Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Movie Talk: Romance (Chick Flicks) [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Movie Talk: Romance (Chick Flicks)

jango
09-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Part 3 of 6

Okay, I'm not a big fan of this particularly category, so the more "mushy" inclined members will probably have better lists, but beings how it's customary and all, I will post mine:

10. When Harry Met Sally...
Great dialogue, comedy. Billy Crystal's wit is enough alone.

9. The African Queen
Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn... great chemistry.

8. My Fair Lady
A witty movie, good acting by both Hepburn and Harrison.

7. Sound of Music
It doesn't matter how much testosterone you have in your body, you can't help but sing with this one.

6. Doctor Zhivago
Aside from Ben Kenobi leading you through this movie, David Lean provides another great directorial outing. No Lawrence, but a good movie, nonetheless.

5. Titanic
I HATE this movie, but it fits the category... ugh.

4. An Affair to Remember
What list like this wouldn't be complete without a Carey Grant movie?

3. Beauty and the Beast
I'm a sap for Disney, and this is their best work, period.

2. Casablanca
"They had a date with fate in Casablanca!"

1. Gone with the Wind
Counting inflation, probably the highest grossing movie of all time.

Ouch, that was rough. Time to pop in some movies with gratuitous violence and gore.

TeriB19
09-27-2002, 10:11 PM
#10 Serendipity
I love John Cusack, and he and Kate Beckinsale have real chemistry in this one.

#9 Love Story
Ryan O'Neal (before he grew old, fat and arrogant, and Ali McGraw. Old, sad and romantic.

#8 Pretty Woman
The world fell in love with Julia Roberts in this flick, it was humorous and a nice love story.

#7 Casablanca
I always wanted Ilsa to stay behind with Rick. They never end the way I want them to.

#6 Gone With The Wind
I always rooted for Rhett in this one. Didn't care for Scarlett.

#5 Always
Although it was a remake, I didn't see the original. I loved this movie and I loved Richard Dreyfus and John Goodman in it.

#4 An Affair To Remember
Not the stupid remake with Warren Beatty, the Carey Grant, Deborah Kerr one. The GOOD one. Such a beautiful movie.

#3 When Harry Met Sally
Hilarious and romantic. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan nailed it.

#2 The Quiet Man
My personal favorite John Wayne - Maureen O'Hara movie. Absolutely worth watching over and over and over. Very funny cast and just a great movie.

#1 Sleepless in Seattle
My man, Tom Hanks. He is so great in everything he does I just loved this movie.

Mulletman
09-28-2002, 03:22 PM
i havent seen many chick flicks but the one i loke the most is Notting Hill, it was a nice movie and i liked the ending. i also liked crazy/beautilful that was a really cool movie

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 03:46 PM
10. While You Were Sleeping. A fun little story that puts a new twist on falling for the brother of the one you think you love. Bill Pullman's a cutie and Peter Boyle and Peter Gallagher were a riot, as was Ally Walker. You can tell the cast had fun with it.

9. Pretty Woman. Not the biggest Julia Roberts or Richard Gere fan but this one was sweet, I admit, even if it was a well-worn theme of the good-hearted prostitute who finds true love.

8. Love Story. What TeriB said. A real tear-jerker and I hardly ever cry at the movies.

7. When Harry Met Sally. Wonderfully told story, and I could even stomach Meg Ryan in this one. The restaurant scene was so well-done and Billy Crystal was great.

6. Breakfast at Tiffany's. One of my fave Audrey Hepburn roles, and Peppard wasn't too bad, either.

5. The Breafkast Club. Not your typical romance, and more about high school and stereotyping, but it had enough elements to make this list. Plus, I just love the movie.

4. Mystic Pizza. This one featured a much thinner Vincent D'Onofrio, an unknown Julia Roberts before she became anorexic, and the very funny Lily Taylor. It's a good little story because not everyone ends up paired at the end.

3. Bridget Jones' Diary. Hugh Grant was the perfect cad in this one and I love Colin Firth. For once he didn't have to do one of those English period flicks, not that I mind them, but it was nice to see him in a more modern role. Renee Zellwegger (sp?) was a great Bridget Jones. A terrific supporting cast as well.

2. The Sound of Music. I'm a sap for this one. It was the very first movie I ever saw and repeated viewings do not diminish it in any way. And Christopher Plummer was hot in a uniform (sorry guys, couldn't help myself).

1. High Fidelity. John Cusack is great in struggling with the question of commitment. His trip toward the realization of who his true love is is a wild romp of neurotic episodes. Jack Black is wonderful comic relief.

hayley
09-28-2002, 06:26 PM
ohh my fav type of movie!;) TITANIC all da way.:P

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 06:45 PM
I tried to watch Titanic, but I couldn't get through it. That event is historically interesting in its own right and I couldn't get past the love story...A&E or Discovery Channel did a three-hour show on it, which was pretty good. Plus, not a big fan of Leo DiCaprio.

hayley
09-28-2002, 09:25 PM
UR NOT???:slap: gosh he's sexy!

GoodGodGirl23
09-28-2002, 10:32 PM
I like ol Leo too... Titanic was kewl, I bought da movie...:o But not everyone likes a everyone addicted2stapp, dats ok!!:P

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 10:41 PM
He doesn't do a thing for me, A2S, sorry:D

hayley
09-28-2002, 11:41 PM
ha ha that's alright! GGG, yes, everybody does have their own opinions!:) but there is only one thing that we all have the EXACT same opinion on, SCOTT STAPPS SEXY!!!!;) lol

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 11:54 PM
100% agree with you on that one!

hayley
09-28-2002, 11:56 PM
:stapp:

hayley
09-28-2002, 11:57 PM
:stapp: uh those eyes!!!!!!

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 02:45 AM
LOL, A2S...:cool:

Altair
09-29-2002, 10:49 AM
I like to judge a movie on it's first viewing, but realize some movies actually need more than one viewing.
For instance, Titanic flat blew me away the first time I saw it.
:kill:
It was great. I cried, I gripped the seat, and I thoroughly enjoyed this flick. It was good the 2nd time I saw it, but lost most of its impact.

Star Wars, The Phantom Menace, stunk the first time I saw it. I thought, "this is a kiddy movie." It had lost its magic. However, I had to see it a second time, and it was better. The 3rd time I saw it, I realized that there was a lot more going on in this movie than I had caught on the 1st viewing. Now, I think it's pretty good.

How about Jerry McGuire? I didn't want to leave the theater; I liked that movie so much. Great little love story.

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 02:03 PM
That was a nice movie. And Cuba Gooding Jr. was a trip.

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Cuba Gooding Jr. was the only good thing about that movie, IMHO. For some reason, I just couldn't buy the love story. I know people can have life-changing moments, but Tom Cruise, as cute as he is, couldn't convince me that he really wanted to be with Renee Z. I think he was more into the kid than her. Plus, the movie could have been about a half hour shorter. I have a hard time with movies that exceed two hours (the editor in me, I guess).

allison
09-29-2002, 06:22 PM
I will try to compile my list when I am in more of a thinking mood, but I have to add that The Breakfast Club is one of my all-time favorite movies. JUDD NELSON is SOOOOO HOT in this movie. He is hot in a Scott Stapp sort of way. Anyone know what I mean? :oogle:

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 07:56 PM
Yes Allison, I get what you are saying about Judd Nelson. In that movie he had the Stapp hair, wore the boots and had the sexy bad boy image going for him, all he was missing were the tatoos.

I would also like to mention The Breakfast Club as well as Pretty In Pink. Loved those movies (released during my formative high school years) but admit they leaned toward being 'chick flicks.'

hayley
09-29-2002, 08:06 PM
ohhh, i'll have to see this movie now....is it SUITABLE for my age group??;)

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Absolutely yes!! It was made for your age group. Made in the 80's about teenagers in high school (both flicks). Definitely worth the rental fee.

hayley
09-29-2002, 08:23 PM
oh, ok then i will get it. thanx!!!;)

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 10:10 PM
Anytime, Haley, and once you've seen them let us know what you thought of them.

Dogstar
09-30-2002, 02:26 AM
Love The Breakfast Club. John Hughes nailed high school with that one. Still watch every now and then. One of my favorite lines from Judd Nelson to the teacher: Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe (or closet, I can't remember which)? It always makes me laugh.

hayley
09-30-2002, 02:53 AM
Wha??? there's more than one???:confused:

Ruby
09-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Can only think of these right now. Am at work and sneaking a little time.

1. The English Patient

2. Wuthering Heights circa 1939

3. Beauty & the Beast Disney

4. West Side Story

5. I Am Sam

6. The Wizard Of Oz

Ruby
09-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Oh crap cant forget Beatle flicks:

A Hard Days Night

Help

Dogstar
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
Nice avatar, Ruby.

jango
09-30-2002, 12:33 PM
At first I thought it was Trent Reznor, that got a "wow" from jango, but then I saw Stapp, and that got an "oh."

As if you cared, but I just thought I'd share.

allison
09-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Haaaaaa! That's one of my favorite parts too!

"Any QUESTIONS?"
"Yeah, I got a question, does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"
"I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday. You mess with the bull, young man, and you'll get the horns."

If ANYONE here has not seen The Breakfast Club, please do yourself a favor and rent it. IMO, it's one of the funniest movies ever made.

And, like I said Judd Nelson has very Stapp-esque kind of sexiness in it.

One more of John Bender's one-liners: "Uh, Dick. Excuse me, Rich...will milk be made available to us?"

TeriB19
09-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by jango
<b>At first I thought it was Trent Reznor, that got a "wow" from jango, but then I saw Stapp, and that got an "oh."

As if you cared, but I just thought I'd share. </b> Jango we ALWAYS care about what you have to share. Some don't always agree but we always care.

Dogstar
10-01-2002, 01:02 AM
Ditto, damn straight.