/rant

This time around it was too much root beer, for those of you who get the joke... lol

titan9
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
It really goes on both sides, though. You've got AB fans who are just as bad as the Stapp extremists. Maybe there aren't as many such AB fans as there are Stapp fans, but they do indeed exist.

My whole thing was that, if you hate an artist, you really should not come into their forum and say so, unless you want to start a huge fight, unless you want to get into trouble. Never did I say that criticism or negativeness regarding an artist is wrong; I'm incredibly negative when it comes to cruddy "singers" like Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears etc.

Chase
10-14-2005, 05:02 PM
He's asking you guys to stop the nagitivity... that's all! I just think it's funny that you guys crucify Stapp for finally retaliating AGAINST ALTER BRIDGE'S YEAR LONG STAPP BASHING INTERVIEW FESTIVAL. I'm sure Stapp knows what Tremonti has been saying... and he's probably fed up with it. He could probably handle things differently... but like Titan said, you Stapp-haters are too quick to judge him on every level. He announces that he's trying to reconcile with God, you criticize him. He releases ONE song... and you guys make it sound like the entire album is garbage (without listening to it), he makes a video that's simple and it's the worst music video ever (Alter Bridge did the same thing... and you praise them). It's okay to be an AB fan and Stapp fan... relax and loosen up. I like Stapp and AB equally... but I will never go into the AB board and bash them time after time like some of you do in here. Then good threads get SHUT DOWN because people make piss worthy posts and incite arguments. Constructive criticism is fine... but the continuous posts devoted to Stapp hating is getting really annoying. You can worship the ground that Alter Bridge walks on... that's fine... but please knock off the negativity in nearly every post.

One more thing... Creed is indeed post grunge... however, they did create their own sound. Alter Bridge has carried on that sound (as of now) and so has Stapp. Creed has influenced both bands and there is nothing wrong with that. Hell, they even influenced other bands... like Submersed. Just relax everyone.

Ana4Stapp
10-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah I can agree with titan and Chase posts in almost everything, cause I feel the same way...some guys just came here to bash Stapp, like i said in athe other thread seems that"bash Stapp is cool"...Of course everyone is free to entitle his/her opinion...by the way, I was very disappointed with his first single Great Divide and said it on board even though the majority of his fans seemed liked it...

Of course I posted my disappointment with his new song cause I think he can do better than that, so I was expecting more from this guy. And yes, I can RESPECT a member who says hosnetly that 'Stapps song isnt great, he did a lot of stupid thing in the last days of the band, that clearly contributed to Creed's end, his solo video isnt a creative one...thats all okay...These are OPINIONS! THERES A REASON!!!

IMO, the problem is when someone in a thread that has nothing to it just came and say " Stapp is a jerk"; or "Stapp does a lot of crappy", " Hes an idiot." Whats the point of exclaiming that? Theres no real reason ...its just to provoke his fans and when we answer that --they say we are "RUDE"...or we are "making an enormous drama"... :rolleyes:

For example, whats the meaning of answering "oh, Stapp is a jerk" in a thread about whos the better singer????.Even on the thread posted to his birthday I recall some people saying how they dislike him...You CAN dislike him...but why go to his birthday thread just to say that??? I clearly hate ashley simpson...so why go to her site and posting something 'like shes a very bad singer, a stupid girl with no talent'? I cant to that because I respect the people rights of having different opinions from mine.

Also, Im not a Stapp fan but also an AB fan. Love them equally and hope carreer are successful for both.

And I hope I'm not one of the six ... :rolleyes:lol

titan9
10-14-2005, 07:20 PM
That's exactly what I meant, Ana. It's nice to see someone agrees with me. When you said that you disliked The Great Divide, you did so in a respectful manner and did not use the typical "I hate it because Stapp is a jerk" response. Constructive criticism is fine, imo; clear bashing in this forum isn't.

Bridge of Clay
10-14-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm just trying to be honest... at first I didn't like Mark was telling how wrong Stapp acted and he never called him "he's a fucking asshole" like Stapp did. The only one who got heavy was Brian: "he's a pathological fucking liar". But then I heard behind the scenes stories by a reliable person who's not on this board, and hey... AB could've ended Stapp's career if they wanted to. They don't. So they just expressed their thoughts... I don't blame them for that... There was someone in a group of friends of mine and this person totally changed to the level we couldn't stand anymore... she ended up leaving the group, fighting with almost everybody... You just can't help it: when people used you and lost your trust, it's human nature calling. You'll talk about it and it won't be pink glasses.

But what bothers me is Stapp tells a different version in each interview and takes credit for things who aren't his: writing all of Creed's music when he can't play guitar enough or making the largest shelter in Shiverport (spelling?) to say two examples.

Anyway, moving on to the music itself:

It's so sad to see how much Stapp's voice has deteriorated over the years. That voice that got me hooked at first is no more... His tone is almost gone, the southern accent is more evident but the falsettos are horrible now. Granted in one of them he was sick, but in St. Louis it still sounded bad comparing to previous years. And it's evident in all bootlegs for those who wanna listen to it. You don't admit it only if you don't want to.

As for the lyrics, Stapp changed style a bit, I think. He's going into a Aerosmith/ The Calling direction: verse/ chorus/ verse/ chorus/ bridge (although I don't think SM has one) / outro being variations and repeats of chorus words. Back in Human Clay, it was long verses/ chorus/ long verses/ chorus/ bridge/ chorus. Now his words are fewer and repeat more often.

I liked TGD better than RL and SM, although it isn't fair to SM since it wasn't the studio version. TGD is a good song but Stapp can do better. He did in the past, I don't see why he can't do it again. Reading PBF, I didn't see anyone saying those were the best Stapp songs ever so far.

And about his video... I have nothing against it. I anticipated something a bit different, but it's a good performance video. But it was weird to see Stapp singing sitting in the beginning, when he's used to move all around on stage! lol

So that's it... That's my whole view on this for now. Crucify me if you want, but I believe I'm being fair.

INDIGOSTEVE
10-14-2005, 09:11 PM
you've only heard two songs so far. so judge it after the cd comes out? :eek:

Bridge of Clay
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Read carefully:

That's my whole view on this for now. Crucify me if you want, but I believe I'm being fair.

titan9
10-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I completely respect and understand what you've said, Marcos. What you've posted right there is constructive criticism. I was not at all talking about you when I talked about bashers. You've always been constructive, which I respect.

I don't think TGD is up to Stapp's standard, either...which is why I hope that the album is. I know he still has it in him to make a very good CD, but we'll see if he actually does.

As far as lyrics, the lyrics for the songs I've seen so far aren't bad, but aren't up to his ability either. I have noticed the tendancy in the two songs, concerning structure. I think the reason his lyrics have changed is that he's changed. In Creed, quite a few of his lyrics questioned faith, questioned religion, questioned God in some way. Now that he's obviously a firm Christian, he isn't questioning so much, but rather talking about his spiritual journey more(as evidenced in TGD and RL). I don't know if his lyrics are the same on the rest of the CD, though.

The stuff I've heard thus far shows potential, but it's definitely not as good as his stuff with Creed. I'm trying hard to wait until the CD comes out before I judge his first work as a solo artist. Initially, it looks good, but it's not as good as I expected. We'll see, though.

uncertaindrumer
10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
When I say I like negative comments I mean comments like Marcos'... If everyone jsut said "yippee doo its awesome" life would get boring FAST...

titan9
10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I like those comments as well, because those comments are constructive criticism, something I always like to hear. I'm all for debating that kind of criticism, but I don't like the meaningless fights and arguments, lol.

Bridge of Clay
10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, thanks mate! :)

I was replying to you, but it wasn't all directed towards you. It seems a few people always take what I say as bad criticism...

uncertaindrumer
10-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, thanks mate! :)

I was replying to you, but it wasn't all directed towards you. It seems a few people always take what I say as bad criticism...

Those "people" are morons. lol

Tremontixriffs
10-15-2005, 02:54 AM
I like those comments as well, because those comments are constructive criticism, something I always like to hear. I'm all for debating that kind of criticism, but I don't like the meaningless fights and arguments, lol.

I think there is a lot to this feud that may never be known. Tremonti may have done something to stapp to make him respond or feel this way. These guys used to be great friends, now they only talk throught lawyers, its unbelievable....Whos to blame we will never know, but I do not think it is all Stapps fault...

As far as "sorround me", I like it...I havent heard the radio version but the accoustic sounded pretty good, like the lyrics, they are definitely way better than the great devide.

Finally lets face bare facts here...It is ever appearent that their will not be a reconciliation now, Creed is finished. Fact is everyone here has an opinion...My opinion is stapp and alter bridge are good alternatives for people who love creed. They are both good, It pains me to say that because I do not feel that Kennedy can hold Stapps jock when it comes to being a frontman but thats my opinion... The only way either of these two factions will be great is if they are reunited, looks like it wont happen so we will have to enjoy what we can get...

Tremontixriffs
10-15-2005, 02:59 AM

I think there is a lot to this feud that may never be known. Tremonti may have done something to stapp to make him respond or feel this way. These guys used to be great friends, now they only talk throught lawyers, its unbelievable....Whos to blame we will never know, but I do not think it is all Stapps fault...

As far as "sorround me", I like it...I havent heard the radio version but the accoustic sounded pretty good, like the lyrics, they are definitely way better than the great devide.

Finally lets face bare facts here...It is ever appearent that their will not be a reconciliation now, Creed is finished. Fact is everyone here has an opinion...My opinion is stapp and alter bridge are good alternatives for people who love creed. They are both good, It pains me to say that because I do not feel that Kennedy can hold Stapps jock when it comes to being a frontman but thats my opinion... The only way either of these two factions will be great is if they are reunited, looks like it wont happen so we will have to enjoy what we can get...

The Lithium
10-15-2005, 03:32 AM
AB could've ended Stapp's career if they wanted to. They don't. So they just expressed their thoughts... I don't blame them for that...
Yeah, I really believe that too.

But what bothers me is Stapp tells a different version in each interview and takes credit for things who aren't his: writing all of Creed's music when he can't play guitar enough or making the largest shelter in Shiverport (spelling?) to say two examples.
I know, I'm starting to hate him for that! :mad: Last year he said "Oh, it will definitely be another Creed record out, down the road". And: "Mark is uncle Mark to my baby boy, so I don't see why this break-up would end a friendship". Now he calls them: "My so-called friends". And he has also said: "I've only spoken to them through lawyers" and: "Even if they begged I would never play with them again. They got bigheadded and they didn't want to split the money when I wrote all the Creed songs. I was Creed"!

One person wasn't Creed! And it sure as hell wasn't Scott! If anyone was I'd say Mark, since he wrote all the songs, and co-wrote more lyrics than we know of. And I think ODR prooves that. The ODR lyrics are more alike the Creed lyrics than what I've heard from TGD.

As for the rest of what Marcos said... I agree with the most of it, besides from the video. I still think that is freaking bad video...

RoffeDH
10-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Sorry, thought I saw the end of the line but it was only the first page! ;)

The Lithium
10-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Here's Surround Me (Acoustic) - Live at 101.1, The River (http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SMWMSZEB488U0Q6NIX39DH2DH).

For all of those who says Scott's a better singer than Myles. Here's your proof Myles owns Scott. Scott voice cracks many times on this song, and so on... Awesome quality though. (Some of you says Scott was sick this day. But I've heard Myles sing sick, and you hardly notice it. I could upload it here if you want to).

Good song, though

uncertaindrumer
10-15-2005, 11:55 AM
True. The great ones play through pain and sickness.

Dogstar
10-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Lith....listening to it now....hmm, nice pretty guitar intro...yikes, maybe it's the recording, but his voice does not sound good. I don't have much hope for a tour. And the screeching/screaming at the end...ick.

bobben
10-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I hate Usher.

I hate the guy too!! :mad1:

Ok, a little off-subject, but hey...I simply hate him!

Dogstar
10-15-2005, 03:51 PM
LOL, Bobben. I'm right there with ya. Not a fan.

titan9
10-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Here's Surround Me (Acoustic) - Live at 101.1, The River (http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SMWMSZEB488U0Q6NIX39DH2DH).

For all of those who says Scott's a better singer than Myles. Here's your proof Myles owns Scott. Scott voice cracks many times on this song, and so on... Awesome quality though. (Some of you says Scott was sick this day. But I've heard Myles sing sick, and you hardly notice it. I could upload it here if you want to).

Good song, though

Thanks for that. The quality is much better. I do agree, Scott's voice cracks quite a bit, but his being sick probably didn't help matters. Still, I don't think he sounds horrendous, just a bit off(particularly when he goes higher with his vocals toward the end of the song). I guess not every singer can sound good(like Myles can) when he is sick. Gotta give Myles all the credit in the world for being able to hit the high notes when he is under the weather.

As long as Scott stays healthy during his tour, I still think he can sound good live. I still think he has it in him. We'll see, though.

I hate Ashlee Simpson even more than Usher. At least Usher CAN sing, whereas Ashlee sounds absolutely horrendous live and is so bad that she has to lip sync. 'Tis why I have so much respect for Rock singers, who in most cases, never lip synch. Even when Stapp, or another Rock singer sounds horrendous live, that's still better than them lip synching, imo. :laugh:

Chase
10-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't think it's that bad at all. Like Titan said... being sick is a factor... and not everyone is fortunate enough to be like Myles when they're ill. I like the two guitar approach in the music though. It's a little less generic than "The Great Divide" and that will definately work to his benefit. Even the ending isn't bad. I think that some people just don't want to give Stapp a chance and are being way too critical. That's fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion... but let's all wait until November 22nd and THEN make our final critiques.

Haha and I'm listening to the new performance of "My Sacrafice" and I feel guilty for my curiosity of wanting to hear it. Sure Artie Rincon and John Curry aren't Tremonti on guitar... but it just sounds like a generic version of the song. Nothing spectacular is incorporated into it... like Tremonti would've done... but Stapp sounds pretty good on the song, vocally. Hearing the song does make me miss Creed.

Dogstar
10-15-2005, 11:05 PM
As long as Scott stays healthy during his tour, I still think he can sound good live. I still think he has it in him. We'll see, though.

I hope so, but I have my doubts. His voice isn't nearly as strong as it once was.

Chase
10-15-2005, 11:16 PM
I hope so, but I have my doubts. His voice isn't nearly as strong as it once was.

Yeah... that's true. I can understand your doubts. However, Eddie Vedder doesn't have his same voice... neither does Chris Cornell. Singers age... some more rapidly than others. We'll just have to see what happens.

Dogstar
10-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah... that's true. I can understand your doubts. However, Eddie Vedder doesn't have his same voice... neither does Chris Cornell. Singers age... some more rapidly than others. We'll just have to see what happens.
Yes, but Eddie and Chris Cornell are 40 and 41. Stapp is 33. He hasn't learned how to preserve it.

uncertaindrumer
10-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Hmmm... Cornell is definitely not what he used to be but he is still quite something indeed...

Dogstar
10-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Vedder is, too, despite his advancing years. I just saw them two weeks ago, and Eddie sounded great. He rarely sings off-key. His voice might crack here and there, but for the most part, he's been on every time I have seen him.

The Lithium
10-16-2005, 05:43 AM
I don't think it's that bad at all. Like Titan said... being sick is a factor...
Oh please, he can't sing the song! I don't blame him for singing bad when he's sick, but it doesn't sound good.

but let's all wait until November 22nd and THEN make our final critiques.
Oh yes and oh now. I've always loved Scott's voice on the albums, but when he sings live he's just not as good anymore. It's easier to sing good in a studio than live. In a studio you sing the song about 8-10 times, then the producer take the best verse and match it together with the best chours etc.

Hearing My Sacrifice does make me miss Creed.
Which is another reason he shouldn't play the song!...

GregS
10-16-2005, 09:22 AM
God that song was horrible... Though the sound quality is crap..

The Lithium
10-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Scott's voice is crap! I think the song is pretty good.

GregS
10-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Ye his voice sounded bad.. but so did the song..

Trimontana
10-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Ye his voice sounded bad.. but so did the song..

Oh man, i love your posts :D I'm bad,lol

The Lithium
10-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Hahahah, we all are! ;)

GregS
10-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Lol. Ye well iam a Stapp fan of course but so far he hasent seemed 2 impress me or many of you. I mean i like the great divide song but not the video and Surround me. Lets just pray the album isnt going to be a flop.

Trimontana
10-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Lol. Ye well iam a Stapp fan of course but so far he hasent seemed 2 impress me or many of you. I mean i like the great divide song but not the video and Surround me. Lets just pray the album isnt going to be a flop.

The difference is that i am not a Stapp fan :cool:
But i really wish that if you buy his album the money spend on it will be really worth it *coughABROCKScough*

Chase
10-16-2005, 01:46 PM

Oh my young Scottish friend... just wait and see. I don't think it will eclipse any of Creed's efforts, but I wouldn't be surprised if its more succesful than Alter Bridge's debut album. If an album is good, but doesn't sell well... I don't view it as a flop. "One Day Remains" was good, but not a breakout album really. Which is sad.

Ana4Stapp
10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, but Eddie and Chris Cornell are 40 and 41. Stapp is 33. He hasn't learned how to preserve it.

Not intending to add 'fire' on it :D ... but waht about Myles? How old is he?

Bridge of Clay
10-16-2005, 03:09 PM
yeah, but Cornell's voice improved a lot between Audioslave albuns and there's a reason for that: he quit smoking. Stapp should quit chewing tobacco.

titan9
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah, but Cornell's voice improved a lot between Audioslave albuns and there's a reason for that: he quit smoking. Stapp should quit chewing tobacco.

Stapp chews tobacco? Didn't know that. I agree, he does need to quit chewing tobacco, not only to hopefully help his vocal cords, but also to reduce his chances of getting lung cancer.

Ana, I believe Myles is 36 or 37, but I am not positive on that.

SecretWeapon
10-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Stapp chews tobacco? Didn't know that. I agree, he does need to quit chewing tobacco, not only to hopefully help his vocal cords, but also to reduce his chances of getting lung cancer.

mouth cancer ........

eusebioCBR
10-16-2005, 05:56 PM
It's sort of Creed like. It's just not that great. The music market changes so quickly. Is the world going to notice more Creed retread?

Trimontana
10-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Not intending to add 'fire' on it :D ... but waht about Myles? How old is he?

Myles is 35. Myles doesnt drink alcohol, Myles doesnt smoke, Myles hides to the tour bus straight away to rest when he finishes signing and taking pics with the fans after the gigs. Plus Myles is in a great shape for his age. I dont think Myles and Scott have anything in common. Myles looks after him and his voice and Stappy doesnt..full stop.

titan9
10-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually, a friend of mine's brother used to supposedly be one of Myles drinking buddies. I can't say for sure, though, but I'm assuming that this was back during or before the MF4 days. I could be wrong. If he doesn't drink alcohol at all now, he's definitely changed, based on what my friend told me. My friend is from Seattle, btw.

I do agree, though, Myles seems to take good care of himself, which is good. That alone should preserve his voice for many years. He shows no signs of slowing down, of losing his range.

Creed7352
10-16-2005, 09:03 PM
myles has actually gotten stronger and better with each new album...from citizen swing day to mf4 days...from fallout to ab and one day remains...the progression is very evident. i hope he continues this trend :D

PrtytilImPurple
10-16-2005, 09:50 PM

Don't see where he can't have forgiven them, but still not be interested in a Creed reunion.

PrtytilImPurple
10-16-2005, 09:58 PM

I refuse to buy the new Audioslave CD. So far I've only cared for their last single. I hated the first two. I'd pay to download the songs I like, but I'm not gonna buy the CD. I loved the first CD...but was every disappointed in the second.

Ana4Stapp
10-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I refuse to buy the new Audioslave CD. So far I've only cared for their last single. I hated the first two. I'd pay to download the songs I like, but I'm not gonna buy the CD. I loved the first CD...but was every disappointed in the second.

You should reconsider your decision, cause Out of Exile is a great album,(and Cornell does an excellent job with his voice, despite his 'age') with amazing lyrics like Heaven is Dead and The Curse ...the last one, by the way is my favorite as you can easily notice in my sig... ;)

Dogstar
10-16-2005, 10:49 PM
You should reconsider your decision, cause Out of Exile is a great album,(and Cornell does an excellent job with his voice, despite his 'age') with amazing lyrics like Heaven is Dead and The Curse ...the last one, by the way is my favorite as you can easily notice in my sig... ;)
I was really disappointed with the new album :(. I like maybe four songs or so. It just didn't have any staying power with me as far as an album goes. I still play the debut all the time.

Ana4Stapp
10-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I was really disappointed with the new album :(. I like maybe four songs or so. It just didn't have any staying power with me as far as an album goes. I still play the debut all the time.

Oh...even though I respect your opinion...I really loved this album and played it everyday for a long while... :D

Dogstar
10-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Oh...even though I respect your opinion...I really loved this album and played it everyday for a long while... :D
That's cool. I do like #1 Zero. That's my favorite of the ones I like :D.

Ana4Stapp
10-16-2005, 11:11 PM
myles has actually gotten stronger and better with each new album...from citizen swing day to mf4 days...from fallout to ab and one day remains...the progression is very evident. i hope he continues this trend :D

Despite his amazing voice, and listening to MF4 songs I hope he writes all the lyrics for the next Alter Bridge album...
Overflow, for instance has one of the most beautiful verses I know ;)

And yes, Keri, #1 Zero is an awesome song...how could I forget that? how? :eek: lol

Creed7352
10-17-2005, 02:24 AM
i actually prefer the newer audioslave album to the first...i can't wait for the new VR record whenever that comes out...i'd like to hear more from them.

Chase
10-17-2005, 03:17 AM

Really?! I love the fact that the new album is more Soundgarden-esque! I'm not sure which one I enjoy more though.

Dogstar
10-17-2005, 03:18 AM
Really?! I love the fact that the new album is more Soundgarden-esque! I'm not sure which one I enjoy more though.

Chris sounds great and all, but I don't know, the music, for the most part seems kind of boring.

cariocawlad
10-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Yes! Audioslave rules! They're my favorite band with AB! Cornell teachs how to sing in the new album, hes is in great form! And the lyrics is f#cking awesome!
We can't forget Tom Morello making some miracles with his guitar! I think the new bands and artists could learn a lot with this guys...

Ana4Stapp
10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
According to PBF that's it:

Surround Me
They say no man's an island
But I tend to disagree
I guess they've never seen my island
And where it lies at sea

Lost inside my memory
Still in disbelief
If I could paint a picture for you
This is what you'll see

I'm down on my knees
Begging you to rescue me
Please stop me, don't let me run
Surround me
Surround me now
Surround me now

A wounded man sounds desperate
When he's lost all his beliefs
Can you look into my eyes
And say you won't betray me

I'm running out of time
How precious time can be
I'm counting all the moments
Of the times you could have held me

I'm down on my knees
Begging you to rescue me
Surround me
Surround me now
Surround me now

I'm down on my knees
Begging you to rescue me
Surround me
Surround me

I'm down on my knees
Begging you to rescue me
Surround me
Surround me

I'm down on my knees
Begging you to rescue me
Surround me
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now
Surround me now

Music and lyrics by Scott Stapp

Not a great song/lyrics, but a little better than TGD :D even though the lyrics structure is not original: the same 'questions' are present in Relearn Love and Great Divide...

uncertaindrumer
10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I love #1 Zero. Awesome song, definitely my favorite on the album.

I couldn't stand the first album. Just generic radio rock almost from beginning to end. OOE has some weird points but at least they were trying some new stuff. I love it.

And Myles is 36 by now isn't he? Because He was 35 like... last August...

uncertaindrumer
10-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Those lyrics stink. I haven't heard the song yet but he just repeats the chorus four times? lame. Not even a blasted INTERLUDE? really lame.

Ana4Stapp
10-17-2005, 10:34 AM
And Myles is 36 by now isn't he? Because He was 35 like... last August...

These are the info according to abb.net:
Name: Myles Kennedy
Birthdate: November 27, 1969
Hometown: Spokane, WA

And yeah, Myles is still 35. :D

in reality
10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I thought Stapp's age is 32, not 33. I really like Surround Me, great song by him. Didn't even hear the cd version of it yet.

Ana4Stapp
10-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Those lyrics stink. I haven't heard the song yet but he just repeats the chorus four times? lame. Not even a blasted INTERLUDE? really lame.

I was thinking the same thing...and even though I like this song better than TGD ,must admmit its extremelly repetitive...so different from Creeds lyrics...

...what definitely makes me think IF Stapp was the real author of them... :confused:

titan9
10-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I love #1 Zero. Awesome song, definitely my favorite on the album.

I couldn't stand the first album. Just generic radio rock almost from beginning to end. OOE has some weird points but at least they were trying some new stuff. I love it.

I agree, I also did not care much for that first CD. But I really do love OOE, and I think my favorite track is "Doesn't Remind Me". I've heard varying opinions on which CD is better. I personally think the second one is better, but my bro owns both and doesn't like the second one all that much. OOE does have some weird points, but at least they are being creative.

I thought Stapp's age is 32, not 33. I really like Surround Me, great song by him. Didn't even hear the cd version of it yet.

You're correct about that. Stapp was born in '73, not '72, so he's 32, not 33.

...what definitely makes me think IF Stapp was the real author of them...

I still believe he did the majority of the lyrics, but I do think Mark helped out more than we previously thought. The reason why I believe that Stapp did most of the lyrics is that Creed's lyrics, imo, seem to fit what Stapp was going through at that point in his life. Those lyrics, at least the way I interpret them, paint a picture of a struggling Christian, someone who is constantly questioning things.

I think the reason why Stapp's lyrics are so different from Creed's is that he is a changed man, as far as Religion is concerned. No longer does he question God like he did in the Creed lyrics; he embraces his relationship with God, his spirituality. Lyrics are so personal, and when you're a song writer, what you go through in your personal life typically greatly effects what you write about and how you do so. I'm a lyricist, and everything that I have gone through in the last year and a half(and it's a lot, as far as my spirituality is concerned) have greatly influenced what I write about in my lyrics. Stapp's very content with his current spiritual state, and I think that the lyrics reflect that.

Bridge of Clay
10-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't know... if you compare to MOP and Human Clay, they're downhill I think. But comparing to Weathered, I'd say it's in the same level.

Don't get me wrong, I like W. better than MOP... but the lyrics weren't as good.

Ana4Stapp
10-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Stapp's very content with his current spiritual state, and I think that the lyrics reflect that.

And it means these lyrics being so 'poor' ? It should be the opposite... :rolleyes:

Bridge of Clay
10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
And it means these lyrics being so 'poor' ? It should be the opposite... :rolleyes:
he just means it's easier to write when you're pissed, frustrated or dealing with issues than when you're happy.

I don't know if you're religious or not. But when you're in trouble, people claim to God desperately. But when things are doing fine, they will tell everybody and cheer before they remember to thank God.

It's part of human nature...

johellion
10-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Myles is 35. Myles doesnt drink alcohol, Myles doesnt smoke, Myles hides to the tour bus straight away to rest when he finishes signing and taking pics with the fans after the gigs. Plus Myles is in a great shape for his age. I dont think Myles and Scott have anything in common. Myles looks after him and his voice and Stappy doesnt..full stop.

You are right Trimontana...Myles does take very good care of himself. Plus Myles had voice lessons, and knows how to sing correctly without straining his vocal cords. When Creed started, I had talked to Scott, and he was saying his throat was hurting after a show. He had never had voice lessons. I told him he needed to do that. I think he did, but the damage had been done.Knowing how to sing correctly, makes a BIG difference!! I can tell the major changes in Scotts voice over the years!!! He would have to do retake after retake when in the studio cutting albums to get that high note just right!!

Yes, and I believe Britney and Ashley use that studio equipment all the time to enhance their voice,.... but I think they can use that equipment when singing live too!!

Bridge of Clay
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
hey johellion! ;)

Glad to see you back around here!

titan9
10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't know... if you compare to MOP and Human Clay, they're downhill I think. But comparing to Weathered, I'd say it's in the same level.

Don't get me wrong, I like W. better than MOP... but the lyrics weren't as good.

Actually, I personally like MOP best of all. I think lyrically, vocally and musically it is better than HC and Weathered. I still like HC a lot, though.

he just means it's easier to write when you're pissed, frustrated or dealing with issues than when you're happy.

I don't know if you're religious or not. But when you're in trouble, people claim to God desperately. But when things are doing fine, they will tell everybody and cheer before they remember to thank God.

That was exactly what I meant. It IS easier to write when you're ticked off than when you're happy. I speak from experience. My least creative work, as a lyricist, is the songs in which I express happiness. My most creative work, on the other hand, is in the songs in which I express frustration, or anger, or unhappiness. It is just so much easier to find the right words, the right structure in that type of song for me.

I just think that because Stapp has changed, that is the reason why his lyrics are so different.

johellion
10-17-2005, 01:40 PM
hey johellion! ;)

Glad to see you back around here!

Hey there!!! I live in the diaster zone, was without electricity for about 3 weeks, and then my modem was out, so I am catching up on everything!!! How have you been?

Bridge of Clay
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
that sucks. glad you're ok! :)

Still waiting Brian and his friends come down to Brazil for a gig! hehehe

Ana4Stapp
10-17-2005, 04:37 PM

You know Marcos, despite the religion thing (and not Im not much religious... :D ) I still think its related to the TALENT...or you have it or ... :rolleyes:

Bridge of Clay
10-17-2005, 09:01 PM
it's down to talent, but talent is nothing without inspiration or motivation.

Stapp proved he has talent back in the day. But as Mark said, maybe music isn't his priority anymore...

The Lithium
10-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Stapp proved he has talent back in the day. But as Mark said, maybe music isn't his priority anymore...
Yeah, that may be true... Flip also said that Stapp always would go like: "Being a singer was my second choise. I always wanted to be an athlet", etc.

And for all of those who are gonna misunderstand this; Mark did say maybe music isn't his priority anymore.

uncertaindrumer
10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Can't write as well when not depressed? I find that a laughable jump to conclusions...

Ana4Stapp
10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
it's down to talent, but talent is nothing without inspiration or motivation.

Oh, My God...I didnt say Stapp has no talent to(good!!) write songs, even though I CANT understand why his latest songs are SO poor concerning to the lyrics and they were so good in Creed... By the way, I'm listening to My Own Prison and what a difference!!!! :rolleyes:

And I'm not a lyricist, dont have the TALENT, but I also think that you CAN write good songs if you are in a GREAT MOOD...well, I dont know...maybe Im wrong... :D

Robin101
10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Eight years have passed since My Own Prison. I think most peoples lives have changed in that time so it comes as no suprise that the lyrics Stapp has written for The Great Divide are different.

His priorities, inspiration and religious state have all changed since then. I can still hear the 'essence of Creed' in his music. One thing that stood out for me in Creeds music was the intimacy compared to most rock bands - it was as if they were singing 'to you' as opposed to 'for you' - that is evident in Stapps lyrics concerning TGD and Surround Me.

It surprises me that most people who like MOP still question who wrote the lyrics - most Creed fans know the origins of songs like Torn and MOP.

As for TGD and Surround Me - I love them both. His voice sounds fine to me. I thought SM was a great performance - with the exception of the opening line 'They say no maAAAAn's an island....'

Alter Bridge done a fine job with ODR and I'm predicting Stapp to do well too.
It doesn't really matter, but I think he will sell more albums. That's only my opinion.

Take Care

Ana4Stapp
10-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Eight years have passed since My Own Prison. I think most peoples lives have changed in that time so it comes as no suprise that the lyrics Stapp has written for The Great Divide are different.

His priorities, inspiration and religious state have all changed since then. I can still hear the 'essence of Creed' in his music. One thing that stood out for me in Creeds music was the intimacy compared to most rock bands - it was as if they were singing 'to you' as opposed to 'for you' - that is evident in Stapps lyrics concerning TGD and Surround Me.

Well, I admmit that his lyrics changed, of course; but the real problem is that NOW they are no more synonym of great lyrics, not even good ones (as they were in Creed) and its easy to everyone notice it; MOP, for instance has great songs with awesome lyrics. Still an amazing album.

And despite all the religion present in Stapps latest songs (RL,TGD and SM) I still think they are bad (especially lyrics) and I CANT see (until now) any vestige of the Creed essence in his music...

Mrprophetman
10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
I CANT see (until now) any vestige of the Creed essence in his music...

You have seen lyrics from three songs, one of which will probably not even be on the Great Divide. Why don't you wait until the CD comes out, and you have the opportunity to read all the lyrics, to make your prediction.

tremonti4life04
10-21-2005, 11:45 PM
I still think this scott stapp guy is ripping off the singer for creed...

uncertaindrumer
10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
XD

Rocketqueen
10-23-2005, 12:00 AM
I still think this scott stapp guy is ripping off the singer for creed...
:) well yes of course HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i mean when you fricking do it so well why the hell not !!!! GREAT RIP OFF :jam: :jam: :jam:

Muad'Dib
10-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Well, I admmit that his lyrics changed, of course; but the real problem is that NOW they are no more synonym of great lyrics, not even good ones (as they were in Creed) and its easy to everyone notice it; MOP, for instance has great songs with awesome lyrics. Still an amazing album.

And despite all the religion present in Stapps latest songs (RL,TGD and SM) I still think they are bad (especially lyrics) and I CANT see (until now) any vestige of the Creed essence in his music...

Agree. I dont see how his lyrical style has changed so much since Creed, even Weathered lyrics were 10x better this this tripe (only my opinion before anyone whinges). Theres no imagery, no thinking bout meanings of songs. Its just handed to you on a plate. The lyrics mean nothing to me, but I suppose I can see some people relating to it. If the album follows the same approach as the 2 songs ive heard then I cant see myself enjoying it

Ana4Stapp
10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
:) well yes of course HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i mean when you fricking do it so well why the hell not !!!! GREAT RIP OFF :jam: :jam: :jam:

I think i know this kind of post ...hum...creedsister??????? am I crazy? :confused:

Ana4Stapp
10-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Agree. I dont see how his lyrical style has changed so much since Creed, even Weathered lyrics were 10x better this this tripe (only my opinion before anyone whinges).

Exactly! ;)

Rocketqueen
10-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I think i know this kind of post ...hum...creedsister??????? am I crazy? :confused: :confused: hell yes sweetpea haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i just wanted to make a simple damn post to say i loved the song Surround me kix Ass with all the conversation in this thread i felt off topic to just say hey i liked the damn song now how crazy is that :D

ElektrikBluz
10-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Agree. I dont see how his lyrical style has changed so much since Creed, even Weathered lyrics were 10x better this this tripe (only my opinion before anyone whinges). Theres no imagery, no thinking bout meanings of songs. Its just handed to you on a plate. The lyrics mean nothing to me, but I suppose I can see some people relating to it. If the album follows the same approach as the 2 songs ive heard then I cant see myself enjoying it

I totally respect your opinion, and I'm sure that plenty of others agree with you. I happen to be 'some people relating to it'. For me, the lyrics in The Great Divide have tremendous meaning, and I enjoy listening to it as much as songs like 'Higher'. I can certainly understand why someone might not like his new material if they can't relate to his lyrics, though. However, I can relate to the lyrics that were written with Creed as well as his new material.

And, although they have a great sound, I can't relate so much to the lyrics coming from AB. They seem so dark and depressing and hopeless to me...At least much of Creed's and Stapp's new lyrics are uplifting...not fatalistic. That is my own opinion, of course...but maybe that explains why some people really get into Stapp's new stuff, and others don't. :stapp:

titan9
10-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forums, Elektrik! It's always good to see new people around here.

I agree with you, I can relate to the lyrics to this song, just as I could to the Relearn Love lyrics. I admit that the songs aren't unbelieveable, musically, but I do really enjoy both songs.

ElektrikBluz
10-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanx titan...it's good to be among kindred spirits! :thumbsup:

I just recently bought the Best of Creed, and had the whole set looping over and over through my headphones at work today...it just never gets old! Creed was an amazing combination of talent, and I don't know if the separate bands will be able to pull it off at that level again...sometimes the whole really is greater than the sum of the individual parts! I'll just be glad when the finger-pointing is past, and they can focus on their own individual strengths! Show us what you can do guys!

At this point, I can just relate much more to Scott's journey than I can to the lyrics in AB, though I have to admit, they play some great music! Scott is obviously still struggling with some personal issues, and it takes time to complete the kinds of changes that he has been gong through lately. It just bothers me to see how so many people want to criticize him for everything he says or does that doesn't match up to the standard of perfection they try to hold him to. Geez...I'm glad I'm not under that kind of attack...I doubt if I could hold up as well as he has, and still come off looking like a kind and decent human being! As someone infinitely wiser than me said: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", and "Why do you try to remove the speck from your brother's eye when you have a log in your own? First remove the log from your own eye, then you can see well enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye!". Just my :2cents: