Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Commercial success!? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Commercial success!?

renbergs
01-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Where to put this question? On Alter Bridge or on Scott Stapp? Well, let's put in between! ;)

Which album do you think will be most commercial successful? AB:s One Day Remains or Scott Stapp's upcoming solo album?

caseycarson
01-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I bet they'll do about the same. AB went gold. Probably won't ever go platinum at this point. Stapp will probably have the same success unless he has a huge breakout hit.....AB hasn't had that BIG hit yet.

Bridge of Clay
01-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Stapp, no doubt about it. His effort will be way more radio friendly and will reach more audiences and radios than AB's sound.

Higher_Desire
01-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I voted for Alter Bridge. My reasoning is this: Most anti-Creed sentaments were directed mainly at Stapp. I never heard anything against the other guys (except for Brian after he left). I believe that people who refuse to listen to Creed because of Stapp would listen to AB. Stapp, on the other hand, may have some trouble. Especially considering the things I shouldn't say. *cough* Chicago *cough* Prednizone *cough* Weathered Tour *cough*.

H-D :pimp:

RMadd
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
ditto to what Colin said. most people hated (or, if that be too strong a word, disliked) Creed because of Stapp & his actions. it's comparable (though not to the same degree) to Fred Durst & Limp Bizkit. I (and prolly many others) dislike Limp solely b/c Durst's a dick. Nothing against the other fellas; I don't even know who they are. And the same could likely be said for Mark, Flip & Brian.

titan9
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
You know what, this is something I've thought about since the break up. And I've always come to this conculsion:Stapp will have more success on pop(mainstream) radio and Alter Bridge will have more success on Rock radio. I just have this gut feeling about it, that Stapp will have an extremely successful solo career and will sell millions of records. Yeah, some of the media will still hate him, but they hate artists like Ashlee Simpson, and she's sold tons of records. I think Stapp's music will be too "soft" for Rock radio, while Alter Bridge will enjoy great success on Rock radio. I do have a feeling that Broken Wings will be a huge radio hit, though, and that will get AB into the mainstream. But overall, I think Stapp will be highly successful on the mainstream stations(because his music will probably be pop radio friendly) and Alter Bridge will be highly successful on the Rock stations. It's just a gut feeling.

The Lithium
01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I bet they'll do about the same. AB went gold. Probably won't ever go platinum at this point. Stapp will probably have the same success unless he has a huge breakout hit.....AB hasn't had that BIG hit yet.
How much did Metallica's first album "Kill 'Em All" sell at the start? Well, NOT much. But now they're famous and it has done really well!! So when AB releases their second or thired album ODR my go far beyond Platinum.

Stapp, no doubt about it. His effort will be way more radio friendly and will reach more audiences and radios than AB's sound.
I agree about the radio friendly stuff, but I doubt he will be more successfull than AB.

titan9
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
As I said, I think he'll be more successful on pop radio. Really, I don't know whether AB or Stapp will be more successful overall. Personally, I'd like to see them both do equally good. Though I doubt AB or Stapp will ever be able to achieve the amount of success that Creed did. But it could happen.

Higher_Desire
01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
You know what, this is something I've thought about since the break up. And I've always come to this conculsion:Stapp will have more success on pop(mainstream) radio and Alter Bridge will have more success on Rock radio.
I can see where your going with this, and I think I agree with you. Afterall, I have heard Relearn Love played on Air1 (Christian radio) a few times. It'd be a bit of a switch (Stapp on more Pop-ish stations) but I could probably get use to it.

it's comparable (though not to the same degree) to Fred Durst & Limp Bizkit. I (and prolly many others) dislike Limp solely b/c Durst's a dick. Nothing against the other fellas;
Yeah. Fred Durst is douche. I use to know the rest of the guys names (when I was in High School) but don't care enough to remember them. Except for Wes Borland. He played either guitar or bass. Can't remember which.

titan9
01-11-2005, 09:19 PM
I've never been a Limp Bizkit fan, but I think Durst is an idiot. But like I've said before, I really only try to pay attention to the music. I know what's been said about Stapp, but I don't care. The music is what matters to me.

I've never heard Relearn Love on the radio, but I've never listened to Air 1. I do occasionally listen to the local Christian stations(and I've heard some good stuff) but mainly stick to the Rock stations. I don't think Wind Up gave RL the push it deserved. What happened to that music video? It was made but never was released.

HigherGirl
01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I think it will be close.. AB sounds great as a band and Scotts voice alone will sell!

Trees of Wisdom
01-13-2005, 01:50 AM
Stapp's voice won't sell. Firstly, he sucks at singing and people are pretty much over the barritone voice. Alter Bridge does need a big single to boost their sales. Maroon 5 started off slow, but once they released "This Love" or whatever it's called, they went up in the charts and finally got into the Billboard 200. OYE was a bad choice as a single, but BW and DTML are sure to bring them into the top 200 again.

The Lithium
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Stapp's voice won't sell. Firstly, he sucks at singing and people are pretty much over the barritone voice.
Yeah, that's problably why Creed never made it big. :rolleyes:

Alter Bridge does need a big single to boost their sales. Maroon 5 started off slow, but once they released "This Love" or whatever it's called, they went up in the charts and finally got into the Billboard 200. OYE was a bad choice as a single, but BW and DTML are sure to bring them into the top 200 again.
I think Broken Wings will be that boost!

Steve
01-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Stapp's voice won't sell. Firstly, he sucks at singing and people are pretty much over the barritone voice. Alter Bridge does need a big single to boost their sales. Maroon 5 started off slow, but once they released "This Love" or whatever it's called, they went up in the charts and finally got into the Billboard 200. OYE was a bad choice as a single, but BW and DTML are sure to bring them into the top 200 again.

First of all, you know that engineers can do wonders with technology to make your voice sound good on an album... so a voice isn't an issue. Stapp can sound good on an album. It's the live performance that I question.

I'm not really sure as far as commercial success goes, but I would have to say that Scott Stapp would probably have an edge over Alter Bridge, if he ever releases an album, simply because of the fact that (and I'm assuming) his songs will be more radio-friendly. His songs will probably hit several station formats - Rock, Alt-Rock, Top 40, Pop, etc. So far Alter Bridge has really only hit Rock stations. I guess that could change with Broken Wings, but who knows until it's released.

Let's remember, commercial success doesn't mean anyone is better than one another. I'm sure many here hated when Creed got so big. I know I did. I found it much more enjoying to see Creed play at smaller venues. The outdoor ampitheaters, although were amazing to see them play at, just didn't have the same feel as the smaller arenas and/or 1,000 seat venues.

Mulletman
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I agree with Steve, I think its that anti-creed sentiment that will boost Stapp's career over Alter Bridge. Stapp musical choice has always been radio friendly. If you compare all the Anti-Creed kiddies and the bashers we get, you'll notice that thier musical flavor is pretty much the same and not as radio friendly. For example, Compare Open Your Eyes to Relearn Love. As for his voice, anyone with motivation and the appropriate software can make Myles sounds like a real man. Not to mention its not concerts that get the musicians rich, its thier CD sales. Dont agree, look at these metal bands that ONLY do summer festivals.

Higher_Desire
01-13-2005, 01:54 PM
First of all, you know that engineers can do wonders with technology to make your voice sound good on an album... so a voice isn't an issue. Stapp can sound good on an album. It's the live performance that I question.
Yeah, just look at Blink 182. Their albums sound awesome yet they suck live. Albums make Mark Hoppus sound a lot less monotone. (IMO)

Mulletman
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Exactly, look at Blink. Proves that you can be completely devoid of all talent and still make it rich.

Unforgiven Fan
01-13-2005, 02:17 PM
both will not be a big seller...probably make 1 to 3 albums and that is it...that is my prediction anyway....

titan9
01-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Like I've said, I think Stapp still has it. Maybe he's not the same vocalist as he was in Creed(based on the live stuff I've heard from him before he had all those vocal problems, he was an awesome vocalist live just like he was on the albums) but I still think he's good. I don't think that's the studios and their technology. I think it's Stapp. Now I do think it's the studios and their technology that make Ashlee Simpson's vocals on the albums acceptable, but that's a whole other story.:laugh:

Higher_Desire
01-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Exactly, look at Blink. Proves that you can be completely devoid of all talent and still make it rich.
Which means there's still hope for me :D lol.

Ana4Stapp
01-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Like I've said, I think Stapp still has it. Maybe he's not the same vocalist as he was in Creed(based on the live stuff I've heard from him before he had all those vocal problems, he was an awesome vocalist live just like he was on the albums) but I still think he's good. I don't think that's the studios and their technology. I think it's Stapp. Now I do think it's the studios and their technology that make Ashlee Simpson's vocals on the albums acceptable, but that's a whole other story.:laugh:

You're right: it's Stapp. He's good.:)

Torn Daredevil
01-23-2005, 03:46 PM
You're right: it's Stapp. He's good.:)No, his voice sucks now. But no doubt it could be made to sound decent on an album. I just don't think his album is ever gonna come out...

PrtytilImPurple
03-28-2005, 09:21 PM
No, his voice sucks now. But no doubt it could be made to sound decent on an album. I just don't think his album is ever gonna come out...

Oh. I think it will. His album I mean.

tremonti4life04
03-29-2005, 12:36 AM
I honestly think that AB will make it further. I wouldnt exactly count stapp out yet, but most people who didnt like creed, didnt like them because of stapp. I think that alter bridge has yet to throw a song out there that will launch them, and i also believe that the song that would get them out there is One Day Remains, because its extremely catchy, and has an uplifting feel to it. Stapp might skyrocket tho, you never know, but i believe that Alter Bridge realllllly needs to get ODR out on the radio so that more people can experience the epic side of alter bridge. Its my opinion that ODR would put them that much further ahead of stapp if it came down to it.

titan9
03-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I dunno, but I still see Stapp having more commercial success, that is if he ever releases his solo album. I just think his music is going to be alot more pop radio friendly and, thus, will get more airplay than AB on those stations. Even if people hated Creed 'cause of Stapp, it doesn't really matter. Lots of people hate Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson, yet they still get alot of airplay on pop radio. So, honestly, I don't see the hatred of Stapp/Creed being a problem for Stapp when it comes to pop radio airplay, which I think he'll get plenty of. But, on the other hand, I do see it being a problem on Rock stations. I can't see Stapp being successful on Rock stations, especially if his music is on the lighter side, which I expect it to be.(that isn't a bad thing, though)

PrtytilImPurple
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I can't see Stapp being successful on Rock stations, especially if his music is on the lighter side, which I expect it to be.(that isn't a bad thing, though)

I don't really get why people are assuming it will be pop music. From what I have read Stapp is a big fan of classic rock. The record has a rock producer, and I've heard goneblind. They aren't a pop band. Sure Stapp's stuff will be more radio friendly, but that doesn't automatically translate into Pop music. Creed's stuff was radio friendly and it certainly wasn't Pop music. I actually think that some people are going to be very surprised. Especially those who are just waiting for the guy to fail miserably. I just don't think that's going to happen.

Ann Allusion
03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't really get why people are assuming it will be pop music.

Nor do I...but the key word here is ASSUMING... ;)

From what I have read Stapp is a big fan of classic rock. The record has a rock producer, and I've heard goneblind. They aren't a pop band. Sure Stapp's stuff will be more radio friendly, but that doesn't automatically translate into Pop music. Creed's stuff was radio friendly and it certainly wasn't Pop music.

Exactly... :D

I actually think that some people are going to be very surprised. Especially those who are just waiting for the guy to fail miserably. I just don't think that's going to happen.

I'm thinking that "surprised" will just be a beginning...I believe that Stapp and Gone Blind are going to blow a lot of people's minds when the album is done. Good things worth waiting for...and my feeling is, this is going to be one of those "Good Things"...:rockon:

titan9
03-30-2005, 01:18 PM
See, I never said I think it'll be "pop" music. What I said was that I think it'll be more "pop radio" friendly than whatever Alter Bridge puts out in the future. Never did I say that Stapp's music is going to be pop, or that he is going to be a pop singer. Lots of rock artists get pop radio airplay with their softer songs, you know, the ballads. It happened to Creed, it happened to Staind, it has happened to a lot of artists from the rock genre. I think Scott's music will be more ballad-ish than Alter Bridge's music, thus, I believe he'll be more successful on pop radio than on rock radio. Of course, Stapp could surprise us with no ballads and actually have a real hard sound to his music, perhaps even harder than AB's sound. Who knows. We haven't heard any of the music that will be on his solo album, so we don't know what kind of music he'll put out.

I'm really anxious to hear some of his solo album. I know it's going to be good.

PrtytilImPurple
03-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Of course, Stapp could surprise us with no ballads and actually have a real hard sound to his music, perhaps even harder than AB's sound.

Damn...I hope not. I think Alter Bridge is okay but they aren't the future of rock music in my opinion. I don't have a pop station where I live. I listen to a classic rock station and a rock station. The rock station plays just about everything you can imagine. I have nothing against ballads. I've heard stuff by goneblind. Stapp is working with a rock band. As long as it isn't too heavy I actually don't care. You never know. Stapp could have written another song like Higher. You know something that would have that kind of effect. Wouldn't that be cool.

PrtytilImPurple
03-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry. Double post

titan9
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Damn...I hope not. I think Alter Bridge is okay but they aren't the future of rock music in my opinion. I don't have a pop station where I live. I listen to a classic rock station and a rock station. The rock station plays just about everything you can imagine. I have nothing against ballads. I've heard stuff by goneblind. Stapp is working with a rock band. As long as it isn't too heavy I actually don't care. You never know. Stapp could have written another song like Higher. You know something that would have that kind of effect. Wouldn't that be cool.

Well, like I said, you never know. It could be light, it could be heavy. We just have to wait and see. I hope it is similar(but not the same) to what he did in Creed.

NeedforCreed
03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Many of us are waiting with baited breath on Stapp. Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

NeedforCreed
03-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, like I said, you never know. It could be light, it could be heavy. We just have to wait and see. I hope it is similar(but not the same) to what he did in Creed.

If it's half as good as MOP, it'll take off with a lot of us. I agree totally with the above statement.

titan9
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh, if it's even half as good as MOP, it'll rock. I believe Stapp still has it has a lyricist and vocalist, so that is why I believe his solo album will be pretty good. The backing band is really the only question mark. We don't know what they're capable of, musically.

Ana4Stapp
04-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I believe Stapp's cd is going to be good...cause he's a good singer and most of all , for what he did in Creed, specially in MOP.Let's hope for the best!
As for commercial success stuff, I think Stapp's cd will fit in this case...even more than AB, cause I think his album is going to be more soft(I mean pop) than rock(like ODR)and probably it will appears in Top 40, Top 20, etc...
Actually, I'm expecting for an album as pretty good as Alter Bridge ODR... ;)