Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Alterbridge Review-Download Festival [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Alterbridge Review-Download Festival

UK_Bridge
08-18-2005, 03:49 PM
finally i found a professional review of the download festival performance on a rock music site and what i read was pure and utter rubbish and by the time i had finished reading it i wanted to smash my computer screen i was so annoyed.

agggghhhhhhhh

so here goes.....

Alter Bridge distilled the spirit of Pearl Jam and drank it. There can be know no other explanation for the fact that they sound just like Pearl Jam, with the singer doing his best Eddie Vedder impression. It's quite unfortunate because they actually want to be Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Alter Bridge can be classed as a grunge band, but then again, perhaps not. This is probably to do with the titles - such as 'Chance To Feel Alive' and I think perhaps it's because down to the vocals. The singer, bless him, is trying to be charismatic but I think he falls some way short. The second song on offer is heavier, but there is still a melody somewhere in their music, which balances it out. Despite the '80s twist, there's a modern feel that is trying to get out alongside a hint of blues trying to make itself heard. It's puzzling how they ended up on the main stage, as there are better metal acts on the two smaller stages today.

Another off putting thing is how the sound keeps dipping up and down. Alter Bridge are another band to fall victim to poor sound this weekend. 'This is cool shit, I wanna thank each and every one of you for coming' - he may be grateful, but I sure as hell wasn't so impressed. They chose to follow this nugget of information up with the strangest take on 'Sonnez Lementina' with a single guitar melody ringing out - it's almost a ballad (well it pretty much is). It's also pretty unsettling with off-key vocals, and for a short moment it seems they're trying to out-System of a Down, System of a Down.

When a mention of Sabbath got a bigger cheer than most of their own material, I think the crowd are trying to tell them something. This doesn't deter Alter Bridge from trying to get the crowd cheering and getting into it, but it really doesn't work.

If somebody can tell me why they deserved to be on the main stage, then they deserve a prize, but, to be honest, I don't think it's possible - it's about time the spirit of Pearl Jam was given a rest.

Anna1011
08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
i could rant but im gonna save my fingers the achein

Bullets
08-19-2005, 12:19 AM
WHAT the hell was that reviewer smokin'!!!! :smokin: lol - so tell me, does Eddie Vedder now sound like EVERYONE? Christ - Stapp was supposed to be the Vedder rip-off, now they think Myles sounds like him too? Stapp and Myles don't even sound similar - two totally different pitches of voice - so that review was a waste of internet space if you ask me - just some biased ex-creed hater now moving on to hating Alter Bridge so oh well - no such thing as a band that NO ONE hates :P

Just a closing note:
I don't think either Stapp or Myles sounds like Vedder at all! :eek:

GregS
08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Ye that review was alot of shit. Myles sounds nothing like Vedder and they always put on a gr8 performance...

titan9
08-19-2005, 11:52 AM
I hate that comparison(comparing them to PJ). I hated it when people compared Creed to PJ and I now hate it when people have the guts to compare AB to PJ. You have to be on some sort of drug to compare AB to PJ. Myles sounds NOTHING like Vedder. The music sounds NOTHING like PJ. If you have to compare AB to any other band, let it be Audioslave, because you could at least make a comparison between Myles and Cornell. Even then, AB is not an Audioslave clone.

I absolutely loath it when a newspaper/web site sends an idiot to review a concert. My hometown paper sent an idiot to review Alter Bridge's concert in my hometown. Let's just say that it dwelled more on Creed(and Stapp) then it did on AB. Not only that, but the inevitable comparison(Creed/PJ) came up a couple of times. Oh yeah, the reviewer had the GUTS to say that Myles was just a cheap version of Stapp. He did complement them and said that they put on an amazing liveshow, but the review was still mainly negative. At that point, I thought that the guy knew nothing about music. Sure enough, he did another review a couple of weeks later for the Dark New Day concert in my hometown. Guess what? The idiot said that Clint Lowery was their lead vocalist. Hmmm, could have sworn that Brett Hestla was. I think if you're gonna send someone to review a concert, send someone who knows his stuff. Don't send a Britney Spears fan to review an Alter Bridge concert.

Dogstar
08-20-2005, 06:29 PM
This guy couldn't have gone to the show. Anyone with half an ear can hear that Myles sounds absolutely nothing like Eddie Vedder. I would give that person zero credibility. And what's with sloggin' on PJ??? I LOVE THEM :D.

Bridge of Clay
08-20-2005, 10:24 PM
i could rant but im gonna save my fingers the achein

yeah that.

UK_Bridge
08-21-2005, 03:20 PM
you know what also the review says that myles was out of tune etc which is complete rubbish then at the end says "If somebody can tell me why they deserved to be on the main stage, then they deserve a prize, but, to be honest, I don't think it's possible" well i can tell them why 1) kerrang magazine voted them oe of the best live acts to see in 2005.
2) been nominated for album of the year by "Classic Rock" magazine. im sure thats deserving enough right?

Creed7352
10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
i've got this show on dvd and myles is definitely NOT off key...that guy is on crack!